Author Topic: Software version and PiB+  (Read 4905 times)

Moffrestorer

Software version and PiB+
« on: March 27, 2018, 10:58:24 am »
Hi guys,

Our PAW in the aircraft is running an early kernel 3.18.7. To get a later kernel I downloaded a complete installation image yesterday at home and thought I’d try it in my spare PAW that has a Pi B+ processor. Didn’t get a PAW WiFi hotspot so connected an HDMI monitor and it just gets as far as Noobs page that needs a keyboard to go any further. Is this likely to be correct? Just wanted to check the SD card/download to check all is OK before travelling to the airfield, especially as my PC is currently a bit flakey! The spare PAW normally runs fine on version 20170721.

Thx,

Chris

AlanG

Re: Software version and PiB+
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 02:41:35 pm »
Hi Chris

You don't say if this is a Pi1B+ or Pi2B+.  Assuming Its the latter you should be able to install the full image on to a correctly formatted SD card and then simply install it in the PAW and it should eventually boot up.  Takes about 15 - 20 mins for software to install as i'm sure you are aware.
Even if it is the older Pi1B+ the software should still load but you wouldn't have full functionality for Mode S and Audio alerts.
There is no requirement for a keyboard at any stage of the normal full installation from SD card.
Sounds like you've had a hiccup  either with the format or the transfer of the zip image to the card.

Regards
Alan

Admin

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 03:47:31 pm »
Hi Chris

can you late me know exactly which Hardware and Software revisions you are trying ?
I didn't think anyone was still running a Pi1B+ - this would have been a home build.

Thx
Lee

Moffrestorer

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 07:54:16 pm »
Hi Lee,

Both units are homebuilt. The one in the aircraft is a Pi2 and is running 20180129 that has been updated a number of times by memory stick, hence the early kernel, I’m guessing. It has been “playing up” recently as the WiFi sometimes drops out and it doesn’t communicate with EasyVFR on the iPad. A colleague has recently started using SkyDemon with it and loses WiFi upon takeoff though I believe the unit is working autonomously, pushing out P3i because I regularly see group members flying via Glidertracker and the OGN-R Ground Stations. Most of our members just use the audio alerts and don’t connect to a tablet. I witnessed this behaviour myself first hand, this Sunday. I was seeing CAT and GA OK whilst taxying but as soon as I took off I lost the visual traffic indications. The WiFi had dropped out and I appeared to be locked to the Aero Club WiFi. I powered the PAW off/on several times before I got the hot-spot back again. The number of WiFi sources the iPad was pulling in whilst airborne, low down, had to be seen to be believed! I think the problem on takeoff is that the tablet is dropping the PAW WiFi in favour of the aeroclub WiFi that is likely stronger at that point.

Once all was working OK I was able to see glider and other traffic on screen plus track to my ground station, and see all this on the iPhone as well using PilotAware Radar. Things then appeared to go awry again and I lost traffic info visually, though I still appeared to be locked to PAW hotspot on both devices. The radar screen showed  but overlaid with a message INVALID DATA or similar.

I rarely use the PAW as GPS source for the Nav program these days due to this dropping out problem, preferring the internal iPad source as more reliable in practice. Note that the PAW is plumbed into the aircraft with a PilotAware GPS mouse on the panel coaming and external P3i and ADS-B stub antennas/ cables sourced from the PilotAware shop.

It is for this reason that I want a later kernel and intend replacing the WiFi dongle and will soon be using the recommended Anker Car charger vice the EasyACC one that has always appeared to be reliable. Power cable is 0.5m Juicebitz so should be OK.

The spare PAW unit is based on the originally recommended Pi1B+, which I use for ground testing, having recently renewed its licence.

Apologies for having gone on at length!

Thx,

Chris

Moffrestorer

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 10:35:44 am »
Hi Lee et al,

Any observations or suggestions anyone can make to get around these problems would be gratefully received.

Following AlanG’s post, I shall reformat the SD card and redownload etc latest SW, re-load unzipped image ready for when I’m next at the aircraft.

Thx,

Chris

Ian Melville

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 11:06:31 am »
Hi Chris,
There is a known issue with Wi-Fi connections and loss of GPS. Causes pauses in some nav apps and dropping of the flight in others. Lee has been working on identifying and fixing the issue for some time now. The issue does not affect everyone due to the different ways we operate PAW in our aircraft. It has been a hard one to crack, but we think the light at the end of the tunnel can be seen.

I would hold off any wipe and rebuilds until the next update is released IF you are only trying to fix the above issue. I would suggest that you check that all othe phones,  tablets and laptops not used in navigation, and within Wi-Fi range, are turned off (proper 'OFF', not Sleep mode)or put in 'Airplane' mode.

We have been told that Wireless devices should not be used in aircraft, in case the interfere with the navigation kit, hence the 'Airplane' mode. To a degree, It's true 😳

Moffrestorer

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 01:32:33 pm »
Thanks Ian I’ll be patient.

The only tablets & phones I use are the iPad Mini 2 for navigating (without cellular data turned on), and generally iPhone as navigation back-up (but also in phone mode) because the iPad has been known to overheat and crash. I  will pass your comments onto my colleague with the SkyDemon app, also.

Thx,

Chris

Admin

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 05:15:04 pm »
Hi Chris

iOS has a specific prioritization of networks, listed here
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202831

so it seems PilotAware becomes a higher preference if you use a password, do you currently use a password ?

thx
Lee

Moffrestorer

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 09:21:00 pm »
Hi Lee,

This is potentially very helpful. I have tried using a password with PAW in the past but for some reason I didn’t seem able to set one up. So the answer is NO.

Thx,

Chris

Admin

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 09:21:28 am »
Hi Chris,

I also went back to an RPi1 B+. nad performed a full install of 20180129, and this went fine.

Did you perform a FULL reformat of the SD card by setting the option 'FORMAT SIZE ADJUSTMENT' on ?
before copying the contents to the SD card

Thx
Lee

Moffrestorer

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 10:13:39 am »
Hi Lee,

Yes I used “Full Overwrite” and “Size adjustment ON” format settings. I will reformat and try again. Good to know that the software will still load onto the Pi1B+.

Reference the in-flight problems listed above, I see the message I received on the iPhone that was displaying PAW radar was “NETWORK ERROR” emblazoned in red across the radar compass rose. I also seemed to have lost visual traffic indications from EasyVFR on the iPad but both devices were still showing I had the PAW hotspot selected in “settings”. I’m guessing this could not have been a WiFi connectivity problem, but something else?

Thx,

Chris

Admin

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 01:45:05 pm »
Hi Chris

I sent you an email

Thx
Lee

Moffrestorer

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 10:34:13 pm »
Thanks Lee for the info. I successfully formatted and downloaded to the SD card. The previous download must have been at fault, the compressed zip file size was only 28Kb, approx 1/10th size it should have been! Now it’s running fine on the RPi1 B+, so will transfer it to the aircraft PAW unit as soon as I can get across to it. Not this weekend I’m afraid.

Checked the Flarm Connectivity in EasyVFR and can confirm it was set to UDP. Will see how it goes.

Thx,

Chris