Author Topic: After software download - select 'install'?  (Read 3293 times)

Rogerthedodger

After software download - select 'install'?
« on: February 19, 2018, 04:00:04 pm »
I quote from page 38/39 of the instructions for software update ...

"After 20 minutes the latest software changes will have been downloaded to the Pi but the download now needs to be implemented. This is done by selecting Install."

How do I select 'Install'? After the 20 minutes is up, my PAW is sitting there plugged into power and RJ45 with no dongles etc as per instructions. So I cannot see how or where I can 'select Install'? I cannot connect to the configuration page because the WiFi dongle has been removed as per instructions to do the update.

Is there a step missing or something after the 20mins for download?

Thanks

SWP22C

Re: After software download - select 'install'?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 04:19:34 pm »
Please see my posts on updating software of yesterday. I have just used the USB method, as recommended. I think much easier that via your router.

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 04:40:36 pm »
This applies to the Automatic Software Update via Ethernet - which should probably be re-named 'Semi-Automatic ......'

Roger,

After 20 minutes, you need to power down your PAW and remove the Ethernet Cable, THEN refit the dongles and power it back up.

Connect to the PilotAware WiFi from your tablet or whatever once it appears. Log in to PilotAware from your Browser using the URL (address) 192.168.1.1, which should take you to your PilotAware's Home Screen. Select the 'Updates' Tab along the top. You should now see a 'live' 'Install' button, with 'PilotAware Version 20180129' next to it. Click on this button and wait for the install to finish.

The install process can take 10 - 15 minutes and will recycle the PilotAware, so give it at least 10 minutes or so, then check your settings to see if the PAW WiFi hotspot has re-appeared and log back in as above. WARNING: If you click on a 'cached' copy of the 192.168.1.1 page, the URL will probably now read '192.168.1.1/action.install' Before clicking 'Go' you need to delete the '/action.install' bit - or your PAW will try to reinstall the software update all over again - which of course isn't going to happen. The same applies if you ever use the 'Reboot' button - if you don't delete the '/action.reboot' bit next time round, you will be stuck in a reboot loop each time you try to log back on. You have been warned!

Otherwise it normally works fine. If you don't see the new PilotAware Version shown when you log back on, try clicking the 'Configure' Tab, then back to the 'Home Tab' or power off and restart and it should appear.

The beauty of the online / USB updates (USB is generally quicker and easier once you've tried it) is that unlike with previous 'manual' updates, you don't need to reformat your SD card, re-enter your licence details or redo all your configuration, like we used to have to in the early days.

Best Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 04:43:41 pm by exfirepro »

Rogerthedodger

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 04:49:06 pm »
Exfirepro/Peter - Brilliant. Going to try this. In which case page 38/39 should say ...

"After 20 minutes, you need to power down your PAW and remove the Ethernet Cable, THEN refit the dongles and power it back up. Connect to the PilotAware WiFi from your tablet or whatever once it appears. Log in to PilotAware from your Browser using the URL (address) 192.168.1.1, which should take you to your PilotAware's Home Screen. Select the 'Updates' Tab along the top. You should now see a 'live' 'Install' button, with 'PilotAware Version 20180129' next to it. Click on this button and wait for the install to finish".

I think this needs to be made clear in the instruction manual as it is a whole lot of steps that are missing. "Select install" is completely inadequate.

Many Thanks, Roger.

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 05:57:56 pm »
Roger,

Did you just delete a post or am I losing my marbles.  ???

I started typing a reply to the post, having just read it, then went to check something and your post has disappeared. Does this mean you have now got it working - if so what did you do?

Regards

Peter

Rogerthedodger

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 06:43:11 pm »
Yes - posted that I still did not see the Install activated. Then finally it worked. Not sure I did anything different on the fourth time, but all installed and rebooted to check everything is OK. Thanks for your help. Now to go flying again.

AlanG

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 07:37:35 pm »
Roger,

Did you just delete a post or am I losing my marbles.  ???

What a tempting question to ask on this forum.  ;D ;D ;D