Author Topic: Error messages on startup  (Read 3694 times)

royt

Error messages on startup
« on: January 18, 2018, 10:22:32 pm »
I purchased a new SD card, formatted it with 'SD card Formatter and copied the files from the zip file PilotAware.20170721 onto the card. I loaded the SD card into my PAW, powered up but the installation stalls during the process of creating the new partition. The end error message is Error mounting system partition. I have tried the entire process several times with no success. Previous SD card was 8gb and worked fine. New SD card is 16gb.

exfirepro

Re: Error messages on startup
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 10:47:51 pm »
Roy,

Did you download and install a ‘Full Installation Image’ from www.pilotaware.lode.co.uk ? If you only added the 20170721 Update to a newly reformatted card it won’t work. If this is the case you need to start again with a new reformat.

Also, I take it you are aware it can easily take 30 minutes or more for PilotAware to repartition the card, load and run the software the first time after any new full install. Did you give it enough time? You also need to make sure the GPS has a good clear view of the sky.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 10:51:54 pm by exfirepro »

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 10:58:22 pm »
I had a card that this appeared to happen to. I bought it from China on e-bay as a 16GB card. It all formatted ok, but the PilotAware wouldn't repartition, etc. I had my suspicions. I downloaded an SD card checker and checked it. Turns out it was a 256MB card!  :o

Brand names only for me from now on!

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 10:59:34 pm »
And I don't think you need the GPS signal for the software installation.

royt

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 10:45:33 am »
Thanks,
Firstly I downloaded the full installation image. Did not give 30 mins for the re-partition so will give this a go. Secondly I have had the same experience with un-branded cards so this is a pukker Sandisk Ultra.

I had no problem with the previous Integral 8Gb card, but I broke it closing the lid on the PAW. Let you know after my Nth attempt

royt

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 01:41:25 pm »
SOLVED,

After trying many times I gave up and used the 16GB card out of my phone... worked first time. So swapping an expensive ultra fast Sandisk for a cheapo low speed SD did the trick :).

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 06:25:53 pm »
Well done Roy,

Just thinking, when you formatted your Sandisk did you do a 'Full overwrite with Size Adjustment 'ON' * as per the PilotAware Users Manual. If only a 'Quick Format' was done, that could cause problems. Just a thought. Glad you've got it fixed.

Best Regards

Peter

Edit: * I use SD Formatter V4.0 - but understand that newer versions may do this automatically.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 06:30:32 pm by exfirepro »