Author Topic: mode c/s  (Read 3564 times)

l19gus

mode c/s
« on: January 15, 2018, 02:34:58 pm »
Hi could someone please tell me if the mode c/s options in config only show up if you have the bridge connected? Thanks in advance

Admin

Re: mode c/s
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 08:17:34 pm »
Yes, and a pi2

stillstanding

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 05:02:46 pm »
But as I have been able to prove, it is possible to have a bridge card fitted and the C/S options are there, but no PAW signal is being transmitted due to the antenna mounting being broken!

Mike

Admin

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 08:10:00 pm »
Not sure I understand your second statement with reference to the OP’s question

The bridge contains a barometer, which is required for pressure altitude comparison
This is required for Mode C/S detection

Thx
Lee

stillstanding

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 05:44:22 pm »
Just the point that having C/S working doesn't mean the bridge card is 100%.

Not relevant to original poster, but maybe useful to others who think they've broken their bridge card and think the presence of C/S means its OK. It maybe/maybe not. Fooled me for a while until I found no-one could see me as there was no PAW output.

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 06:33:34 pm »
Stillstanding,

Just to clarify,

Mode C/S reception depends on the Bridge being present for the barometric cell (which is part of the Bridge), which ensures PAW can collate Barometric altitude between itself and the Mode C/S 'transmitting' aircraft (transponders transmit barometrically derived as opposed to GPS derived altitude). Without the barometric cell, there could be a considerable difference between the reported altitude of the other aircraft and its real altitude, which would obviously be a significant safety issue. `For this reason, PilotAware software is designed such that it won't detect Mode C/S without a Bridge being present.

In your case, as I understand it, the P3i antenna connector had got physically broken off the Bridge PCB, which would obviously stop PAW transmitting or receiving P3i signals, but as reception of ADSB and Mode C/S is completely independent, these would still work as normal.

Regards

Peter