Author Topic: Decreasing ADS-B traffic  (Read 12581 times)

stephenmelody

Decreasing ADS-B traffic
« on: October 03, 2015, 02:49:01 pm »
I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this...

When I first connect up to PilotAware, I get to see pretty much every plane over the country... as I leave it on for a while, planes start to disappear to the point where it might only show 1 or 2 aircraft.

Sometimes more will pop back up, but I usually have to reboot it to get it capture the full amount of planes.

Anyone else had this problem?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 02:50:37 pm by stephenmelody »

Admin

Re: Decreasing ADS-B traffic
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 02:51:33 pm »
That is strange, cannot say I have seen that. I do see the number of planes increase/decrease, over time, but you are saying you see the number go down and never come back up without a reboot ?

Thx
Lee

stephenmelody

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 02:58:53 pm »
It's very difficult to quantify, I'm talking about ADS-B traffic. They'll just disappear and reappear sporadically, but also a decreasing level of planes over all.

Maybe it's antenna position... I'm wondering if my full metal balcony wan helping it...

It's currently on a 3rd floor windowsill, outside.

trapdoor

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 03:00:14 pm »
Yes, I have actually noticed this. It's very odd. I did initially wonder if the data was somehow buffered somewhere (in the DVB-T dongle??) whilst the RPi boots up, but that seems unlikely. I couldn't actually work out where it was getting the data from or why the targets disappeared or if they were 'duplicated' targets.

stephenmelody

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 03:10:30 pm »
This is what I mean

and....

Admin

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 03:12:21 pm »
I dont know if this is related, but yesterday, I noticed that the bit of code which sent messages to the NAV device 'stuttered' during periodic sends, in other words you would see the transfers go :-
tick, tick, tick, tick,........tick, tick, tick, tick
I traced this down to an issue with threading mutexes (that may not mean anything), but with some clever recoding this no longer happens.
This change is not currently released, so I would be interested to see if this makes a difference

Thx
Lee

Admin

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 03:14:10 pm »
Hi Stephen

Are you referring to when you immediately connect to SD, there is a lot of traffic, and then a few seconds later - it all disappears ?

What period of time are we talking here seconds or minutes ?

Thx
Lee

stephenmelody

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 03:15:56 pm »
I don't experience the whole of the other traffic disappearing, then re-appearing, it's more like it's getting full with data and then only displays some of the planes.

Almost like its running out of capacity and then can just displays what it can when it's got some free capacity to do so.

If you look at the screen shots, the first one was before I rebooted, the second one after...

I'm watching it now, it's been on 10 minutes and number of planes seems to be starting to decrease.

Admin

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 03:40:07 pm »
A little trick for you :-)

connect your PilotAware to your wired network using an RJ45 connector, then in a web browser connected to the same network type the following address
http://192.168.0.100:8080

This should give the data captured by the DVB-T dongle, it should hopefully agree with the NAV tool, on caveat is that the web view retains the A/C for 60 seconds after the last ping, whereas I only retain the data for 15 seconds, before I decide it is lost, and stop sending to the NAV tool

Thx
Lee

stephenmelody

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 03:47:35 pm »
Have you manually set the IP on the ethernet port? I can't connect to it on my LAN and my subnet is 192.168.1.xxx

Admin

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 03:53:33 pm »
Have you manually set the IP on the ethernet port? I can't connect to it on my LAN and my subnet is 192.168.1.xxx

Yes this IP is static at 192.168.0.100, but this should be fine even if your subnet is 192.168.1.xxx
I may be wrong though, it could depend on what the subnet mask is set to, I think if your subnet mask is
then local routing is only from 192.168.0.0 -> 192.168.0.255

it the subnet mask is
then local routing is only from 192.168.0.0 -> 192.168.255.255

this is abit off topic for PAW I think  :o
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 04:03:23 pm by Admin »

stephenmelody

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 09:05:49 pm »
I'll keep an eye on it and report back if it continues.

the_top_pilot

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 09:23:48 am »
I have had my unit soak testing for 48hrs +.
As a check I run it parallel with my AirNav Radar Box and flight radar 24.
My Pilot aware has not missed a beat.

Steve

N6010Y

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 03:58:33 pm »
To date I've not seen this - but today I experienced this issue a couple of time only - not constantly!

Initially PAW sees a whole load of traffic, then some disappear then come back, some disappear altogether (at various altitudes and distances).

This happens over a period of 5-10 minutes.

All come back again after a re-boot.

r_w_walker

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 11:47:17 am »
Was this issue resolved?
My unit was displaying traffic Intermittently, Not working at all today after I tried it on a flight yesterday.
It did not show anything during flight either?
Antenna continuity O.k. PilotAware reports sending messages O.K.
Upgrading software in phone now.
South Moor Farm
Guest accommodation and airstrip.
www.southmoorfarm.co.uk. hi@southmoorfarm.co.uk
01751 460285