Author Topic: New PAW Classic. No wifi  (Read 7950 times)

jbone

New PAW Classic. No wifi
« on: December 16, 2017, 04:38:34 pm »
Dear Pilot Aware,    my PAW classic arrived today.   Order number 1819.  Powered up for more than 30 mins using an original Apple ipad charger (tried 2 now),  SD card properly installed.  One solid red LED plus alternating green and red LEDs observed.   No wifi detected using either my ipad, iphone or laptop. connected HDMI monitor, messages include “failed to start dnsmasql” and “cannot find device wlan0” and “error for wireless request  set TX power (8B26).  Screen shot available. .   Please advise.

Admin

Re: New PAW Classic. No wifi
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 06:06:03 pm »
Might sound a stupid question, but I presume the wifi dongle is connected?

Thx
Lee

jbone

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 06:23:05 pm »
Yes and yes.

PaulSS

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 11:51:08 pm »
How to win friends and influence people  ::)  Given some of the blatantly obvious things some people do and don't do, Lee's question was far from stupid and was merely giving you the opportunity to check something that others have not done in the past. Perhaps one 'yes' would encourage the help you seek.

jbone

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 08:19:46 am »
I have read that book,  by Dale Carnegie.   Clearly my attempt at humour didn’t work.   Perhaps it might be best not read too much into things in future?  You know what they say about emails & I’m sure the same is true here?  Do the admin people on this forum work for PAW?  John

PaulSS

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 09:27:38 am »
I'm 99% sure Lee is Mr PAW  :)

Deker

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 09:43:33 am »
using an original Apple ipad charger (tried 2 now)

Using those type of powers supplies is not recommended, especially if  using the apple lead. You require a good PSU with 2A output.
It would be worth trying an Anker type battery with the PAW supplied lead as per page 7 of the manual :-
http://www.pilotaware.com/wp-content/uploads/Latest-Operating-Instructions-.pdf
ATB
Deker.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 09:48:12 am by Deker »

jbone

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 10:31:03 am »
Hi,  yes, thanks.    I’ve just done that (Anker supply, promising 2.4A, plugged into the car) but it’s just the same, even after 15 minutes.  Checked everything multiple times.  Red, green alternating LEDs are flashing. There is some v slight warmth to the WiFi dongle some it’s getting some power.  GPS dongle is flashing green,  so I presume it’s happy.  Adaptor for the skinny aerial is warm,  so that’s powered up too. 

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 11:13:54 am »
Where abouts are you? One of us could lend you our Wifi dongles to try swapping them.

jbone

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 11:23:25 am »
Paul,  that’s very kind of you to offer.  I’m on Teesside.  I’m presuming PAW will respond with a solution tomorrow, so unless by any long shot you are close,  let’s see what they say.  thanks, John

EricC

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 04:25:58 pm »
Out of interest I removed and refitted the wifi dongle with the Paw live.
The wifi dongle does not work.
After disconnecting and connecting the power all working fine.

The same applies to the adsb dongle.

Maybe worth trying.

jbone

Re: New PAW Classic. No wi
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 07:14:38 pm »
Eric,  thanks,  I’ve just tried that, but it still doesn’t work.  I must say, i was a bit relieved,  I dont fancy adding that to my prefilight checks.   I assume one of the bits of kit is a duffer so I’ll contact.  PAW in the morning.   Regards, John

Ian Melville

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 07:30:43 pm »
Hi John, I'm not one of the core team but I think it may be a good idea to email Dave Styles at PilotAwareHardware@gmail.com. He is the person who ships the parts out.

Since the units are tested before shipping, I am a little surprised you have got this issue.

If there is any further delay, I have a WiFi Dongle that Lee lent to me for testing. I can check it's working and post to you if you wish. Just PM me your address.

Cheers
Ian
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 07:51:52 pm by Admin »

jbone

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 10:31:00 pm »
Ian,  thanks.  I’m sure they will sort me out.   I’ll pm you if I need to take up your king offer,   John

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 02:37:19 am »
Sorry, I'm in Surrey, and heading off to Wales shortly so unable to assist locally personally!