Author Topic: Audio output connections  (Read 4654 times)

jrpike

Audio output connections
« on: November 10, 2017, 11:14:04 pm »
I know this subject has been touched on in some old threads but...

I have connected my PAW audio output following the advice in the various posts on the subject here but I am still not getting any audio in my headset. I am connecting directly to the auxiliary audio input on my Trig TY96 radio.

I am using a TRS plug in the PAW TRRS socket. I have wired T and R (L and R signals) together to pin 14 (auxiliary audio input) on my Trig and S to my avionics ground. Trig assure me this should work but I am getting nothing.

I know the PAW is actually outputting the audio correctly because if I simply connect the PAW to the music input socket of my intercom using a cable with a 3.5mm plug on each end and use the test facility on the config page, I hear the test message. However I don’t want to use this socket and I don’t want trailing wires all over the cockpit so I really do want to connect directly into the radio if possible.

Is there some incompatibility in signal strength or whatever between the PAW output and the input that the Trig needs to receive via its auxiliary input perhaps? Or have I made some other error?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Richard.

Ian Melville

Re: Audio output connections
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 06:40:27 am »
I notice that you are using a different cable for testing on the intercom (3.5mm to 3.5mm). Have you confirmed that you are getting audio at the end of the TRRS cable? I would check that first by tapping the wires onto a pair of earphones.

Have you set the Aux input volume in the 2nd level of the Trig menu? Section 6.2.6 of the manual. Even with the PAW at 10, I suspect you will have to crank it up a bit. If that fails try using the  music input on pin 15, for which you will also need to adjust the volume.

Note: I Have made the assumption that you can hear other stuff on the headset jacks?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 06:48:09 am by Ian Melville »

AlanG

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 10:46:29 am »
Hi Richard

I have the same setup as you in our syndicate flexwing.  We used to have the Flycom intercom wired into the Trig but after recent rewire we now use the inbuilt intercom of the Trig ty91.  this was all done by Trig engineers who installed a metal box with all the required inputs to take the still used Flycom helmets plus an Aux input.  I wired direct to the Aux from the PAW as you have done but found that even with the PAW Audio volume set at 10 and the Trig Aux volume turned up full it was only just loud enough with the engine off.  With the engine running it produced an alternator whine with increased throttle.  This whine decreased dramatically by slightly reducing the Trig Aux volume from maximum but left the PAW audio very quiet.  I have now introduce a Just Mixer into the system,
https://www.amazon.co.uk/JUST-MIXER-Audio-DJ-Mixer/dp/B01LPT8JY8/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_267_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WX6YG0HNB38AYMCMP0HF
and this has cured the problem and also allows me to have the audio warnings from my EasyVFR nav system too.

Hope this helps
Alan

jrpike

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 09:15:31 am »
Many thanks for your replies. Somehow I hadn't spotted the second level menu on the Trig and the Aux level was at zero. Hazards of an online rather than a printed manual I suppose! Test signal is coming through fine now but I've yet to check whether it's loud enough in flight so that mixer may yet come in handy.

Richard.

waltaero

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 09:49:09 pm »
I thought I would do the same as Richard for my set up with Dittel KTR and Flycom box, but no luck so far. I have taken  one of the audio outputs to pin 5 (EXT) and S to radio ground. Just get noise with any EXT setting above 0. I don't have an audio in socket on the Flycom but could put one in if I knew where the audio connection should go. Meantime I have ordered a TRRS jack. Maybe someone else has the same set up.
John

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 11:05:51 pm »
John,

There are a couple of threads specifically about Dittel radios. This one in particular is worth reading..

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,641.msg7854.html#msg7854

Worth going to the Forum Home Screen then type Dittel in the search box at top right.

Regards

Peter