Author Topic: Updating issues  (Read 3498 times)

fuzzflyer

Updating issues
« on: September 25, 2017, 03:49:19 pm »
Hi  I'm sorry to say I'm going from bad to worse with my PA and need help .  I just spent an hour with four other users  and  lm left totally confused,  I have bought high quality cables  and a new 2500 power bank,  after trying my 2000 unit.  Also bought a  usb card reader and a 32 gig micro usb card..

This is after trying my 2 usb connections and my 2 x2 amp and 2.5 amp car connectors in the plane..yesterday  it connected for a few minutes  then the black square vanished from the bottom right, I assume this means it has lost it connection,  ?  I have still to see a GA aircraft  although I have seen airliners.

People logged into my unit and they showed airliners.  So it does work  but keeps disconnecting.

I want to update  ,  and downloaded the update  but now can't find it,?     While doing all this someone "me"clicked the micro SD and it flicked out and vanished..  I'm pulling my hair out!  Q, can I download the update to my new micro SD and insert that into the PA.  Or what can I do?    Can I speak to someone?  Tried to use contact us  but the robot click the signs etc thingy beat me!

Admin

Re: Updating issues
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 04:06:15 pm »
Hi Fuzzflyer

I think we need to understand some terminology from your post.

When you say this
People logged into my unit and they showed airliners.  So it does work  but keeps disconnecting.

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by a disconnect ?
Do you get a popup error message (I am presuming SkyDemon), if so what does it say ?

What is the symptom, I am confused because earlier in your post you say
then the black square vanished from the bottom right, I assume this means it has lost it connection,  ?

I am not sure what this means, but I am somehow guessing it is related to SkyDemon RADAR view ?

Thx
Lee

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 05:17:15 pm by Admin »

Gerry0_0

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 03:31:38 pm »
Hi I am having the same sort of trouble with my pilot aware as Dave earlier.  I am trying to follow the instructions given to download onto USB, but the pilot aware lode page cannot be found by my browser. So I went onto pilotaware.com and searched for updates and it says there that the downloads can be found on that (pilotaware.com) site, but for the life of me I cannot find where.  I have a usb stick ready to go, but can't locate the download file. 

I find the PA device very unfriendly, and have almost given up on it.  I chatted at the rally at Sywell and was encouraged to try again, but no joy.  I am not a computer expert and this is just proving too difficult.

Gerry0_0

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 03:33:34 pm »
Sorry should have noticed that Dave was on the other updating thread!!

GEAR

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 04:26:23 pm »
The PilotAware  update files can be found here:

http://pilotaware.lode.co.uk/

Good luck

Admin

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 04:46:07 pm »
Hi Gerry

these could be documentation errors, so can you please provide the references.

... I am trying to follow the instructions given to download onto USB, but the pilot aware lode page cannot be found by my browser.
Can you please post the exact link you are referring to, and where it is defined ?

So I went onto pilotaware.com and searched for updates and it says there that the downloads can be found on that (pilotaware.com) site
Again can you please provide the reference ?
Throughout the document I see references to
http://pilotaware.lode.co.uk

So if you found an instruction pointing to another location, please tell us where the error in the documentation is, and we will fix it.

**edit update**
I think I see the issue you are having, if you click on the hyperlink in the document it does not take you to where it should - the text is correct, but the hyperlink has an error

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 04:51:08 pm by Admin »

Gerry0_0

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 05:58:39 pm »
Hi Thanks.   I did get to lode page, I am glad you found the faulty link as I was thinking it was me.

I found the reference to Pilotaware.com here:http://www.pilotaware.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/160901-Software-Upgrade-via-memory-stick-1.pdf

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 07:02:43 pm »
Hi  I'm sorry to say I'm going from bad to worse with my PA and need help .  I just spent an hour with four other users  and  lm left totally confused,  I have bought high quality cables  and a new 2500 power bank,  after trying my 2000 unit.  Also bought a  usb card reader and a 32 gig micro usb card..

This is after trying my 2 usb connections and my 2 x2 amp and 2.5 amp car connectors in the plane..yesterday  it connected for a few minutes  then the black square vanished from the bottom right, I assume this means it has lost it connection,  ?  I have still to see a GA aircraft  although I have seen airliners.

I want to update  ,  and downloaded the update  but now can't find it,?     While doing all this someone "me"clicked the micro SD and it flicked out and vanished..  I'm pulling my hair out!  Q, can I download the update to my new micro SD and insert that into the PA.  Or what can I do?    Can I speak to someone?  Tried to use contact us  but the robot click the signs etc thingy beat me!

Hi fuzzflyer,

Looks like you are in a right muddle. I take it you haven't managed to find your microSD card yet?

You 'can' write a new card, but not using the PAW 'update' file. Unfortunately, it's a bit more complicated than that. You first need to 'format' the new card using a piece of software called SD Formatter, then download a full image file from www.pilotaware.lode.co.uk, unpack it and copy it onto your newly formatted card. Not the easiest task unless you are fairly competent with your computer.

Instructions on how to do this can be found on Page 44 of the PilotAware Operating Instructions, available here...

http://www.pilotaware.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/170721-Operating-Instructions-.pdf

OK, next bit - a suitably appropriate power supply is essential to ensure that PilotAware will run consistently. The supply must be able to supply a minimum of 2 amps consistently, without the voltage dropping below 5 volts. The terms '2500 power bank' and '2000 unit' without a link to your supplier or at least the brand name and model number are pretty much meaningless. If you can post this information we can check this for you.

You also say you... 'have bought high quality cables'. The power cable supplied with PilotAware is specifically chosen and supplied because it is the right quality to prevent voltage drop problems on the power supply. Replacing it with a potentially lower quality cable will almost certainly cause power issues, so we need to confirm the quality of both these elements. The same applies to 12 volt to 5 volt car adaptors. Many can't maintain a solid 5 volts as the current draw approaches 2 amps - in fact many fall short well below this current level. If using this type of adaptor, PilotAware recommends those made by 'Anker', e.g their PowerDrive 2 model (available from Amazon and other sources).

You need to address these issues first and get the unit running reliably, then we can work out what else is going on from there.

Regards

Peter

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 12:30:53 am »
The other thing, if others managed to remain connected, but your tablet kept disconnecting, I would suspect that your tablet is searching for other Wifi hotspots in order to get an internet connection.

What tablet are you using? What tablets are the others using? What version of the operating system?

What software are you using? What software are the others using?

EricC

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 01:54:35 pm »
Base station is received on old Samsung GT 5110
Andriod 4.2.2
Kernal 3.0.31 273611    2014.

Three other computers connected to internet wifi router.

Base station on every day 8.00 to 22.00 ish, connected
 to PAW, never had a disconnect between
PAW and tablet.

The PAW is about two feet from the wifi router.
and about fourteen feet from the tablet.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 09:20:27 am by EricC »