Author Topic: More audio pondering  (Read 2937 times)

PaulSS

More audio pondering
« on: September 18, 2017, 04:21:36 am »
There are quite a few methods of getting PAW to our headsets and I am considering both a Bluetooth option (using a Bluetooth transmitter plugged into the 3.5mm jack) or running 3.5mm extension wires to the aux inputs of  Bose headsets. However, what happens one day when Bose rid themselves of the aux input (as David Clark have done) and only Bluetooth is available. As the Trig radios have just one aux input then we start getting into the realms of mixers if you want to wire in more that one input (in my case I want EFIS warnings to the aux radio input).

My musings caused me to consider wiring the output of the 3.5mm jack into the 'phone' wire to the headset and I'd really like to know if this is do-able or not. People start talking about impedance and such with audio and, about this, I have not the first clue but I'm sure there's someone out there who does  :)

So, put simply, could I have a wire from the PAW 3.5mm jack plug (where I chop the female plug off the end) and then solder that wire to the phone output on the back of my radio, that's obviously taking radio/intercom comms TO my ears? It's all mono, so I'm not considering the stereo case where I'd obviously have to deal with two wires.

Ian Melville

Re: More audio pondering
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 06:49:06 am »
I think you are over thinking that one.

EFIS into the Aux input of the Trig
PAW 3.5mm connect BlueTooth transmitter, pair with choice of BT headset.

Note: early Bose A20 only worked with BT phone. Button on the control box is a handset. Later models of A20 have full BT and a BT symbol on the same button.
I have set up both to use a BT connection from a PAW, the old model requiring a BT receiver into the Aux input if the headset.

PaulSS

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 10:40:56 am »
Hi Ian,

Yep, that was my original thinking and I have the Bluetooth transmitter all ready to go (just need an aircraft to put all my gear in now). However, I will be mounting my PAW behind the panel and my only concern revolves around that BT Tx. I'll have a Charge4 USB charger behind the panel that will power my PAW, IPad Mini and BT Tx. However, I don't know if the transmitter turns itself off if it's not being used and, if not, that means each time I climb in the aircraft the BT Tx will be dead and, almost certainly, need the power button pushing once the electrons start flowing through the aircraft (even worse, it could possibly need re-pairing each time.....I don't know.....but that would be even more of a pain). Not impossible to deal with (especially if I utilise the glove box for the transmitter) but as I'm starting from scratch I'd rather design a solution that doesn't require 'work-arounds' from day one.

If it's not possible to wire directly from the 3.5mm jack to the headphone line then I'll run a couple of wires from a splitter at the 3.5mm jack and install a couple of female plugs for a short 3.5mm lead to go into the Bose boxes that will be up by our outboard shoulders. If I can wire it to the radio output then I only have to run a wire from the PAW to the radio and won't have extra jack plugs in my machine.

Thanks for your thoughts, which I'm glad were not at odds with mine......must mean I'm learning something  :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 10:42:59 am by PaulSS »

Ian Melville

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 11:33:08 am »
I've never had to do any re-pairing.

I do understand what you mean regarding powering up the BT, something I was looking at for my all-in-one box. Had to put it to one side for now as I am v busy with other 'stuff'

Keithvinning

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 10:29:40 pm »
I would stick with the normal Bose inputs as I guess that these will attenuate the PAW and EFIS messages when a atc transmission is in place.

PaulSS

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 11:44:21 pm »
That's a very good point, Keith and one that I hadn't considered. Looks like I might well be running extension cables to a 3.5mm female plug next to each headset LEMO plug. Oh well, at least the wiring into the headset circuit was looked at  :o