Author Topic: Booting from a power pack  (Read 4972 times)

pml

Booting from a power pack
« on: September 11, 2017, 03:48:05 pm »
Hi All -
I have read the stuff about having the correct cable etc and I did have some issues in the past with not having a "powerfull enough power supply" BUT I have recently bought a powerpack which is pretty umphy and also 3amp capable.. BUT when I try to boot from it the Raspberry wont even light up the leds - Now this same powerpack will works find for all other stuff - ALSO if I use the same cable from a mains power supply - which incidentally only cable of 2 amps -  the PA boots fine -- Its this a AC/DC thing is it? I wonder if there is a thread on this somewhere.

Regards and hoping !!
Phil

Ian Melville

Re: Booting from a power pack
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 04:27:45 pm »
Hi Phil, you have posted in the OGN forum, therefore I am surprised that you are using a power pack for a ground based system that needs to run many hours non-stop. A mains PSU would be better.

The issue you are having is possibly because the power pack is too smart. Those designed to top up phones use smart electronics and multiple wire feeds, where case the Pi requires 2.1A on a single wire. I am sure that someone will have a recommendation that works.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 05:44:26 pm by Ian Melville »

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 11:20:50 pm »
Phil,

As Ian has said, some of the modern 'smart-charger' packs can't 'see' the Raspberry Pi properly so don't supply sufficient current at boot up, even though they may be rated at a maximum of more than 2 amps. Can you post a link to the power pack you are using, or give us the name and model so we can check the spec.

Regards

Peter

If you are running a standard PilotAware, rather than an OGN Relay station, Lee will perhaps move this thread over to the Tech Support Forum for us, to avoid confusion.

pml

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 03:15:59 pm »
Hi all -
Yes you are correct its in the wrong forum -- I was reading them all and didn't change back to the other forum before posting.

Could you move it across or should I re-post ?

The pack I bought is "Power Bank" ECtechology - Its not a waste because I use it all the time for other equipment BUT IF.. there is another that anyone could recommend then great. Phil

AlanG

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 04:21:59 pm »
pml

I have two of these EC Technology Power Banks:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/EC-Technology-22400mAh-Capacity-Flashlight/dp/B00F5Q4F0U
Max rated to 2.4 Amp which used to power PAW and my tablet all day.  I've have now installed the Anker Powerdrive 5 port USB adapter which plugs straight into the Aux 12v and use this to power My PAW, tablet & a mixer to get the audio into the headset from both PAW and EasyVFR.
Not knowing the exact model of EC Tech you have the guys could well be right that it is one of the "smart" variety and is therefore not recognising the RPi.

Regards
Alan
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 04:35:40 pm by AlanG »

pml

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 04:32:48 pm »
Hi Alan
I'm going away to look a the alternative (DUMB :) devices) .. I'll look into the ones you have posted ..getback to you soon thanks .
Phil

AlanG

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 04:50:58 pm »
pml

Sorry. The one I linked to seems to be one of the "smart" type.  I was fooled by the image and the same size of pack that I have.  Mine are the 2nd Generation version 22400 with a single input for charging and no auto sensing for the connected device.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/EC-Technology-22400mAh-Capacity-Flashlight/dp/B072N273CY

It seems that great care is required to ensure you get the right one as even changing the colour to the red/black pack changes the product description on this page to the smart type.  :-[
Cheers
Alan
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 05:02:32 pm by AlanG »

Admin

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 04:51:59 pm »
Hi Phil

We recommend the Anker products, they are consistently good.

Anker 10000 (about 5 hours of use)
Anker 20100 (about 15 hours of use)

or an AUX version

The 'smart sensors', or 'soft start' are great for charging, but not convenient as a battery power source I'm afraid

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 05:30:47 pm »
Phil,

I use all of these regularly for testing, (the same as Lee has recommended) and they all are good. Choice depends on space and required duration.

Anker 10000... https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019GJLER8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anker 13000... https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00Z9UY65G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anker 20100... https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00VJSGT2A/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 10000 fits neatly under the PAW as it is almost the same size and can be connected by a very short cable such as... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Short-15cm-90-Degree-Right-Angle-Point-Left-Micro-B-USB-Data-Charge-Cable-/221712730771?epid=1888595367&hash=item339f1bca93:g:G9QAAOSwBLlVABql

WARNING For longer length power cables, DO NOT use cheap cables - but this one is OK for close connection, with a couple of cable ties to hold the two units together.

I can also recommend the Anker PowerDrive 5 that AlanG uses, which can be wired into the plane's 12 volt supply by removing the plug and connecting via a suitable fuse or circuit breaker.

Regards

Peter
p.s. You have probably realised that Lee has now moved this thread across to Technical Support where it belongs.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 05:35:43 pm by exfirepro »

pml

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 08:41:53 pm »
Phew !!!! just go to me in time before I raided Amazon :)

Brilliant All of you, thanks..
I'm digesting it all

Thanks again
Phil