Author Topic: Alternativre Audio output  (Read 3137 times)

agbourne

Alternativre Audio output
« on: August 26, 2017, 05:47:28 pm »

I currently have my PAW connected to the audio input of the intercom system of the aircraft. But the volume is far too low to hear it correctly above the noise of the aircraft.

I did some research and found a Digital Analogue Converter (DAC) and integrated amplifier that connects to (and is powered by) the USB port. The output is the standard 3.5mm socket which can then plug into the intercom.

Details found here: http://www.fiio.net/en/products/48

However, when I connect the device to the RPi, it recognises the device as seen in the PAW homepage but it doesn't direct the output to this device. Audio is still sent to the 3.5mm port.

If I had access to the RPi I could change the default output, but I fully understand the reasons why it is locked.

So could I ask for a feature request where not only the audio volume can be changed, but also the ability to select the default audio output?

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

Andrew

Ian Melville

Re: Alternativre Audio output
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 06:14:48 pm »
The audio volume can be changed, or do you mean that even on 10 it is not high enough?

You can add an amplifier, but I have not found this nessesary for my intercom, I actually had to turn it down quite a bit. Have you checked the input level setting on the intercom?

If Lee goes down the USB output route he would have to add the relevant drivers for all possible devices. I don't have a spare USB port anyway, and shortage of USB ports is a common issue.

agbourne

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 08:41:39 pm »

Hi Ian,

I know the volume can be changed. 10 is not high enough for my situation. The flightcom intercom 'music input' to which I connect the PAW cannot be changed (as far as I know). I have checked the manual.

The USB device has an amplifier included, so it's output level will be much higher and therefore should give a much better volume into the system. A standard audio amplifier can be used but you need an additional power source for this.

Most of the devices have drivers already included.  From the attached image, you can see that the RPi recognises the USB device). And reading other forums about it, additional drivers are not needed. You just plug it in and it works.

So I was hoping that an option to list all available audio outputs might be a (fairly) easy thing to implement?

Ian Melville

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 12:19:10 am »
That would be up to Lee to decide if he wants to implement that change. Not sure that I like the idea of putting more power drain through the Pi. This is one of the big issues for the PAW, causing numerous issues.

agbourne

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 03:40:08 pm »

Thanks Ian.

Is there a formal process to ask for this feature? (Sorry - new to all this)

Tks

Andrew

Moffrestorer

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 06:08:30 pm »
See the sticky "Enhancement Requests"under General Discussion

agbourne

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 01:40:54 pm »
Thanks - I'll write a request there