Author Topic: Changing Wifi IP Address  (Read 3488 times)

highfive

Changing Wifi IP Address
« on: August 25, 2017, 12:48:11 pm »
I would like to use my PAW Classic to monitor traffic when I am working at home. This is easy enough with a USB wifi dongle so I can connect my PC to both my home network (wired) and to the PAW one (wifi).

The problem is that my home network also has the 192.168.1.x subnet and I am loathed to change all the devices to a different subnet. Is there any way to set a different IP address for the PAW wifi connection?

Alternatively (and also of general interest) is the 2000 port still available on the wired connection? Also, can web pages be served over the wired connection?

Thanks  :)

Admin

Re: Changing Wifi IP Address
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 01:23:47 pm »
I would like to use my PAW Classic to monitor traffic when I am working at home. This is easy enough with a USB wifi dongle so I can connect my PC to both my home network (wired) and to the PAW one (wifi).

The problem is that my home network also has the 192.168.1.x subnet and I am loathed to change all the devices to a different subnet. Is there any way to set a different IP address for the PAW wifi connection?

Alternatively (and also of general interest) is the 2000 port still available on the wired connection? Also, can web pages be served over the wired connection?

Thanks  :)

Changing the WiFi Router address would involve a lot of work for no gain I'm afraid.
All Navigation Clients (SkyDemon, EasyVFR etc) all expect to connect to 192.168.1.1:2000

As an alternative (as requested) use the wired interface.
Depending upon your router, you should then be able to access port 2000 from the DHCP assigned by your router, or
raspberrypi.local:2000

Thx
Lee

highfive

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 02:47:19 pm »
Thanks Lee for the fast response.

Sorry, I should have been clearer - I was wondering if there is a setting somewhere that I could change on my unit (temporarily), but I think I now understand that both the PAW server and all clients are hard coded to 192.168.1.1.

I had previously tried the wired port with no success. Of course I now realise :-[ this is because of the subnet clash between the wired and wireless LANs on PAW. Unplugging the wifi adaptor and rebooting gives responses on the DHCP address both NMEA on port 2000 and HTML on port 80 - happy days!

Thanks again, Mike.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 03:18:40 pm by highfive »

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 03:26:23 pm »
I take it from what you say that your router is on 192.168.1.1?

Mine is on 192.168.1.254 which means I can leave the Wifi dongle plugged in when connecting the PAW on a wired ethernet, and then I get both the DHCP assigned wired address *and* 192.168.1.1 present on the home LAN. If I have Sky Demon on a tablet connected to the home LAN (on Wifi) I can then use the program as designed and it accesses the PAW on 192.168.1.1.

Obviously if your router is on 192.168.1.1 you won't be able to do that.

Need to watch with security though if the PAW is connected to the home LAN and advertising an unsecure Wifi hotspot!

highfive

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 05:44:49 pm »
Thanks Paul, actually I was just reading your earlier post where you said you can connect by setting the wired connection to 192.168.1.1.

I have a lowish-cost 'lightly-managed' switch on that address at the moment. I could probably move it if need be, but for now PAW is working well just by the cable connection. Also, it avoids the security risk you mentioned.

All I need to do is remember to plug the wifi back in before going flying ;)

Off topic slightly, but is GDL90 also available over the wired connection? I searched for some documentation on that, but didn't find it yet.

Admin

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 06:15:00 pm »
Off topic slightly, but is GDL90 also available over the wired connection? I searched for some documentation on that, but didn't find it yet.

What would you like to connect GDL90 to ?
thx
Lee

highfive

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 08:24:58 pm »
Just to a ground-based PC, I'll send you a PM with the details.