Author Topic: Stopped working  (Read 4815 times)

Brod

Stopped working
« on: August 16, 2017, 12:00:38 pm »
Hi all,
Plugged into power supply which is 5.1v 2.1a, worked to register then I turned off and it  wouldn't work again for hours then came to life
again, paired with my ipad, switched off and it wont work again. I have left it for hours now but get nothing when power is added.

exfirepro

Re: Stopped working
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 02:10:37 pm »
Brod,

First thing to check is that your micro SD card is mounted in its slot correctly. Press slightly and it will pop out a bit. Press it back in carefully until it clicks home. Next, if you look in through the little ventilation holes at the lower left hand side of the board next to the card slot and connect the power, you should see two LEDs - one red and one green (ignore any others for the moment). Are these LEDs appearing? If so, what are they doing e.g. on steady or flashing?

Regards

Peter

Brod

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 03:07:17 pm »
Hi Peter,
Tried the sd card but still the same, no lights on at all.

Brod

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 03:52:01 pm »
Brod,

What power supply are you using? Power supply reliability is critical to getting PilotAware to start and run properly. Even using a lower quality power lead can result in it not working (which is why PilotAware supply the power cable).  We have also had examples of so called 'intelligent' power packs rated at 2+ amps which won't actually supply enough power to start PilotAware.

Can you describe the actual supply you are using, or better still - post a link to where you got it from so I can check it.

The reason I asked about the LEDs is that you should get a solid permanent red to indicate a reliable power supply, then a flashing green as PilotAware loads and reads or writes to the memory card.

No Red means a power supply fault.

Regards

Peter

AlanG

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 03:59:32 pm »
Hi Brod

Have you checked the absolute basic that the power cable or the power supply have not failed?
Try another power lead (even if it is not heavy duty enough to power all the  functions it should at least put the lights on,) or try the power supply with some other appliance to see if it charges.
I had a similar experience with a supposed 2.1 amp charger that would charge a phone but when tried on an Ipad it failed miserably.

Edit:  I see peter has posted again as I've been typing but my point is still valid.

Regards
Alan

Brod

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 04:47:17 pm »
Hi all

Power lead is one supplied, and I am getting 5+v at one side of polyfuse but less than .2v at the other side.
The power supply I have been using is an apple ipad one rated @ 5.1v 2.1a.

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 04:56:49 pm »
Brod,

iPad supply should be sufficient. From the voltage readings you've given it sounds like a fault on the board, but not sure what. I take it you have removed the Bridge board to take the test readings, which would eliminate the Bridge board from the equation. Try removing all dongles and see if you still get the same readings.

Peter

Brod

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 05:19:06 pm »
Ok removed bridge and dongles, 5.145v at polyfuse and 0.185
The other side. Still no lights.

exfirepro

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 06:13:53 pm »
OK Brod,

Looks like you have a fault on the raspberry Pi which is stopping the polyfuse resetting. The only other thing you could do is remove the memory card to eliminate the possibility that it has gone faulty and retest the polyfuse. I take it this was a Classic Kit bought from PilotAware Hardware. If so, you need to get back in touch with them via the contact form on their webpage to arrange replacement.

http://pilotawarehardware.com/contact-us/

Mention this thread conversation in the contact form.

Regards

Peter

Brod

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 07:41:31 pm »
Thanks Peter contact made.

quilpie

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 09:34:07 am »
My Pilot aware has stopped working also. I get a constant red light that comes on as soon as I plug in the power cable. What does this mean?

The pilot aware was working intermittently for a while and then I tried to install the latest update by plugging it into the ethernet cable, connecting to my ipad then installing. It seemed to be doing its thing for a while so i left it for an hour or so but then i got 4 blinking red lights. I unplugged the power cable then plugged it in again and now I get the solid red light.

The only way I know how to check the operation is to connect via wifi to my ipad or iphone. I have tried two different wifi dongles with no luck. The PA wifi option is not showing up on my devices. I have also tried a number of cables and different power sources including a mains 2.1amp ipad charger.

exfirepro

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 01:29:58 pm »
quilpie,

A solid red light at the bottom left looking at the P3i antenna end is GOOD! This means you have a good power supply.

Did you remove the WiFi dongle before attempting the Ethernet update? In some cases failing to do so can prevent PAW establishing a link to the download server. You should power down PAW, remove he WiFi dongle and connect the Ethernet cable to your router then power PAW back up. After leaving your PAW connected for about 20 minutes (without the WiFi dongle), you need to power down PAW, remove the Ethernet cable and reinsert the WiFi dongle, then power PAW back up, reconnect to the Home Screen via PAW Wifi, then go to the Updates Tab. If the update has downloaded correctly you will see a live 'Install' button. Press this to install the update.

Unfortunately, though much simpler than a full manual software update, the ethernet update method can still be a bit of a pain, which is why Lee added 'Update by USB stick' to newer versions.

I'm guessing something has gone wrong along the line with your Ethernet update attempt. Probably worth giving it another try. If it doesn't work, get back to me.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 12:38:34 pm by exfirepro »

quilpie

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 11:03:23 am »
exfire, thanks for the trouble shooting tips. I did exactly what you said and it seems to be all singing and dancing again. I'm very happy. I went up in the bird a few times without my PA and I felt naked. So happy to have it back

exfirepro

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 12:37:49 pm »
quilpie, that's great, good to hear!

Now you have both options - i.e. via Ethernet or by USB stick available for future updates.

Glad to have been able to help.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 12:39:43 pm by exfirepro »