Author Topic: New Stations Added  (Read 96349 times)

exfirepro

Re: New Stations Added
« Reply #210 on: July 20, 2020, 11:04:50 pm »
Hi Frank,

Thanks for the update. That is an old link - we will need to get it updated and yes, though I’m not a Linux expert, I have learned that syntax is everything, which is why Lee has simplified the setup procedure to minimise potential problems.

Oh, and just to prove the point about syntax, thanks for pointing out my error using all lower case in the spelling of PilotAware in the ./PilotAware-OGN.config.sh command line - I have corrected my earlier post to avoid confusing anyone else.

You should be able to bring up your status screen from...

ognpaw.local (without the http://), though confusingly that doesn't always work. The alternative is to find the local IP allocated to the Raspberry Pi by your router and simply type that into the URL bar.

The same applies to the diagnostics on...

ognpaw.local:8080
ognpaw.local:8081

again without the http://

or you can get into the diagnostics if you know your local IP address for the station, via...

<Your local IP>:8080
<Your local IP>:8081

(Port 8082 is no longer available)

It can take a while for the station to appear on the tracker sites -  especially if there is no data being sent. If you tell us what you named it, we can take a look for you to see if it’s showing up on the PilotAware Grid.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 08:04:01 am by exfirepro »

trident

« Reply #211 on: July 21, 2020, 09:16:18 am »
Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the syntax is crucial, so I've learnt that and it's easy to assume everyone knows how important it is.

Re the port numbers for diagnostics, I did wonder if some of the access details had changed. I'll try the revised ports later to see what they do.

The station is named LongSut and it will be located 12 metres above sea level 2Km south-west of Long Sutton in South Lincolnshire. The name is about as descriptive as I could make it whilst keeping to the 7 characters, although I note some station names have 8 or possibly more so maybe I could improve it?

It's up and running at the moment and I left it on for several hours last night, but it's still not visible on the OGN map. It should appear NE of the Fenland site. How do I check whether it's actually up and running correctly please?

Its's a bit of a lash-up at the moment as I'm checking everything works as it should before mounting the Pi in a waterproof box up on the mast and installing the cables and power to it. I'll put it outside on the garden table today so it's got a good view of the sky and can hopefully see some aircraft data to work on.

I'll report back once I've checked it later.

Thanks,

Frank.

exfirepro

« Reply #212 on: July 21, 2020, 02:28:27 pm »
Hi Frank,

I only have limited access to the PilotAware Database I’m afraid, but I can see an entry for PWLongSut on the ‘Stations List’, though none of its details are showing (i.e. date last updated, software version, lat, long, altitude, etc), which I can see for all the others. This may of course be ‘normal’ for new stations until their data becomes established, but together with the ‘non-appearance’ of your Station on any of the regular reporting sites, Glidertracker, ognrange, GliderRADAR, Spot the Gliders, etc, would suggest that it either isn’t running or isn’t passing data to the internet properly.

Edit: I have also just checked and it isn't showing on any of the APRS Servers.

Can you remember if the ‘service’ restarted properly at the end of the setup process? After finishing the gsm scan and reporting the Station Criteria, it should have done this automatically as shown below...

################# Summary #######################
Station Name is                         : LongSut
Station APRS Server is               : aprs.glidernet.org:14580
Station Latitude is                      :                 
Station Longitude is                   :
Station Altitude AMSL   [M] is     :
Station Altitude GEOID [M] is      :
Station SDR PPM is                     :
Station SDR Gain is                    :
Station SDR Freq Centr is            :
################# Summary #######################

Starting services
(Current time) FILESYS  : Mount RO
PI@ognpaw:~/RTLSDR-ogn $

You were obviously able to log in to the Pi to run the config script. Can you use the same login to check port 8081 and see if it is reporting APRS Beacon and APRS Status at the bottom of the page.

How is the unit connected to the internet - presumably by Ethernet cable direct to your router?

I take it you haven’t added any additional (e,g, remote access) software?

By the way you can use up to 9 letters for the OGN station name, which is what you enter in the config, but the 9 letter name will be truncated to the first 7 for the station’s PilotAware name when the PW prefix is added by the software, after which the station displays the 2 names e.g. EFortune (OGN) and PWEFortun - no ‘e’ (PAW). Not a good idea to change the name after you get the station running, however, as this creates duplicate files all over the networks.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 02:47:00 pm by exfirepro »

trident

« Reply #213 on: July 21, 2020, 02:47:40 pm »
Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply.

I suspected something was amiss as I do remember seeing some of the details when it was installing, for instance I don't think the SDR was calibrated. I seem to remember the comment "undefined" or something similar against it, so maybe that's a clue?

I will attempt to look at the status through the ports again although my earlier attempts didn't work for some reason. Would the firewall on my router need to be configured for this, i.e. opening ports for it to send data to the server?

Thanks,

Frank.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 02:55:47 pm by trident »

exfirepro

« Reply #214 on: July 21, 2020, 03:16:49 pm »
Not really my area Frank, but I've certainly never had to configure any firewalls to get any of mine to work. Nor have I heard of anyone else having to.

Where did you see the message that the SDR wasn't calibrated? The configuration allocates SDRs to specific functions - i.e. if there is only one SDR, the software automatically suggests allocating it to Flarm reception, whereas if there are two, it suggests using the one in Port 1 for Flarm and the one in Port 2 for 1090 reception. (With the unit 'right way up' and the Ethernet port to the left, the top row USB ports are numbered from the left 1 then 3, with Ports 2 and 4 on the row below). For an OGN-R ATOM Station the convention is to put the OGN antenna dongle into Port 1 (top left) and the 1090 antenna dongle (where fitted) into Port 2 (bottom left) before starting the configuration, then say 'Y'es when the software asks you to confirm the standard allocation(s). What type (make/model) of SDR(s) are you using by the way? Did you get them from Keith or elsewhere?

Peter

trident

« Reply #215 on: July 21, 2020, 10:31:23 pm »
Hello Peter,

OK, I've done some checking and although I can get into the paw using just the basic IP address of the Pi, I can't get any diagnostic access through ports 8080 or 8081, either by local nor appending the port to the IP address - Any ideas please? Yes, PAW is connected by cable to my router as is my laptop. I can view the basic PAW at the IP address and can see the ATOM map on port 9000 OK with my station location shown but no activity.

Just thinking, as both my laptop and PAW are on the home side of the firewall, I think it won't stop the port 8080/8081 connections or will it? - I don't know enough about networking/firewalls to be sure. Maybe it's my Avast antivirus stopping it - just thinking aloud now!

Thanks for the info re default position of the USB devices. I think that may be part of the problem as I didn't see anywhere about where to put the SDR receiver in the setup instructions. BTW, I'm using the NESDR Smart from NooElec so I've got the recommended rx. I got that from Fleabay. I've got another standard SDR and have tried that in place of the NESDR, but no difference. I may use that later for the 1090 MHz if I get the basic setup working.

Next question, can I re-run the installation again from scratch using the same parameters; LongSut, Lat,Long, Alt etc. or will that screw up something on the server?

I can't remember what I saw exactly during the install, only that I read about the calibration tests for signal strength and that didn't seem to happen. It certainly sounds like I need to re-run the setup if at all possible, now I know a bit more about the basic hardware configuration prior to installation.

Thanks,

Frank.

trident

« Reply #216 on: July 21, 2020, 11:11:40 pm »
Hello Peter,

I think I've got it working!

I logged in on port 4200 and decided to see what I could do. Although I know diddley squat about Linux, I typed "config" at the prompt and it started running the installation again. I've accepted all the same defaults but with the SDR in port 1 as you kindly pointed out and this time it ran the calibration procedure OK. It gave a message at the end saying the results were inconsistent, but I think that may be down to the aerial not being optimum for 968MHz,  but at least it works.

The status now shows all the relevant info and on checking https://ognrange.glidernet.org the station is on the map and LIVE!!

If I have caused any hassle in the system with duplicate files etc, I'm really sorry but please let me know.

Right, what next? Get the hardware sorted and mounted, network and power cables up the mast and commission it properly.

Many thanks,

Frank.

steveu

« Reply #217 on: July 22, 2020, 12:02:46 am »
I must admit I did the Pi install differently.

Rather than trying to connect to it with phone or laptop, I found an old VGA monitor, got a very cheap HDMI->VGA converter, and a USB keyboard.

Plugged the keyboard into a spare USB port, and the HDMI end of my adaptor into the Pi, VGA end into monitor from loft.

Then you can see the unpacking process,  verify what happening without having to guess, and use up arrow to recall the previous command you typed wrong and have just one letter to correct in...

I never need to connect to ognpaw.local...

exfirepro

« Reply #218 on: July 22, 2020, 08:45:25 am »
Morning both,

Hi Steve,

That’s the way we had to do it all ‘back in the day’. It certainly stretched the brain for us ‘non-linux’ types I can tell you. Lee has since automated as much of the process as possible to make things easier for non-technical users and reduce the possibility for errors, but it’s still fun to plug in a monitor and keyboard as long as you know what you are doing (which you obviously do).

Frank,

Great to hear. That’s exactly what I was going to suggest. Lee added simple shortcuts for config and a few other commands to this latest software version, but as you didn’t have it running properly yet, I wasn’t sure if they would work.

Edit: The ‘inconsistency message’ is fairly common by the way. The system is trying to determine the frequency calibration offset for the FLARM Receiver dongle by comparing the known frequencies from local gsm (mobile phone) masts and results can be inconsistent depending on your location. With the NESDRSmart dongle, the offset is almost zero in any case, so no worries. If you are concerned, rerun the config once you have everything connected and up the mast and all will be well.

PWLongSut is now showing on the PilotAware Database (with all it’s details) and also showing on the usual websites. Well Done! Your persistence has borne fruit. Pretty sure there will be no ‘chaff’ on any of the websites from the setup, but if there is that can be sorted later.

You just need to get it up the mast now.

p.s. as you already have a second dongle, you can easily add 1090 - all it needs is the dongle (in the lower left port) and a simple 1090 whip on a length of fairly cheap coax ( it doesn’t need to be high quality). At its most basic, you could just strip the outer cover and braid off the top 69mm of the coax and seal the end to keep the rain out. That will work for a while, though the range will be limited.

Once you add it, rerun the config to add the second dongle (this will automatically connect the 1090 feed) then let Keith or Ash know via ogn@pilotaware.com and they will get our partner 360Radar to supply you with their MLAT feed for Mode-S 3D Rebroadcast - it’s a simple process and could significantly improve Mode-S coverage in your area.

Best Regards and once again Well Done!

Peter
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 09:18:32 am by exfirepro »

trident

« Reply #219 on: July 22, 2020, 11:36:21 am »
Hello Peter and Steve,

Thanks again for your  replies and comments.

Yes, it was nice to see the station pop up on the map to confirm it was running at last. It was pure chance I tried the config command so thanks to Lee for his sterling work to make it simple for us numpties not familiar with Linux, although I'm hoping to learn more about it and the Pi. I had a 7 inch monitor and keyboard connected to the Pi for the installation and setup, so I could see the commands scrolling up the screen as it progressed. I would have liked to have paused it as there was an error that flashed past so fast that I couldn't read it in time before it disappeared. Not sure if it was important as is still seems to work OK.

Re the 2nd dongle, does it need to be the same as the primary one i.e. a Nooelec one or can I use the standard one as used for the Pilotaware as I have a spare one of those? I expect I can, but just wanted to check before plugging it in.

OK about the calibration of the rx dongle by using phone system signals as the reference, that's interesting. I've dug out some old mobile phone aerials I saved from years ago when I used to install them in vehicles. The old TACS/ETACS analogue system worked around the same frequencies as the P3I and Flarm so I'm going to experiment with the aerials to see if I can improve coverage. I'm aware of the limitation for the P3I bridge because of the max ERP of 0.5 Watts (from memory) so won't mess with that but just get the aerial as high as possible. Again for the 1090MHz rx, I will experiment with aerials and may make a 1/4 wave with radials as a reference and play from there.

Best regards,

Frank.

exfirepro

« Reply #220 on: July 22, 2020, 11:58:35 am »
Hi Frank,

You can use virtually any dongle for the 1090 side. In fact if you tried another NooElec NESDRSmart you would find it won’t fit in the recommended port as they are taller above the plug than below! If that’s a problem with the ones you have (which it shouldn’t be) you can of course fit it on a short USB extender cable. The frequency is much less critical for 1090 receive, so no calibration is required, though you do need to rerun the config to add the dongle.

OK on the antennas - I come from a Ham Radio background and used to teach communications in the Fire Service in my latter years, so also like ‘playing’ with alternative antenna options. There are lots of ideas on the Forum and elsewhere, no harm in experimenting, though as you say - best to stick to a tuned one for the P3i transmit. If you want to improve range on that side, I suggest speaking to Keith / Ash (send a contact number via the ogn@pilotaware.com link). Keith can usually supply tuned antennas at a very reasonable ‘cost + postage’ price.

I will watch developments with interest.

Best Regards

Peter

trident

« Reply #221 on: July 22, 2020, 01:53:49 pm »
Hi Peter,

Ok, I'll go ahead and try the SDR dongle I've got. I need to get a couple of short usb extension cables as I want to mount the dongles off the pi so hopefully the connections don't become intermittent.

I've had my amateur radio licence since 1980 but had 20 plus years out of the hobby. I'm getting back into it slowly as I'm retired now. I've been playing with ATV on 23cms and 5GHz recently as I'm not far now from old amateur friends I used to contact years ago. Fortunately I've got a crank-up tilt-over tower in the garden so that where the OGN-R system will be mounted and I can experiment with aerials fairly easily. Yes, there's some interesting designs for colinears around which I shall have to consult.

Best regards,

Frank.

neilmurg

« Reply #222 on: August 05, 2020, 05:02:52 pm »
PWMurg is up and running in Esher with antennae mounted above the roof, receiving mainly from the West and round to the south with some terrain masking SE

Admin

« Reply #223 on: August 05, 2020, 07:05:04 pm »
PWMurg is up and running in Esher with antennae mounted above the roof, receiving mainly from the West and round to the south with some terrain masking SE
the range is to the North and West is unbelievable!
by any chance did you have this sited somewhere else during testing ?
the range is massive, you captured to the NW at 99km - which is where we place the cutoff!!

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #224 on: August 05, 2020, 08:04:38 pm »
Well done Neil,

Looks like it will be a very useful Station. Congratulations.

Regards

Peter