Author Topic: A Bug or Not S/D to FLARM Connection  (Read 4592 times)

Richard

A Bug or Not S/D to FLARM Connection
« on: July 16, 2017, 07:10:30 pm »
Hi Team,
       Came across something new  today. Its the first flight I have done today after the new SkyDemon and PAW updates. I set S/D to PAW connection. (original connection type, FLARM) Sadly I could not get it to connect to S/D (No GPS) so reverted back to FLARM connection within S/D settings, 6000 Key, and all worked again as it should. I tried it few times, same result.

Just do be clear on my setup. I'm using FLARM RedBox also for my  GPS source. OK Looking at my setup, I am using FLARM so It should be FLARM selected in S/D. but PAW is the WiFi connection to the Ipad so should it be PAW in the S/D settings?

This may be a Bug? Its not a problem for me but I just thought I would make Lee and the team aware of it. Sorry if you already know about it.
Richard.
Europa XS

Admin

Re: A Bug or Not S/D to FLARM Connection
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 08:37:18 pm »
Hi Richard

Could you please post a copy of your home page from PilotAware?
Shouldn't be related to the redbox, but a possibility

Thx
Lee

Richard

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 09:00:57 pm »
Hi lee
     I will post a picture. I should be at the airfield next Sunday

Richard.
Europa XS

MaxMangia

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 04:28:31 pm »
I have the same problem. SD doesn’t work setting PAW connection. I am running SD 3.8.2.77 (I am a beta tester). Using FLARM it works.

grahambaker

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 05:08:33 pm »
I have the same problem. SD doesn’t work setting PAW connection. I am running SD 3.8.2.77 (I am a beta tester). Using FLARM it works.
3.8.2.77 is the live public version as well, it was pushed out a week or so ago.

I did a successful full SDcard upgrade yesterday (for the first time, phew!) so I could pick up all the latest kernel updates and any other fixes, and I'm please to say SkyDemon connected first time after I got all the settings sorted out. No problems connectivity-wise during an hour or or so of flight afterwards.  :)

MaxMangia

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 05:20:31 pm »
After some more tests, I found the problem. I had set a static IP address with PAW to use my iPad using internet connection coming from my iPhone (paired via Bluetooth). In this configuration SD doesn’t find GPS position. If I set a dinamic address (DHCP), SD works. The question now is: how to have at same time PAW data and internet connection ? In my iPad I don’t have a SIM.
I have understood a SD forum thread well, may be now (with last update) PAW send only gps data, allowing SD reciving internet connection via bluetooth?

Thanks

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 05:42:19 pm »
Max,

I was initially confused when I read your first post above, as I'm also an SD Beta tester and have been successfully running SkyDemon via UDP with a PilotAware beta for a few weeks now. I then read your follow up and all became clear. UDP, as you say, won't connect with a static IP address, so as you have discovered, you have to set your WiFi to DHCP. Lee has just released a new 'Hotfix' 20170721 to stop PAW advertising itself as a router, thus allowing 3/4G devices to access the internet via their 3/4G connection, while connected to PAW WiFi.

The other alternative (which I use myself with an iPad MIni 3) is to use bluetooth tethering to connect it to my (Samsung) mobile phone and then use that as the internet gateway. Be aware however that 3/4G access from altitude is not guaranteed, and may in fact be illegal.

Regards

Peter
(PilotAware Engineering Team)

Richard

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 08:08:04 pm »
Hi Richard

Thx
Lee

Hi Lee
     All working now but I have not had chance to test fly dew to Aircraft Annual today. I applied the latest update you have release this week Fitst then connnected succesfully to SD using PAW option. I'm not sure what the problem was.

Richard.
Europa XS

exfirepro

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 08:28:10 pm »
Hi Team,
       Came across something new  today. Its the first flight I have done today after the new SkyDemon and PAW updates. I set S/D to PAW connection. (original connection type, FLARM) Sadly I could not get it to connect to S/D (No GPS) so reverted back to FLARM connection within S/D settings, 6000 Key, and all worked again as it should. I tried it few times, same result.

Just do be clear on my setup. I'm using FLARM RedBox also for my  GPS source. OK Looking at my setup, I am using FLARM so It should be FLARM selected in S/D. but PAW is the WiFi connection to the Ipad so should it be PAW in the S/D settings?

This may be a Bug? Its not a problem for me but I just thought I would make Lee and the team aware of it. Sorry if you already know about it.

Hi Richard

Thx
Lee

Hi Lee
     All working now but I have not had chance to test fly dew to Aircraft Annual today. I applied the latest update you have release this week Fitst then connnected succesfully to SD using PAW option. I'm not sure what the problem was.

Hi Richard,

Glad to hear you have now got it working after installing the latest update.

I was busy typing out the following post to you, when I saw you had posted the above.

I obviously know from previous posts that you are running Flarm RedBox and you say you are using your RedBox to provide both Traffic and GPS signals to PilotAware, so you presumably have the relevant PilotAware port configured to 'Flarm-IN' and also have your RedBox configured to provide 'Navigation and FLARM' Data - so NO PilotAware GPS device connected (this would automatically take priority).

For the connection to SD, you can use either Flarm or PilotAware. The settings in 'SkyDemon/Settings/Connectivity Options' relate to the connection protocol, NOT the device supplying the data. IMO the 'No GPS' message you got more likely indicates a breakdown in the PAW / SD connectivity, rather than a lack of GPS signal itself, and may have been due to the WiFi setting on your iPad being set to a Static IP address, which will NOT WORK on the UDP protocol used for the 'PilotAware' setting as Max has since found. If so, changing the PilotAware WiFi setting on your iPad from Static to to DHCP would have cured the problem.

Anyway, glad you've got it working.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 08:30:35 pm by exfirepro »