Author Topic: trig mode s  (Read 3849 times)

yateshan

trig mode s
« on: July 23, 2017, 08:41:36 pm »
hi i am new to pilot aware i am finding it very good
i have a problem with it not picking up anything from trig transponders
it is picking up in tracking c s a but not the trigs that are on our airfield.
my friend has pilot aware and he can not pick up trig transponders ether
any ideas
ed 

exfirepro

Re: trig mode s
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 09:07:13 pm »
Hi ed,

I run a Trig Transponder myself and having done most of the testing for PilotAware Mode S and C, I can assure you that PilotAware does not discriminate against Trig (or any other transponder). 'CSA' in the Traffic Screen - which I take it you are referring to - means that it is an ADSB aircraft, not a simple Mode C or Mode S.

There are three possible issues here. First check that you have 'Mode C/S Select' enabled (and saved) on the PilotAware Configure Screen. It is disabled by default to let you get used to the system first. You need to set Mode C/S Select to 'Mode CS + Filter (Beta)' if you are running a transponder in your aircraft and also set the Mode CS Detect 'Range' to Medium or Short Range - Medium is best until you confirm you are seeing transponders, but for testing you could run it on Long Range. You also need to make sure you have Mode C/S Separation set wide enough. Remember to save the changes to ensure they take effect.

Next, make sure you have your Navigation System set to accept 'Bearingless Targets' - in SkyDemon for example, this is in 'SkyDemon/Settings/Connectivity Options', near the bottom of the list.

Finally make sure the correct ICAO Hex Address for your aircraft has been set in both your Transponder and your PilotAware or you will get false alerts from your own aircraft.

Hope this helps. Please let me know how you get on.

Regards

Peter

yateshan

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 07:47:02 am »
thank you peter
i will chx all setting and report back
ed

AlanG

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 09:26:11 am »
Yateshan

You don't actually say which nav system you are using.  If, like me it is EasyVFR there is a filter built into the software that stops contacts within 100 mtrs of your aircraft from cluttering the screen when you are on the apron etc.   Could this be what you are experiencing?

Regards
Alan

EricC

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 09:37:30 am »
Screen shot of ground station this morning.

CSA  and CS  are clearly shown.  Note no range shown for CS or C.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 09:45:56 am by EricC »

Admin

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 10:16:02 am »
I think there could be some confusion coming in here, so lets clarify the issue
By the sounds of it, this is unrelated to the navigation software from the initial description, this is a pure reception issue.
Ed, I think you are reporting the TRAFFIC Table fron the PilotAware Hotspot, in which case - if that does not detect
either :-

C---- : Mode-C
or
CS--- : Mode-C & Mode-S

Then it is a reception issue, and we can ignore anything to do with navigation software.

Can I clarify the following :-
it is picking up in tracking c s a but not the trigs that are on our airfield.
OK, so does this mean it DOES Pick up C and CS, but does not pickup the transponders at your airfield
or does this mean it does not pick up C and CS from anywhere ?

If it is just your airfield, can you be sure your transponders are being interrogated ?
Remember that transponders will only provide a response when interrogated from a ground station, this will only occur when high enough in the air.
Are the Aircraft you are testing on the ground or in flight ?
If they are in flight, at what altitude ?

On the transponder, there is an ident button, this forces the transponder to transmit without interrogation. Can you try forcing your aircraft to identify themselves and see if they appear on the PilotAware traffic screen ?

thx
Lee

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 12:00:44 am »
Remember that transponders will only provide a response when interrogated from a ground station

Had this in the Californian desert a few years back. I was flying a PA28, and landed just after a Cirrus. Chatting to the Cirrus driver after landing, he said he hadn't picked me up on his traffic display. I figured that his traffic display would only be picking up secondary transponder returns and that out in the Californian desert at circuit height there was no radar that would have reached out there.

yateshan

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 06:57:41 am »
thanks for the reply's
i am running sky demon on an Android tablet
i did not have it set to bearing less target
i will try this weekend and see
also in the radar screen i have a + and - buttons and this stays at 0 my mates i pad has radar screen
and he can adjust these figures i have no black radar screen
ed