Author Topic: USB port numbering  (Read 4260 times)

Steevo25

USB port numbering
« on: June 08, 2017, 12:28:53 pm »
Hi All

Just getting to grips with my Pilotaware device and now have the requirement to interface it with my EFIS. The instructions to do it are fine and I have the recommended RS232 cable to complete. I have to change the RS232 to Dynon Traffic at 19200 baud. My question is which port is which. In the configuration screen there are 4 drop down boxes where you can select type and baud rate. But I have no idea which one relates to which USB port. I assume the first line is USB port 1 and so on, but how are the USB ports numbered on the device? Basically, which one will refer to the RS232 converter I have plugged in?

Also, would a transponder TED antenna work as an ADSB antenna and a third eye antenna (obviously 2 TEDs). I already have these spare in my aircraft and was wondering if they could be used instead of the antennas that come with the Pilotaware device.

Many thanks in advance.

Admin

Re: USB port numbering
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 01:29:13 pm »
Hi Steeve

http://www.pilotaware.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/170223-Operating-Instructions.pdf

page 35
Code: [Select]
Port 1 Top left USB port (with the Ethernet port to the left).
Port 2 Bottom left USB port (with the Ethernet port to the left).
Port 3 Top right USB port (with the Ethernet port to the left).
Port 4 Bottom right USB port (with the Ethernet port to the left).

Thx
Lee

PaulSS

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 02:22:26 pm »
Also, would a transponder TED antenna work as an ADSB antenna and a third eye antenna (obviously 2 TEDs).

No doubt an expert will be along to give an educated opinion but I think you'd be able to use the TED antenna for the ADSB but not the P3I. The only reason I make this statement is the ADSB element is set to receive at 1090Mhz (the same as a transponder and, therefore, the TED is suitable for that frequency) but the P3I uses 869Mhz for transmit and receive, so I think the TED antenna is the wrong size. I hope I'm wrong with that latter as the TED antennas would be a very neat solution to my quandry of mounting external antennas.

I realise that it might seem I'm stalking you from the MGL Forum but don't worry, we obviously share excellent taste in the gadgets we like. I assume you've seen Carlos' write up of piping PAW to his MGL iEFIS and it's something I will be doing (one day). Like your Trig transponder issue, I'd be interested to hear how you get on with what you're trying to do as it sounds like we have similar plans....although yours is in this century.

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 02:53:43 pm »
Correct Paul, fine for 1090MHz as you say, but it's the wrong frequency for P3i. You can use PAW 1/4 waves externally, providing you seal the base properly, but if you are talking about high speed 'hotships', you might want to look at external FLARM antennas for the P3i side (same frequency band as PAW P3i), available from the likes of LX Avionics - www.lxavionics.co.uk - though a bit more expensive.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 02:57:03 pm by exfirepro »

Steevo25

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 07:32:19 pm »
Thank you very much for your replies. Must admit, I missed the bit in the manual regarding the port numbering.

I may well replace one of the TEDs with a flarm antenna as everything is already there to support it.

PaulSS

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 01:51:08 am »
you might want to look at external FLARM antennas for the P3i side (same frequency band as PAW P3i)

In my dimness I hadn't thought about Flarm antennas for external mounting, instead I was thinking of how to modify some of the specific PAW antennas. I'd just like to confirm that something like the GAV-868 would be suitable. I know the name is a big give-away but I just wanted to make sure.

These are available at LX but these guys have a better photo:  http://www.gps.co.uk/antenna-exterior-gav-868-flarm/p-0-2024/

A TED antenna for the ADSB side of PAW and a GAV-868 for the P3I would be, in my mind, quite a neat setup :-)

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 10:55:49 am »
Hi Paul,

Yes that's the sort of thing. Very nice for high performance aircraft, but at a price too high I suspect for most!  ;)

Regards

Peter