Author Topic: TT21 connectivity problem  (Read 7877 times)

ibelmore

TT21 connectivity problem
« on: June 05, 2017, 07:47:46 pm »
I have read through the forum and the many posts about this.  I think I have followed all the instructions and advice correctly but I cannot get position data on the Transponder.

The FTDI cable is connected on port 1 (top left ) I have confirmed this as changing port 1 data settings in the config page stops the RED LED flashing on the USB clear plug.

Orange wire on FTDI cable to pin 5 on TT21, Black wire to pin 4 (triple checked!!) The FTDI plug is flashing red so it appears to be sending data (I saw someone said it would flash green but mine only does that whilst booting).

Using recommended Anker cig lighter plug and heavy duty power cable.

I have tried a different FTDI cable, second PilotAware box and even another TT21, all to no avail

Latest software on both

Settings are NMEA, 9600 on Trig and Transponder Trig, 9600 on the PilotAware.

PilotAware are bought bridges on Pi b+ with a current licence.

Pilotaware Home page shows everything working and all green tabs and correct USB info.  I am getting position data on skydemon (ipad) and its showing ADS b traffic.

I am sure its something simple but I can't see what it is.

Any advice greatly appreciated
Ian
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 08:00:52 pm by ibelmore »

Admin

Re: TT21 connectivity problem
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 11:08:00 pm »
Hi Ian

You say you have a second ftdi cable, can you connect the two back to back (crossover)
Then connect one usb to a laptop running putty or realterm.
We then need to see what messages are received by the laptop

Is this possible for you to try ?

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 11:16:13 pm »
Ian,

Was just about to post when I saw Lee's.

I'm confused !!

Assuming you can confirm that this is a genuine FTDI USB to Serial Level (NOT TTL level) cable, FTDI part number USB-RS232-WE-1800-BT-0.0, and that it was bought from a reliable source, such as CPC Farnell or RS Components (some advertised on fleabay are cheap copies - often sold at 'normal' prices), Orange to Pin 5 on the Trig 25 pin connector and Black to pin 4 is correct.

It's worth double - OK 'quadruple' checking that you have definitely counted the pins leftwards from the top right looking at the wiring side of the 25 pin plug. Also worth doing a continuity test from the outside of each pin through to the bare ends of the FTDI cable on the back of the connector just to make sure the joints are sound.

Other than that the settings in your PAW and transponder seem OK. I'll double check against mine next time I'm down at the plane - probably Wednesday.

The only other issue I can think of is whether the fact that you're using a Pi 1B+ could be a problem. I'm pretty sure all the ones I've done have been Pi2Bs and can't remember if it works using a Pi 1B+ - Lee will be able to advise.

Regards meantime

Peter

tnowak

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 08:21:15 am »
Ian,

Is your Trig TT21 firmware at the appropriate release? Earlier releases of firmware needed updating.

Tony

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 09:14:40 am »
He says it is Tony

Latest software on both

Peter

AlanG

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 10:36:09 am »
Hi Ian

You say it may be something simple.  Could it possibly be as simple as the configuration settings under Chapter 6 of the TT21 installation manual that you have overlooked the setting 6.1.8 GPS Input.
you also have to consider item 6.1.10 to set the correct SDA/SIL level.
Sorry if you have already done this based on your reading of the documentation you mention in the opening post but thought it was just worth a thought.

Regards
Alan

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 11:19:10 am »
Says he's set it to NMEA Alan. I was going to go through the rest of the settings once Ian has done the checks I suggested above. Although critical to obtain formal mod approval, the 'uncertified' SDA/SIL setting shouldn't be critical to getting the ADSB to transmit.

Peter

ibelmore

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 03:17:44 pm »
Thanks for all the replies everyone, Ive been without power up til now today so only just had a chance to read them.

Lee - I will hook up the cables and report back.

Peter - Yes, genuine cables from Farnell. Went thru the pins again this morning and definitely correct with good continuity all the way through.

Tony - Yes latest software on TT21

Alan - Yes, TT21 set to NMEA input, 9600 baud and uncertified GPS.

I will report back on the messages from the FTDI crossover hookup

Cheers
Ian

ibelmore

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 04:06:40 pm »
Hi Lee

Crossover test done and I can see the NMEA sentences going through.

back to check the Transponder wiring again............

Cheers
Ian

ibelmore

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 06:34:36 pm »
Still no Luck

I have completely redone the data wires to the TT21 with new wires and pins

Tested the output via crossover RS232 cable and PuTTY on my computer

But still no position reported on the TT21

Can someone confirm that it is just 2 pushes on the FN button to display the output when the transponder is in ALT mode, I just get dashes instead of numbers

Not sure where to go now

Ian

Richard

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 09:14:03 pm »
Ian
 I apologise if you have done this. But when you updated the tt21. Did you update the tt21 head display too?
       I have the same setup as you describe but I can not remember about pushing the FIN button twice, I will have to check the next time I'm at the airfield. Another simple thing that may have been overlooked, do you have a GPS lock or connection to satellites when seeing the ---- ? Sorry if you already Covered this.
Richard.
Europa XS

ibelmore

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 09:38:37 pm »
Hi Richard

No need to apologise, all suggestions gratefully received. 

Yes the head is up to date (1.12) The unit is at 2.7 (not 2.10) but it shouldn't affect this issue.  I think I will get it all back to Trig for an update and check anyway as I have run out of ideas.

GPS signal is good and the PilotAware is sending it to my iPad

Cheers
Ian

Richard

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 09:47:30 pm »
Ian
   It is looking like your firmware version (possibly) I will also check my version at the weekend to see which I have. I had a similar problem as it did not display the GPS  position. Another thing to check is, can you see your own aircraft in the PAW traffic table displaying ACS-- that will indicate that you are transmitting ADSB?
Richard.
Europa XS

ibelmore

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 09:49:58 pm »
Hi Richard

I've checked the Traffic page and, No, Its not transmitting ADSB.

I don't think it will until it gets a valid position fix to the transponder.

I have tried with another TT21 Transponder which does have the very latest software and Its not getting the position data either.

Cheers
Ian
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 09:51:38 pm by ibelmore »

Richard

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 09:58:04 pm »
Ian
   Mmmmm......
          Reading above it sounds like you have everything correct....... Thinking....... :o

Ian,
     When you did the computer test did you get the green flashing light in the USB cable? My cable flash green when connected to PC or PAW.

........ still thinking.......
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 10:12:33 pm by Richard »
Richard.
Europa XS