Author Topic: Stratux Case  (Read 15381 times)

exfirepro

Re: Stratux Case
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 10:37:16 am »
Yep,

NooElec also do a kit with 5dBi gain antennas, but they are longer and definitely NOT necessary for 1090MHz reception as you will easily pick up aircraft from over 100 miles out. The unfortunate thing with both these kits (as stated in one of my earlier posts) is that the 978MHz band antennas are of no real use to us for PilotAware as this frequency is not available for use in the UK, though they will in fact 'work' as receive only antennas - just not quite as well as the 'tuned to 1090' version - though in practice you might not notice much difference.

Do NOT be tempted to try 'out of tune' antennas on the P3i side though. At only 500mW maximum legal output, trying to run an 'out of tune' antenna on this side of PilotAware would have a seriously negative effect on transmission and reception range.

Regards

Peter

mmcp42

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 11:00:02 am »
thanks - ordered!

Wadoadi

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2017, 11:31:00 am »
I have been using the Stratux case too, you need to drill out a couple of holes and the fan mounting needs removing or so I found!
but the case is great and works very well.

I also added a heatsink to the ADS-B receiver which helps stop the USB ports getting so hot you can't touch them!

exfirepro

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2017, 05:32:56 pm »
Nice one Wadoadi,

Not sure your GPS will maintain a good fix sitting vertical though - or do you set the box down flat in flight with the antennas rotated 90 degrees into the vertical?

Regards

Peter

roweda

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2017, 08:38:34 pm »
Be very careful mounting the antenna sockets with the elongated holes on the end of these cases. I am not sure if the antenna socket on the bridge came loose or got knocked, but the result was that it ripped it out of the board. I really thought that the board was a write-off but I  have managed to install a new antenna socket and have strengthened the mounting by also gluing it, having soldered and tested for continuity and short circuits first. I am now going to glue a piece of plasticard to the inside and outside of the casing so I only have single holes as this will prevent any movement.

If anybody finds one of these Stratux cases with out any drillings in the end, please post here.

Wadoadi

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2017, 10:00:46 am »
@Peter Thank you, in answer to your questions I fly with the aerials straight and the GPS is vertical. So far after replacing the first GPS unit which had other issues, I have not had a problem. I fly a C42 and place it in the door pocket.

@roweda Thanks I will watch out for that I may also strengthen it too.

I too would love one of these cases made for PilotAware with the correct drilling etc and would swap my existing one out for it, but until then this is the best solution I believe.

Pilot H

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2017, 05:51:55 pm »
I made a 3D printed case for mine.  The switch on the front is an audio mute.

If anyone wants the .stl file I will post it.

exfirepro

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2017, 06:50:49 pm »
Looks very smart.

Regards

Peter

mmcp42

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2017, 09:33:25 pm »
I made a 3D printed case for mine.  The switch on the front is an audio mute.

If anyone wants the .stl file I will post it.

like it
there must be a market for this
do you want to make one for sale? :)

Pilot H

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2017, 12:59:22 am »
Thanks, I used two tones to match the glareshield and the headlining of the cockpit. Not really looking to make them it really is just a hobby project, but the file could be uploaded to a 3D printing service and someone could make a batch.

mmcp42

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2017, 08:38:20 am »
can you send me the file please?
I'll investigate costs for getting some made
cheers

PS PM'd my details!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 08:45:27 am by mmcp42 »

Wadoadi

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2017, 08:43:46 am »
Could you up the the file?

Maybe there should be a new thread for 3D printed case where people can upload their designs?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 03:18:43 pm by Wadoadi »

Pilot H

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2017, 02:34:38 pm »
Good idea

Ian Melville

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2017, 03:05:19 pm »
Lee could add them to the Ecosystem section?

Admin

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2017, 03:59:13 pm »
Lee could add them to the Ecosystem section?

Done!