Author Topic: Stratux Case  (Read 15410 times)

brinzlee

Stratux Case
« on: May 26, 2017, 01:01:34 pm »
I got a Stratux case the other day.....and in my application it works really well.....It has a screw for mounting to a window sucker on the back of the case. The GPS stuck on the top with hot glue and lead shortened, the ADSB receiver antenna replaced by a NooElec 1090 mhz. And with easy access protected lid to cover the USB and Network ports. And plenty of holes for cooling....
Available from Amazon as has been mentioned in previous threads.

Brinsley

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Stratux+case

Ian Melville

Re: Stratux Case
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 01:21:29 pm »
Brinsley, can you photograph it in operating orientation? Your photos may give the wrong impression that it is either GPS up and the two antenna are horizontal. Or that the antenna is vertical, and the GPS is on its side.

Keithvinning

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 02:53:27 pm »
Nice work Brinsley. It will be interesting to see what the effect of having the two antenna that close together will be.

T67M

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 04:43:54 pm »
I've had the two antennas that close for a year now - no noticeable effect.

Shortwing

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 09:16:47 pm »
I reckon with a quick guide to the extra parts the antenna etc this will encourage better take up, single piece unit.

Richard

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 08:07:16 am »
Hi,
   I made one last Week too. You have to move the hole for the PAW Bridge slightly and make a new hole for the ADSB antenna lower down and add an extension patch lead for it. It all works a treat. My GPS is internal with the covers removed also fitted with the Tuned 1090 Mhz antenna for the ADSB.
Richard.
Europa XS

brinzlee

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 03:15:33 pm »
I think we've started something here.....Looks good Richard

Shortwing

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 02:08:18 pm »
That form factor will appeal to a lot of naysayers

neilmurg

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 04:56:23 pm »
Velcro an Anker (sic) battery on the bottom of that and you've got a very flexible product. Stand alone for moving between aircraft, or plug in to aircraft power and/or aircraft aerials if equipped.
A perfect answer to the 'too many cables/aerials' brigade.
Well done

exfirepro

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 11:32:28 pm »
Nice work guys !!  ;) :)

Regards

Peter

Ian Melville

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 11:35:35 pm »
Here is my variation of the same case. I have gone for an antenna at each end. Now I need to see if it is possible to provide fan cooling.

Seanjd

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2017, 08:37:07 pm »
I have just received this case and will fit the PAW unit when I get time.

Question in respect of the RTL-SDR Antenna; Can this be replaced by using the NooElec 1090Mhz antenna? Have seen on Amazon, that you can get different one's including a pair 1090 & 978 MHZ. I am not an expert on anything 'wigglyamp' or radio waves!

Sean

exfirepro

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2017, 08:58:20 pm »
Sean,

Yes, you can replace the RTL-SDR antenna with the NooElec version, but 'our' SDR dongle uses an MCX connector, whereas the NooElecs use SMA (the same as our P3i, so be careful not to mix the antennas up).The NooElec SDR 'pairs' are designed for the US market, where 1090MHz is used for ADSB in the same manner as in the UK and 978MHz is used for a secondary 'rebroadcast and information'' channel. This frequency is NOT available in the UK or Europe, so this dongle is of no use here.

You can of course buy NooElec 1090Mhz antennas and SDR dongles separately. Just be careful what you are buying.

Regards
Peter

Seanjd

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2017, 09:04:31 pm »
Many thanks Peter  :)

mmcp42

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 10:14:39 am »
excellent thread
just to be sure I'm getting the right thing (I have the case)
is  this the antenna?

I'm guessing it's the 1090MHz one I actually want?