Author Topic: UNABLE TO UPDATE SOFTWARE  (Read 3834 times)

Skyranger1963

UNABLE TO UPDATE SOFTWARE
« on: May 19, 2017, 10:41:00 am »
Hi folks - am aware that the latest software version is 201702223 - when I hook PAW unit up to router via ethernet cable, it shows me that the PAW unit is loaded with software version 20161124.  I've clicked the Check for Updates icon on the interface button a large number of times - have not seen the expected "Checking for Updates' notice and the 'Install' box remains grey-out.  Am I doing something wrong?  Any help available would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Ian Melville

Re: UNABLE TO UPDATE SOFTWARE
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 11:14:49 am »
Do you still have the WiFi dongle installed?

John Parker

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 12:41:36 pm »
Hi
Maybe worth a mention. I had a little issue in updating. Could I do it..no. But when I used my Juicy Bitz wall charger and Juicy Bitz cable it loaded a dream and very easy via the USB memory stick. Previously I had tried the Ethernet route and USB memory stick but with a normal inadequate power supply, both of which didnt work.

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 04:55:57 pm »
As you already have the November update installed, you would be much quicker updating via USB stick. Go to PilotAware.lode.co.uk from a laptop or PC and download the update file. Copy it to the root (top level) of your USB stick and make sure it is still named 'pilotaware.pgp' (without the inverted commas). Power up our PAW THEN plug in the memory stick. Leave it a few minutes and when you check for updates you will see the new file. Simply click install and within a few minutes it will have loaded, then unplug the memory stick. If using the same stick for the next update, don't forget to delete the 'old' file first or Windows will rename the new one and PilotAware won't recognise it.

Best Regards

Peter

Skyranger1963

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 11:18:14 am »
Hi John/Ian/Peter - thank you very much for your advice and input; after a few goes, managed to do it via the USB method.  Much appreciated.  Best wishes, Paul.

ianfallon

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 10:58:38 am »
Top tips for the USB upgrade approach:

- Make sure your USB stick is formatted as FAT (which it will prob be if new) otherwise it won't work.
- Do not insert your USB stick into any USB port that you have configured in PAW config as (transponder) output - it will corrupt the whole memory stick.

Keithvinning

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 07:24:45 pm »
Hi
Maybe worth a mention. I had a little issue in updating. Could I do it..no. But when I used my Juicy Bitz wall charger and Juicy Bitz cable it loaded a dream and very easy via the USB memory stick. Previously I had tried the Ethernet route and USB memory stick but with a normal inadequate power supply, both of which didnt work.

Yes power supplies again. I have noticed that even when updating by memory stick (which is usually very easy) If the power supply is low then it can take a long time to do the upgrade causing doubt that it is working. I did this recently, operating the PAW via an ANKER 12v - 5.2V converter but with only an 11v input. It was very slow to upgrade but did it in the end.

Nine times out of ten the power supply is the problem.