Author Topic: outside antenna/s  (Read 3070 times)

Giver

outside antenna/s
« on: May 15, 2017, 09:25:58 am »
Is there any suitable outside antenna for the paws and would it be possible to combine two through a splitter, I.E. one on top and bottom of the fuselage to give the maximum reception strength,

If not can you run two internal antenna through a splitter for much of a gain in signal strength ?

ivor

Giver

Re: outside antenna/s
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 09:31:40 am »
i should have made it clear i am talking about the 869.5 mhz frequency,

ivor

Admin

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 10:02:24 am »
Hi Ivor

An external antenna will most definitely improve signal propagation, can I suggest the following document ?
http://www.pilotaware.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/PilotAware-Antennas.pdf

If this does not answer some of your issues, or you think we could make some additions, please let us know.

I think we should add this caption to the document
"ye canny change the laws of physics cap'n"

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 10:23:36 pm »
Ivor,

Splitters are technically possible, but bearing in mind the frequency and relatively low power we are using, would probably cost more than all the rest of the setup. Also bear in mind that we are limited by the constraints of the licence-free frequency band we are using to a maximum of 500mW on a 1% duty cycle, so must ensure we do NOT generate any additional antenna gain in the system.

Best advice is to stick to the recommended antennas and maximise their effective position.

Regards

Peter

Giver

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 07:27:36 pm »
thanks Peter that what i will do for the moment,  i should be up and flying in a couple of weeks so will see how it works out,

ivor

flyingalan

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 11:03:07 pm »
As PAW uses same frequency band as FLARM, then FLARM antennas can be used. FYI; LX Avionics do external mount FLARM and ADSB antennas that can be airframe mounted. (with suitable inspector approval)