Author Topic: FTDI cable  (Read 6545 times)

NeilOnions

FTDI cable
« on: May 13, 2017, 03:36:01 pm »
I have connected my Trig TT21 transponder to the preferred USB-RS232  cable and had no problem with location data being displayed previously.
Since then I have updated the software on the PA, and added the bridge, and now have no data at the transponder.
As part of the fault finding process can someone tell me if the LEDs in the USB FTDI cable flash normally in use ?
I have tried outputting data from a PC to the cable and the red led flashes, showing data transmission, but nothing, apart from the initial boot-up on the PA....
The Home screen shows the FTDI cable ok..
cheers

Ian Melville

Re: FTDI cable
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 06:05:21 pm »
Neil, can you confirm.
Your PAW previously sent location data to the Trig, you then added the bridge?

Is the PAW working normally otherwise? I am wondering if you have added the correct licence key.

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 12:12:18 am »
I have connected my Trig TT21 transponder to the preferred USB-RS232  cable and had no problem with location data being displayed previously.
Since then I have updated the software on the PA, and added the bridge, and now have no data at the transponder.
As part of the fault finding process can someone tell me if the LEDs in the USB FTDI cable flash normally in use ?
I have tried outputting data from a PC to the cable and the red led flashes, showing data transmission, but nothing, apart from the initial boot-up on the PA....
The Home screen shows the FTDI cable ok..
cheers

Neil,

Yes, From memory the green LED flashes to indicate normal operation.

You say you had this working OK before you fitted the Bridge and updated the software. You didn't by any chance rewire after this as it sounds like you may have the wrong wires connected. For ADSB out you need the Orange Tx Data wire connected to GPS Input Pin 5 on your Trig 25 pin connector and the Black Wire from your RS232 connected to Ground Pin 4 on the Trig 25 pin connector. Worth checking.

Also check that you have the correct USB port in your PAW configured to 'Transponder Trig' at 9,600 Baud. Remember the USB ports are NOT numbered the same as on the quick start sheet. For configuration, they are numbered from top to bottom then left to right...

Viewed looking towards the ports, they are numbered....

Ethernet Port       Port 1     Port 3
(On Left Side)      Port 2     Port 4

...so the 'Spare' port is normally 'Port 1'. This is a very common error and you would have had to reconfigure this after fitting your Bridge.

Let me know if this works.

Regards

Peter

NeilOnions

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 08:56:21 am »
Thanks Peter - exactly what you thought - I had not set the correct port.
easy if you know how !

Neil

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 02:03:13 pm »
Thanks Peter - exactly what you thought - I had not set the correct port.
easy if you know how !

Neil

Hi again Neil,

Easy - yes, but just because I have come across this problem several times now. It probably arises due to confusion between the 'Quick Start Guide' supplied with the 'Kits', which numbers the parts 1,2, 3, etc. sequentially to get the unit up and running quickly and the actual port numbering used by Raspberry Pi and Lee's software, which is as described above.

Glad you have it running now and others will no doubt benefit from reading this again.

p.s. for future reference - if doing a USB stick update - DON'T use a port configured for ADSB Out (or FLARM In) as this can occasionally corrupt any other files on your memory stick. It's best to temporarily remove the GPS dongle and use that port for the USB stick update. Also DON''T remove the WiFi Dongle unless your PAW is powered down.

Regards

Peter

GGVSL

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 10:18:20 pm »
Absolutely ridiculous that the port numbers are not clearly shown in the instructions.
I have spent all afternoon installing the ADSB lead from PA to my Trig TT21. Couldn't get it to work. But thought that the Spare port was number 4 according to the quick start guide. Will try again later this week to see if I can get it working.

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 10:30:22 am »
GGVSL,

The PilotAware 'Quick Start Guide' supplied with new PilotAware Classic Kits is provided as a simple assembly guide for new PAW users. For this reason, it uses simple sequential numbering to 'indicate' which ports each dongle referred to in the instructions should be plugged into.

The 'Quick Start Guide' is not intended to support more advanced operations, such as configuring PilotAware to support ADSB-Out or FLARM-In. Such advanced operations are outlined in the full 'Operating Instructions', referred to in the 'Quick Start Guide' and available at...

http://www.pilotaware.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/170223-Operating-Instructions.pdf

It is not possible to give definitive 'Instructions' for these operations due to the variety of different systems and cable types currently available. The USB Port Numbers, however, are correctly numbered in this document in the Configuration Section (see pages 33-35) in accordance with standard Raspberry Pi USB Hub configuration.

We are aware of the need to update the Operating Manual and add more detailed guidance on advanced connectivity for ADSB-Out and FLARM-In and this is in hand.

Changing the Quick Start Manual to reflect Raspberry Pi Port Numbering will IMO simply confuse the majority of our 'non-technical' users.

Please accept our apologies for any misunderstanding this may have caused. If you have any problems getting your ADSB up and running please ask on here or drop me a PM.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 11:02:15 am by exfirepro »

Keithvinning

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 10:45:43 am »
Absolutely ridiculous that the port numbers are not clearly shown in the instructions.
I have spent all afternoon installing the ADSB lead from PA to my Trig TT21. Couldn't get it to work. But thought that the Spare port was number 4 according to the quick start guide. Will try again later this week to see if I can get it working.

Sorry you are having problems.
Page 35 of the Operating Instructions defines the ports very clearly.http://www.pilotaware.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/170223-Operating-Instructions.pdf

Port 1 Top left USB port (with the Ethernet port to the left).
Port 2 Bottom left USB port (with the Ethernet port to the left).
Port 3 Top right USB port (with the Ethernet port to the left).
Port 4 Bottom right USB port (with the Ethernet port to the left).

We will update the quick start guide which describes the sequential start up process rather than the port locations.

Admin

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 11:18:33 am »
...The USB Port Numbers, however, are correctly numbered in this document in the Configuration Section (see pages 33-35) in accordance with standard Raspberry Pi USB Hub configuration.

I wonder if it would make it clearer if we posted a graphic with the port numbering in addition to the textual description
Thx
Lee

Ian Melville

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 11:26:51 am »
The confusion is because the 'quick start guild' and the full manual differ. Having used the 'quick start' guide to set the PAW up on delivery, the user assumes they know which port is which. In my opinion he 'quick start' needs to reflect reality, perhaps with a photo to help.

exfirepro

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 12:02:16 pm »
OK,

Lee -Yes, a graphic with the ports numbered in the Configuration Section of the Operating Manual would be much better than the current written description, which I always felt was a 'stop gap' to get the original Operating Manual up and running. We can also use the same graphic to illustrate the proposed ADSB-Out / FLARM-In Guidance Sections.

Ian - I agree in principle, but that is why users are referred to the full manual to carry out any more advanced configuration. Unless done very carefully, changing the Quick Start Guide will simply generate loads of 'Why don't you use Port 1' or 'Why can't I put such and such in Port XY' type questions. A Quick Start Guide needs to be kept as simple as possible and assume a low level of technical knowledge to avoid loads of extra problems.

Regards

Peter

CliveJ

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2020, 01:05:11 pm »
I've read every manual I can find, old and new reference the port allocation but cannot find an explicit instruction hence this question.

What do you allocate ports, as I believe I need to do when adding the FTDI cable and using it to output to a Funke TXP, I've done the port for the GPS and the TXP, what do I do with the ports that have the wifi dongle and the 1090 antenna connected to them?

I have assumed leave them in 'auto'  there are a few other options on the drop down but I don't know what they mean, do the other options relate to the wifi and the 1090 antenna? Or is Auto how to leave them?

Thanks, Clive

exfirepro

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2020, 02:08:50 pm »
Hi Clive,

Are we talking a Classic or Rosetta here? Not that it matters significantly as both are essentially the same. See my Reply #2 above, from 2017 for the port layout. It is the same on both PilotAware Classic and Rosetta (once you remove the case end from Rosetta).

You should NOT re-configure any of the ports from the standard default (Auto and 4800 Baud) except the one you are using for your external device - i.e. the FTDI lead to your transponder. This will normally go in Port 2 for the Rosetta - as this is directly opposite the cutout in the Rosetta case (the opening in the top half of the case needs to be opened out carefully with a round file so the cover can be slid back on). If it is a Classic, you can use Port 1, or rearrange the existing dongles to allow you to use Port 2. Again, none of the Ports should be reconfigured except the one you are using for your FTDI lead.

The Txpdr port normally needs to be configured to provide NMEA gps data to the transponder (if this is the case use the 'Transponder Trig' setting and the baud rate should be set to the same speed in both PAW and the Transponder (we normally use 9600 for Trig - you need to check the required rate in your particular Transponder Manual).

If you let me know exactly which model of Transponder you are using, I will check the connection requirements for you. Edit: see below

Regards

Peter

Edit: -

See - Connecting PAW to a transponder here... https://pilotaware.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/160902-Connecting-to-a-transponder-.pdf

and ADSB Out from TRT800A or TRT800H here...  http://docs.fasvig.info/ADS-B/Funke_TRT800A-H_Connection_uncertified_GPS.pdf *

There is also a useful article on what you are trying to achieve here, (most of which however you don't need)... https://getyourwings.co.uk/connecting-an-uncertified-gps-to-a-transponder-for-ads-b-out/

* It appears from this article that you need to connect Orange from the FTDI to Funke pin 12 (Brown), and Black from the FTDI to Funke pin 1 and/or pin 9, (Blue) and (probably) set the Baud Rate to 4800. ( For the Trig, we usually set the Baud to 9600 - but the important thing is to set both devices to the same setting). Also note the warnings regarding disassembling the connectors on the Funke (I can't help you with that one I'm afraid).

« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 02:39:23 pm by exfirepro »

CliveJ

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2020, 03:34:52 pm »
Hi Peter, thank you for getting back to me.

I have a classic, it's got the latest software, I'm connecting the FDTI to a Funke(Well it's a Filser TRT800A) that previously reported ADSB from an old Garmin GPS, NEMA 4800. Wiring is as before just reconnected.
I recently fitted remote antennas and relocated the unit under the panel and am still shaking it down, thought I'd add the PAW GPS to the TXP.

USB connections have been messed with as I moved them around as I didn't think initially the FDTI cable would fit alongside the TX/RX adaptor. However it does if you're careful. So I have lost track of what should go where though, this morning by finding an old classic manual, I have found where they started, that looks to be: Port 1 spare, port 2 TXRX, port 3 GPS, port 4 Wifi

Currently I have: 1-GPS, 2 TXRX, 3 FDTI, 4 Wifi

I allocated 3 to Funke 4800 and 1 to GPS (Seeing GPS was there, I have a GPS mouse connected).

So I can jig that all back to how it was originally, is that what I need to do? Are the ports allocated in code or somehow and expect the devices in the standard positions? Along with allocating port 1 to FDTI/Transponder Funke 4800.

I have been reading all I can find there are lots of manuals and documents.....

So that's what we have, do I need to move the USB's all back where they were and put the FDTI in 3 and the allocate that?

BTW, Funke are almost ready to do the update they have been suggesting for a few years though their last E mail said they had to order some component stock. That was a month ago, I'll give them a nudge this coming week.

Thanks, Regards, Clive
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 05:16:49 pm by CliveJ »

PaulSS

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2020, 06:09:28 pm »
Hi Clive,

I'm sure Peter will say the same, but I'll be interested if he doesn't  :)

The only USB port that needs to be changed on your Pilot Aware configuration page is the one that runs to your transponder (in your case Port 3). The others, including the GPS mouse, can be set to auto. I have a GPS mouse and there is no need to select anything on that USB port, apart from auto.

So, the way I see your set up, leave everything where it is if it all fits nicely and set the ports thus:

Port 1 - Your GPS Mouse plugged in - Auto
Port 2 - Your ADSB plugged in (Rx only, not Tx) - Auto
Port 3 - FTDI cable to your transponder - Funke 4800
Port 4 - Your Wifi dongle - Auto
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 06:15:01 pm by PaulSS »