Author Topic: GlobalSat nd-105C GPS  (Read 12558 times)

Ian Melville

Re: GlobalSat nd-105C GPS
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2017, 12:24:10 pm »
I think Lee was intending to write the commands into the boot sequence for the PAW. Partly to avoid issues, but also increase the list of supported devices. As the GPS is unlikely to be removed while in normal use, that should be sufficient.

Admin

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2017, 12:58:48 pm »
I think Lee was intending to write the commands into the boot sequence for the PAW

Hi Ian
Did you mean to say this ?
I wasn't intending to add this to the PAW Boot sequence, because these commands are ublox specific.
So if we were to use an alternate device, the other device would get pretty upset.

What I don't understand is how this device got into this 'state' in the first place, none of the ublox devices we have procured are in this state.
This was a homebuild, and hence the ublox was procured from another source.

Thx
Lee

Ian Melville

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2017, 03:24:17 pm »
Sorry Lee, I got that wrong, it was Jeremy that suggested that in reply #23

Wadoadi

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2017, 04:23:54 pm »
Progress, I think, although it doesn't address the root issue!

So this got very odd I have 2 uBlox GPS the mouse type and the USB dongle. Both send the UBX messages when connected to my personal laptop.

These messages are seen in Realterm, Putty and the uBlox software.

I connect it to a second laptop and neither GPS send UBX data or the binary data is not visible.

So here it is, my personal laptop  has the uBlox data center installed so that I could test the GPS fix issue (my root issue) it installed the uBlox device driver too.

The second laptop has the generic Microsoft generic USB serial drive Usbser.sys

I have in device manager selected the USB serial driver on my personal laptop and I now do not see the binary data.

So i believe the Ublox driver is sending a command at connection time to enable it.

Also as an FYI, on the uBlox forum I was told that these devices cannot save configuration changes.

Admin

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2017, 04:40:34 pm »
so coming back to the original issue.
you say you think that the GPS is not performaing as well in the PAW as it does in the PC ?

Can you confirm that on the PC which is using the standard driver.

And if you think there is an RF issue, do you see the same issue with the mouse, as per the dongle ?
If there was an RF issue, I would expect the mouse to perform better.

All this being said, we knwo performance indoors is poor due to modern windows etc.

Thx
Lee

Wadoadi

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2017, 04:55:58 pm »
Thanks Lee, I will test and time this tomorrow all being well and update all here.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2017, 12:44:28 pm »
In my playing around (I think it's officially called testing...  ;D) I've noticed that the PAW does interfere with the GPS. It's not a problem for me in my aeroplane though, I get sufficient reception for everything. But the GPS does work better on a USB extension to take it further away from the Wifi and SDR dongles, as seen in a less GPS-friendly environment such as at my living room window. Using a GPS mouse (VK-162) also solves this RFI issue.

Ian Melville

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2017, 01:36:17 pm »
Though I use a USB mouse type GPS all the time now, Pauls post reminded me that I found that I got a more reliable GPS, when I used a USB extension lead with the original GPS. Mine is no more than 200mm long and made a big difference.

Wadoadi

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2017, 05:35:35 pm »
thanks guys, I was hoping to test out the fix times today but had to much work on, I hope to do it tomorrow...

Wadoadi

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2017, 12:04:20 pm »
OK just wanted to update you all on this. I  did do a fix time and my USB ublox was around 186 secs whereas all my other GPSs ( I seem to be collecting them!) were between 8 and 30secs in doors.

I order a new USB GPS From HK and it came in a bag not the blister pack that the original one came in, so i thought this is not good, however it gets a fix in the house in around 20secs.

I then had issues with intermittently losing the wifi connection in flight, which required a reboot of the PI. I changed the lead for a 20SWG one and Sunday 2nd July flew to North Coates and back, around 1 hour each way with no issues.

So I'm hoping that my issues were down to a bad GPS and a power cable.

On the flight we saw other traffic including one at the same high on SD long before we made visual contact so all working well once more for me now. Thanks for your help.