Author Topic: Ipad losing connection to PAW  (Read 17456 times)

Admin

Re: Ipad losing connection to PAW
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2017, 01:33:33 pm »
Does it send empty traffic data, i.e. if the ADSB isn't connected and nothing is received?

Even when there is no traffic it still sends GPS/NMEA, and if the GPS is invalid, ie no lock/satellites visible
it sends NMEA messages indicating that the GPS data is invalid

So there is ALWAYS something sent once a second.

Thx
Lee

JCurtis

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2017, 01:56:30 pm »
Assuming the GPS source is from PAW too so not ignored by the device as it has a source elsewhere...
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Admin

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2017, 02:29:16 pm »
Assuming the GPS source is from PAW too so not ignored by the device as it has a source elsewhere...

Thats fine, because the udp server still has to recv() in order to parse the message in order to discard
Thx
Lee

MaxMangia

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2017, 04:43:19 pm »
I did some test to try to understand at what level the problem is (IPAs, SD e Classic).
When SD loose GPS signal the hotspot is on, so it seems no Wi-Fi dongle problem.
If I try to reconnect SD, some times it reconnect at the first temptative, others I have to try several times. So it's seems a GPS dongle trouble.
Ha e you any suggestions on how to solve the problems? It's boring to loose the GPS signal while flying

There are 2 messages produced by SkyDemon

1. lost connection to GPS
This is a WiFi connectivity / TCP Socket issue, and not an issue with the GPS device itself

2. searching for satellites
This is a GPS issue, because the GPS has not achieved a lock

an easy test, unplug the GPS from PilotAware and you will get message (2)

If your iPad is in range of 'known networks' it will drop and reconnect depending upon the strongest signal.
So if you are near your home wifi, you may se the ipad drop the connection to PilotAware, connect to Home, then reconnect to PilotAware

The only way to get around this, is to tell iPad to forget your home network, this will stop t connecting to other networks

I think the best solution between PilotAware and SD, is to use UDP rather than TCP, this is more tolerent to an individual lost packet.
TCP (in the SD implementation) just gives up and stops working.
I have been speaking to Tim at SkyDemon, and he is going to investigate using a UDP connection as a replacement to TCP

Thx
Lee

I receive the first kind of message. When I receive it, the Wi-Fi icon on IPad is on, full range.
I don't have in my plane any other Wi-Fi hotspot.
If I understand well, the only hope I have is to wait for SD will implement UDP instead of TCP (or TCP with re-connect option).

Thx

grahambaker

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2017, 06:39:43 am »
My iPad/PAW combo has had very few connectivity issues, but the PAW hotspot is unique, in that when connected to it none of my iPads have ever shown a wifi icon top left.

Is this normal, and is the fact that MaxMangia is seeing an icon related to the problem?

Admin

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2017, 08:03:38 am »
Max
How often are you having this disconnect?

Also can you try an experiment, there is a free app called 'telnet lite' for ipad/iphone.
Could you install this and setup a connection for :-
Ip address 192.168.1.1
Port number 2000

When connected to the pilotaware wifi, run the connection defined above.
You will be prompted for a password, you can supply any 4 characters

The gps and traffic information is now streamed.
If we see a disconnect, then we know the issue is connectivity and unrelated to skydemon
I am confident that the issue is unrelated to skydemon, but would like this confirmed

Thx
Lee

MaxMangia

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2017, 09:48:23 am »
Max
How often are you having this disconnect?

Also can you try an experiment, there is a free app called 'telnet lite' for ipad/iphone.
Could you install this and setup a connection for :-
Ip address 192.168.1.1
Port number 2000

When connected to the pilotaware wifi, run the connection defined above.
You will be prompted for a password, you can supply any 4 characters

The gps and traffic information is now streamed.
If we see a disconnect, then we know the issue is connectivity and unrelated to skydemon
I am confident that the issue is unrelated to skydemon, but would like this confirmed

Thx
Lee

Hi Lee,

The problem is random; sometime in 20' flight it happens 2-3 times, other in 2 hour flight nothing happens. I'll install the software and try tomorrow, I'll fly for 6-7 hours.

Many thanks for your support

P.S. If I connect SD to PAW using Wi-FI and FLARM protocol, I loose any internet data connection (before PAW I paired my IPad with my IPhone). Is there any way to have both? 

AlanG

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2017, 10:01:10 am »
Lee

I've just tried my Ipad with PAW and as Graham has said in his last post the wifi indicator on the Ipad disappears when on PAW wifi so I suspect that this is indicative that the wifi has no internet connection.
I started this post prior to Max's last post and was prompted to read it before posting and I think he has answered his own problem.  If as he says, the wifi indicator is on when he looses SD connection then is it possible that the Ipad is still trying to make an internet connection via his phone if it is in range. Prior to reading his post I was going to ask if it was a 3/4g ipad and it was trying to establish internet connection that way

Edit: Ipad also throws up a security recommendation when connected to PAW.  That could be normal as I very seldom use this combo.  I have Android devises for flying.

Alan
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 10:11:15 am by AlanG »

Ian Melville

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2017, 10:24:37 am »
Edit: Ipad also throws up a security recommendation when connected to PAW.  That could be normal as I very seldom use this combo.  I have Android devises for flying.

Alan

IIRC That's normal if you have no password set on the Wifi.

Admin

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2017, 11:03:38 am »
Hi Max

Alan raises a good point
Do you have your iphone set to share its internet connection?
If so your ipad could be switching connections between Pilotaware and your iphone

If you want to share your internet connection from iphone, you can do this over Bluetooth instead of wifi

Thx
Lee

Rogerthedodger

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2017, 06:13:43 pm »
I have a very straightforward setup. Lenovo Tab 3 8inch Android tablet running SkyDemon connected to PAW. Every time I fly at some point I will look down at my tablet to find the 'lost connection to GPS' message. This happens apparently completely at random, sometimes with tens of minutes between problems, sometimes within  just a minute or so. Each time I see this message I just tap 'Go Flying' on SD and 'use FLARM' and almost immediately I am connected and back running OK. So PAW is not rebooting etc as it is too quick to reconnect for that and it never has to report 'searching for satellites' either. It appears just to be a simple loss of connection between SD and PAW. However it is very frustrating and I am therefore using PAW less and less and also reluctant to recommend to any fellow pilots. This is such a shame as I would like to have a stable and reliable setup for PAW and SD. Please advise.

MaxMangia

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2017, 07:28:29 pm »
Hi Max

Alan raises a good point
Do you have your iphone set to share its internet connection?
If so your ipad could be switching connections between Pilotaware and your iphone

If you want to share your internet connection from iphone, you can do this over Bluetooth instead of wifi

Thx
Lee

Hi Lee, my configuration is:

IPad, no SIM card, connected via WI-FI to PAW
IPad connect via Bluetooth to iPhone with SIM card and internet connection

However I have tested iPad connected via WI-FI to PAW with no other connection. The problem occurs random in both cases.

To give you more information I have also tested iPhone connected via WI-FI to PAW running radar screen on the browser. In this case I have never lost my PAW connection. 

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2017, 08:55:49 pm »
Sounds like the problem is with the iPad trying to connect to other connections or otherwise losing connection. Can you change your Wifi settings on the PAW, to try various combinations of wireless B or G, with various powers? I had a problem a while back where I used to lose connection if my tablet was too close to my PAW. With one lot of experimental settings it would only work when the two were nearly 2 metres apart or further.

Rogerthedodger, can you try various Wifi settings as well?

MaxMangia

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2017, 09:49:06 pm »
Sounds like the problem is with the iPad trying to connect to other connections or otherwise losing connection. Can you change your Wifi settings on the PAW, to try various combinations of wireless B or G, with various powers? I had a problem a while back where I used to lose connection if my tablet was too close to my PAW. With one lot of experimental settings it would only work when the two were nearly 2 metres apart or further.

Rogerthedodger, can you try various Wifi settings as well?

I have my PAW fixed behind the mount where is the IPad. Do you think could be this the problem?

Admin

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2017, 11:01:21 pm »
Max
What power setting do you have for the wifi ?

Thx
Lee