Author Topic: Can I source GPS in from Garmin? + antennas  (Read 2413 times)

Birdyboy1

Can I source GPS in from Garmin? + antennas
« on: May 12, 2017, 04:17:50 pm »
I've been using PFLARM for a few years and find the GPS drops out much more frequently than my Aera500 which has proven rock solid even using it internal antenna.
The problem is that, with FLARM as source, Skydemon sometimes loses track and I have to restart it to get positional fixes back.
If I feed my FLARM into PAW, both will become susceptible to these drop ours and so it won't get better. Did I read somewhere that its possible to feed GPS into PAW and have FLAM input as well, if so I could use another RS232 - USB and feed the Aera500 GPS in.

Also I gather the P3i supplied with the classic kit is a 869.1MHz dipole, so I don't need a ground plane (in my GRP Europa) - is the signal polorised, does it matter about orientation - is horizontal over my head OK?
The software defined radio antenna supplied looks like a monopole, which implies the need for a ground plane, is this true? and does the orientation matter on this one? Maybe swapping for a dipole is better on this too?

Admin

Re: Can I source GPS in from Garmin? + antennas
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 06:08:14 pm »
I've been using PFLARM for a few years and find the GPS drops out much more frequently than my Aera500 which has proven rock solid even using it internal antenna.
The problem is that, with FLARM as source, Skydemon sometimes loses track and I have to restart it to get positional fixes back.
If I feed my FLARM into PAW, both will become susceptible to these drop ours and so it won't get better. Did I read somewhere that its possible to feed GPS into PAW and have FLAM input as well, if so I could use another RS232 - USB and feed the Aera500 GPS in.
If you connect the Standard ublox GPS, it will use this in preference to the GPS coming from the FLARM unit, disconnect this, and it will use the FLARM Supplied GPS.

Also I gather the P3i supplied with the classic kit is a 869.1MHz dipole, so I don't need a ground plane (in my GRP Europa) - is the signal polorised, does it matter about orientation - is horizontal over my head OK?
The dipole does not need a ground plane, but is vertically polarized, so as near vertical as possible

The software defined radio antenna supplied looks like a monopole, which implies the need for a ground plane, is this true?
No, this requires no groundplane

and does the orientation matter on this one? Maybe swapping for a dipole is better on this too?
No need for a dipole, but yes vertically polarized

Thx
Lee

Birdyboy1

Re: Can I source GPS in from Garmin? + antennas
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 08:33:35 pm »
"If you connect the Standard ublox GPS, it will use this in preference to the GPS coming from the FLARM unit, disconnect this, and it will use the FLARM Supplied GPS."

Thanks for the prompt rely, great, sorry to labour the point, so:
a) which USB port does the FLARM go in on if the ublox is installed; just the remaining USB port I guess?
b) is there a reason I cant feed the GPS in from the area500 via a serial to USB instead of using the ublox?

thanks Graeme