Author Topic: Audio output to input  (Read 9313 times)

exfirepro

Re: Audio output to input
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 11:10:33 pm »
Hi Paul,

You won't regret buying it and running it at home (or wherever) will give you plenty of time to get used to it before you go to fit it in the plane.

Regards

Peter

PaulSS

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 09:25:32 am »
It'll be interesting to see how many P3I contacts I get in Western Australia  ;D

AlanG

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2017, 09:42:17 am »
Paul

Careful on that one as the P3i frequency is not a free unlicensed frequency over there as I understand it,  >:( but there is the facility to turn off the P3i transmit mode and play with all the other features.  ;D

Alan

exfirepro

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2017, 11:55:45 pm »
It'll be interesting to see how many P3I contacts I get in Western Australia  ;D

Paul, I assumed you were UK based - or are you just travelling out East ?  ???

As Alan has said the P3i frequency is not 'legal' for use in Australia - check out previous Forum posts by Bill Maxwell.

Regards

Peter

PaulSS

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2017, 07:21:18 am »
Thanks for the heads-up regarding P3I versus Oz rules. As you say, I could still get one and play with ADSB etc.

Peter, we live in Western Australia and I'm based in Japan but we plan on moving back to the UK next March (ish) and that's when I get compensated for doing so by my wife by getting my own flying machine  ;)

exfirepro

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2017, 01:10:23 pm »
Ok Paul, all now CAVOK!

Regards

Peter

Ian Melville

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2017, 01:15:40 pm »
Sounds like a good plan Paul  :)

grvbc

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2017, 05:37:02 pm »
I've hardwired by PAW audio out to my TY96 radio's AUX IN connection via a simple passive audio mixer (which mixes audio from various sources GPS, EFIS, PAW etc).  The TY96's AUX IN level is set to max.

Unfortunately, whilst there's plenty of volume from the other devices, the PAW warnings are decidedly quiet and easy to miss, despite the PAW volume being set to 10 (on the latest version).

Now, I could, I suppose, build and install an amplifier or an active mixer/amplifier, but I'm wondering if its possible just boost the volume on each of the PAW audio files (using a audio editor like Audacity) to make things a lot simpler.  It might help others with similar issues?

I'm guessing the WAV/MP3/AAC/whatever files are already at their audio max headroom??  but I thought I'd ask.

exfirepro

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2017, 11:13:09 pm »
grbvc,

Whilst my own PAW audio setup (Flycom with Icom radio) have always worked fine, we have had several reports of low audio using some radio/intercom combinations. Unfortunately, as you say, the Pi is already at maximum gain, so turning it up further is not an option. Several users have added a small audio preamp to the PAW audio out and this is definitely the easiest way to deal with the problem. Trying to boost individual warnings using external software will IMO almost certainly lead to grief.

Try a search on 'audio amplifier' from the forum home page.

Regards

Peter

Pilot H

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2017, 07:01:42 pm »
I have had success with using impedance matching transformers to match audio input without causing distortion.