Author Topic: wifi problems  (Read 24230 times)

wyrleybird

Re: wifi problems
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2015, 03:38:35 pm »
Lee tried it again today on the wi-fi dongle  that was dropping out and its seems ok, been on for 1 hr so don't know whats going on.
Update   there seams to be differences in the wi-fi dongles with the same chipsets but the one Lee sent me never drops out.
the one on ebay advertises the correct chipset but doesn't say in on the packet.

Glenn
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 04:13:36 pm by wyrleybird »

jamespratt

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2015, 06:14:34 pm »
I am also having problems with Wifi dropping out.  Sometimes all is ok for an hour, sometimes it drops out after 10 minutes. I get the message "lost connection" and "failed to establish connection with Butterfly Connect unit".

I am using all the components from the hardware list including a 20 gauge USB power cable.  The wifi dongle is in the slot furthest from ethernet port and is blinking away happily. The dongle is this one:   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231483794170?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have SD running on an ipad mini with collisionaware and GPS info being supplied by an external GPS ( XGPS160 via bluetooth). The power supply is a fully charged portapow 10200mAh battery. Their blurb says it can run raspberry pi, along with all the usual other things. I have also had wifi drop out when being powered by an ipad charger plugged into the mains.

Any ideas - bad wifi dongle? collisonaware?

Admin

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2015, 07:38:20 pm »
Hi James

One common thread seems to be emerging, and that is external bluetooth gps.

I am wondering if the ipad does not have the power to maintain 3 simultaneous connections.
Effectively, you have
BT - iPad
Skydemon - PAW
CollisionAware - PAW

This is the one common factor I see.
By any chance do you have a USB-GPS you could connect to PAW ?
If this were to stay up, it could be an indication of what I am saying

Also what versions of PilotAware and CollisionAware are you using ?

A final alternative would be to use nmeagps instead of collisionaware

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 07:41:11 pm by Admin »

jamespratt

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2015, 08:05:17 pm »
Hi Lee,

I am using pilotaware version 20151003. I downloaded collisionaware last week - is there a new version of this?

Don't have a GPS dongle to try but can give it ago some time soon.

I was hoping to keep on using my external GPS because it has proved to be reliable, it does glonass and GPS and can bluetooth to more than one tablet at a time.

Does £150 of GPS buy any better reliability than a £10 dongle?

Having said all that, SD and pilotaware have been running for the last 2 hours without any dropping out!

« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 08:13:14 pm by jamespratt »

Etheav8r

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2015, 10:14:26 pm »
Hi James

One common thread seems to be emerging, and that is external bluetooth gps.

I am wondering if the ipad does not have the power to maintain 3 simultaneous connections.
Effectively, you have
BT - iPad
Skydemon - PAW
CollisionAware - PAW

My setup is an old iPad 2 with IOS 7.1.2 and Sky Demon, CollisionAware, and an external Bluetooth GPS - the GNS 1000.  The connection is solid and reliable...... but my longest test is just over an hour.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2015, 10:35:18 pm »
Aha! I had this "wifi drop out" last night with a specific setup so I decided to investigate this evening.

In my attic, I have a DVB dongle connected straight into a coaxial collinear antenna, and thence to a 5m USB lead. It works great with my PC.

I received my Pi B+ through the post yesterday to replace my existing B, to make a proper unit which can take a USB GPS as well (on order). I was trying out the B+ with one DVB dongle and it was working fine here in the house. However, by the time I got it working it was late at night and there weren't many airliners around. So, thought I, I would go upstairs and plug my antenna/dongle/5m USB lead combo into the Pi to see if I could get any aircraft from further afield.

So what happened? Well, the Wifi wouldn't stay on, it kept dropping out and wouldn't connect back unless I rebooted the Pi. It stayed on from a matter of seconds to a matter of minutes, but drop out it did. I tried it with two different tablets. So then I went to bed...

This evening I had another go, and sure enough, same results. When I swapped the DVB dongle back to the one I was using before, plugged directly into the PI, the Wifi stayed up...and it's running up in my bedroom now and has been up for hours.

So it could be the DVB dongle, or the combination of stuff plugged into the USB ports may be overloading the power available on the sockets.

I meant to try using my Pi B instead of the B+ but I haven't got round to it yet.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 10:47:22 pm by Paul_Sengupta »

Richard

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2015, 07:52:26 am »
I had the same problem. It turned out to be the power lead. Have you got the recommended one?
Richard.
Europa XS

wyrleybird

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2015, 09:20:32 am »
I have done several tests with 2 sets of hardware except the pi     I now have a fully working PilotAware which never drops out.
I went flying for 3 hr still all ok, tested at home for 9hrs still no drop out.
The problem i had was the wi-fi dongle, the other one was ok but kept dropping out randomly,  the one I had off Lee of which was slightly shorter
on the head never dropped out.
So Lee where did you get that one you sent me?
Oh by the way the one that drops out is from Ebay known good sources.

Glenn

Admin

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2015, 10:27:54 am »
I have done several tests with 2 sets of hardware except the pi     I now have a fully working PilotAware which never drops out.
I went flying for 3 hr still all ok, tested at home for 9hrs still no drop out.
The problem i had was the wi-fi dongle, the other one was ok but kept dropping out randomly,  the one I had off Lee of which was slightly shorter
on the head never dropped out.
So Lee where did you get that one you sent me?
Oh by the way the one that drops out is from Ebay known good sources.

Glenn

I bought a batch directly from China
http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6786601010.html?orderId=68245927377885
I think this also relies upon the seller using the same supplier  :-\
Thx
Lee

AllanBirt

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2016, 12:19:20 pm »
Hello,

I received a new Raspberry Pi and the wifi is connecting flawlessly with that new board.
The two Pi's look almost exactly the same but further investigation showed that the first board is marked : Raspberry Pi 2 model B V 1.1 as the other is marked  Raspberry Pi 2 model B+ version 1.2.
I thought Pi2's were all the same and there was only a difference in PI1 between B and B+.

I'll ask for the licence in the correct thread.

Can you tell me where you purchased this new Raspberry PI2 from, with this new revised board 1.2, i know it uses the newer processor BCM2837 but clocked at 900Mhz