Author Topic: Call sign UP-OGN on detected by Pilot Aware  (Read 29990 times)

map5623

Re: Call sign UP-OGN on detected by Pilot Aware
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2017, 11:53:58 am »
I was wondering if "crowd funding" might help?

Admin

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2017, 11:55:56 am »
I was wondering if "crowd funding" might help?
Yes, yes and yes

Admin

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2017, 11:57:22 am »
Regarding privacy (via the OGN), it follows the same rules
You must register, and set your permissions
Default is not to be identified

Thx,
Lee
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 10:44:02 am by Admin »

map5623

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2017, 03:37:33 pm »
Lee
I haver just had a look at the OGN list of ground stations, currently 140 not all working.
I assume you are in touch with the OGN people, any idea much would it cost to finance the existing
network?

regards
Mike

exfirepro

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2017, 03:57:24 pm »
AFAIK you do not have to enter your Reg or CAA issued Hex ID into the PAW configuration data. PAW will happily enter a random Hex ident for you. So I'm guessing this is an in-built privacy measure if you choose not to enter identifying data.

Chris

Chris, as you're probably aware, that's fine if you aren't running a transponder/ADSB, but if you are, PAW needs to run your correct ICAO Hex to be able to filter out your own signal. Accepting that the point of the post is about privacy, we would nevertheless always 'suggest' running your proper ID.

Regards

Peter

Keithvinning

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2017, 09:09:58 pm »
Lee
I haver just had a look at the OGN list of ground stations, currently 140 not all working.
I assume you are in touch with the OGN people, any idea much would it cost to finance the existing
network?

regards
Mike

Hi Mike

We are working on the documentation to install a new site which will be available soon.
Every site will be somewhat bespoke in the physical implementation but the electronics and hardware parts , should be about £280.00 for a new installation and about £120-160 to upgrade an existing OGN site depending whether a new Pi, power and case are required.

This of course doesn't include the labour for procuring, building and putting up which I hope will be a labour of love and putting something back to the community.

I don't know what you mean by how much would it cost to upgrade the existing community? but I hope that this will help you and others dimension the costs.

We are hoping that regional champions will emerge to put up a few new antennas in their area to augment the existing OGN network. If you can't do this then perhaps you can be a fundraiser in your club. Each new station installed will provide 30KM of protection as it were for the benefit of the flying community nationally both gliders and powered aircraft.

Robski

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2017, 01:34:35 pm »
What are the R-Pi requirements for a PAW/OGN station?

I have/know of a couple of redundant original Pis left over from the shield days that I could donate to a PAW/OGN station being considered at my airfield.

Would they have enough grunt or is it all Pi 2 now?
Rob
If the good Lord had intended man to fly He would have given him more money.

exfirepro

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2017, 02:28:51 pm »
Rob,

Original OGN will run on a Pi1, but the OGN rebroadcast via PAW Bridge uses much more processing power, so Pi2 is the recommended board.

Regards

Peter

Robski

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2017, 10:36:24 pm »
Thanks.
Rob
If the good Lord had intended man to fly He would have given him more money.

Chris-TT

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2017, 12:46:01 am »
Is there a guide somewhere to opt-in to the OGN with a PilotAware unit?

I understand that when we choose "Register a Device" we then select OGN, but after this what is the Devide ID? I'm guessing Registration is simply the aircraft reg? Also is the Competition field relevant?

My biggest concern is only registering the PilotAware unit, so if the other shareholders fly without my PilotAware unit I haven't opted the aircraft as a whole into the OGN.

grahambaker

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2017, 03:59:40 am »
My biggest concern is only registering the PilotAware unit, so if the other shareholders fly without my PilotAware unit I haven't opted the aircraft as a whole into the OGN.
There is no obligation to register in order for you to see OGN traffic. Registration just brings some additional 'benefits' which may or not be of interest.

Chris-TT

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2017, 07:31:44 am »
Ahh ok, I thought this allowed glider traffic using the service to see my aircraft too? Which if is the case surely it's better to have them able to see you too.

exfirepro

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2017, 09:42:02 am »
Chris,

The main point of registering with OGN is to allow your aircraft to be identified via the OGN servers as a powered aircraft on for example 'spot the gliders'. (As a consequence of data sharing, you will also show up on sites such as FR24.)

This allows gliding sites to see you on their big screen displays but will NOT allow individual gliders to see you directly. Gliders will only see PilotAware if they are PilotAware equipped, which for normal gliders is unlikely due to PAW's higher power demands. This was the whole point of the OGN/PAW integration project.

Remember  that under the rules of the air, we (powered aircraft) are obliged to give way to gliders, which we can't do if we can't see them.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 10:00:48 am by exfirepro »

Admin

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2017, 11:26:36 am »
I would add to this, that in addition to being visible on FR24 / Glidernet, I think the most important feature is the Search and Rescue capabilty.

OGN runs a database which records registered devices for a period of up to 24 hours, so in the unlikely event you go missing for whatever reason, your ID can be looked up in the SAR database and your last known movements can be obtained.

I must admit, I have thought about the idea of having a PANIC button, which sends a new message over P3I indicating you are in trouble, this seems very useful in conjunction with the SAR facility in alerting any listening stations, or the central server.

Thx
Lee

PaulSS

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2017, 02:51:09 pm »
Sounds like the DSC button on my boat radio  :)

Or you could just use 121.5 (and listen to the yanks tell you you're on Guard)