Author Topic: Call sign UP-OGN on detected by Pilot Aware  (Read 29951 times)

Deker

Re: Call sign UP-OGN on detected by Pilot Aware
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 12:05:05 pm »
A fantastic and stunning achievement. 8)
Congratulations to the PAW team.

rg

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 02:08:44 pm »
So whats needed to be one of these broadcasting stations?

Admin

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 02:27:03 pm »

Keith Vinning with the help of Guy Glover is working on instructions to install a new OGN/PAW combined ground station, and also how to upgrade an existing OGN station to a combined OGN/PAW

The Instructions are pretty much the same as a standard OGN installation, except it has the following additions
- Hardware
    - PilotAware Bridge
    - PilotAware Antenna
- Software
    - PilotAware Decoder

The installation has to be as simple as possible, which basically means
- Install the hardware
- Load the SD card with Software
- Boot and Configure for geographic location

Installation requirements
- A good view of the sky, so - highest antenna mounting possible
- An internet connection

Thx
Lee

Keithvinning

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2017, 08:35:56 pm »

Keith Vinning with the help of Guy Glover is working on instructions to install a new OGN/PAW combined ground station, and also how to upgrade an existing OGN station to a combined OGN/PAW

The Instructions are pretty much the same as a standard OGN installation, except it has the following additions
- Hardware
    - PilotAware Bridge
    - PilotAware Antenna
- Software
    - PilotAware Decoder

The installation has to be as simple as possible, which basically means
- Install the hardware
- Load the SD card with Software
- Boot and Configure for geographic location

Installation requirements
- A good view of the sky, so - highest antenna mounting possible
- An internet connection

Thx
Lee

Hi Russ

As Lee says we are working on the detailed instructions on how to

(i) Upgrade an existing OGN site which is usually located at a glider site or in a glider enthusiasts premises. (this will be done with the co-operation of the existing OGN champions and is expected to cost about £150 or less for he bits)

(ii) Install 100+ additional new OGN receivers and PilotAware uplinks to fill in the gaps and provide redundancy in existing areas. This is the great synergy that the project gives as it expands the OGN reach by putting units at our flying sites and enthusiasts premises as well as the glider sites. (To install a new OGN Receiver and PilotAware uplink will cost about £250 or less)

The idea is that we encourage additional OGN Champions from the powered community who will consider installing individual Receivers or a group of Receivers and Uplinks to "protect their area".

We envisage that a Club will have a raffle or a curry night to fund the installation. A small cost to enable your area of 30KMs and to link up with the next.

We will be setting up an email address where folks who want to get involved in creating history, and get the tee shirt as it were, can register their interest.

What do you guys think?

grahambaker

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2017, 08:58:33 pm »
Great concept chaps, well done.

When you mention having overlapping ground stations, will that not result in duplicates hitting a PAW airborne receiver?

Admin

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2017, 09:42:45 pm »
When you mention having overlapping ground stations, will that not result in duplicates hitting a PAW airborne receiver?

This was one of the objectives of the trial.
Yes it can receive duplicates, but this is resolved in software, in fact this is resolved today in the receiver nothing special was written to handle that scenario.
This was the main reason for choosing Bidford, Wellesbourne and Shenington, if you notice they are in a perfect triangle, and so one of the trial objectives was to be able to fly through the various parts of the triangle and assert the data was correct, from multiple sources

Richard

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2017, 12:22:49 pm »
Team,
   What happens when an aircraft is carrying FLARM and PAW actively transmitting both ?
Richard.
Europa XS

Robski

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2017, 01:20:02 pm »
... and get the tee shirt ...

What do you guys think?
I'd buy one. The T-shirt that is. No, really!
Got my RV-6 one on today, as it happens.

Slightly more seriously.
How is the UP-OGN roll out being co-ordinated?
Are the existing OGN sites being contacted to persuade them to participate or are we hoping they will show an interest?

There is a gliding club near my home that is apparently an OGN station. Just wondering if/when they might go UP-OGN.
Rob
If the good Lord had intended man to fly He would have given him more money.

exfirepro

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2017, 02:13:56 pm »
Team,
   What happens when an aircraft is carrying FLARM and PAW actively transmitting both ?

Richard,

Lee would have to give you the technical answer, but as you know, I run both PAW and FlarmMouse and didn't see myself appearing as UP-OGN en route through the 'Test Zone' to and from Popham, if that's what you mean. I did see loads of other UP-OGN contacts, so I guess it's dealt with in the filters.

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2017, 02:35:08 pm »
Team,

So long as the same ID code is used in
- FLARM
- PilotAware
- ModeS/ES

It is all resolved in software

thx
Lee

Richard

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2017, 01:06:23 pm »
Thank you
    Yes that is the answers I suspected from the testing.  Grate keep up the brilliant work you are doing. 
Richard.
Europa XS

Admin

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2017, 01:36:33 pm »
How is the UP-OGN roll out being co-ordinated?
Are the existing OGN sites being contacted to persuade them to participate or are we hoping they will show an interest?

There is a gliding club near my home that is apparently an OGN station. Just wondering if/when they might go UP-OGN.

Not sure if you have seen the LAA Article yet ?
please contact ogn@pilotaware.com

The roll out will probably be quite ad-hoc - we are not the CAA or NATS :o
A number of volunteers have already come forward to say they will do the work, additionally we need to help people raise the funds - but this needs to be done at the grass roots level - strut & club donations, and also possibly a helping hand from our flying associations LAA, BMAA, BGA, FASVIG.

Thx
Lee

buzz53

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2017, 10:03:58 am »
I notice, in PAW-derived screenshots on the Flyer forum, that the Flarm targets all have the ID "UP-OGN" rather than any unique Flarm-related ID. Is this just temporary or the way it will work in the long term? I had been wondering how this new development would work with the OGN privacy model but I guess this partly sidesteps the issue.

On a related topic, since my previous query was ignored, I'd still like to know if PAW intends to implement any privacy measures such as Flarm/OGN do, or is it now inevitable that using PAW means all flight data will be uploaded and archived at FR24 etc?

Alan

JCurtis

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2017, 10:12:11 am »
On a related topic, since my previous query was ignored, I'd still like to know if PAW intends to implement any privacy measures such as Flarm/OGN do, or is it now inevitable that using PAW means all flight data will be uploaded and archived at FR24 etc?

Alan

For the main FR24 feed it uses data from an aircraft transponder, that must show the correct ID.  So if PAW is feeding the transponder to enable the ADSB Out then the correct ID will always be shown. 

The same as a glider fitted with Mode S and FLARM, FR24 can identify the aircraft by Mode S but FLARM may well be set to privacy but it won't help hide the aircraft ID from the FR24 or ADSBExchange networks.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Moffrestorer

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2017, 10:19:42 am »
AFAIK you do not have to enter your Reg or CAA issued Hex ID into the PAW configuration data. PAW will happily enter a random Hex ident for you. So I'm guessing this is an in-built privacy measure if you choose not to enter identifying data.

Chris