Author Topic: PWA and other device  (Read 8347 times)

H2O

PWA and other device
« on: March 22, 2017, 12:37:29 pm »
Just bought PAW, i would like to know if it´s possible to connect PAW and other device to transmit ADSB 1090 aswell on Skydemon ( eg Sky Echo )

Admin

Re: PWA and other device
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 12:56:04 pm »
The device that SkyDemon runs (iPad / Android) can only connect to one Wireless HotSpot device.
That device could be either PAW, or SkyEcho, but not both.

SkyEcho can Provide ADS-B Data to SkyDemon
PilotAware can Provide ADS-B, Mode-C, Mode-S, P3I Data to SkyDemon

So in both cases ADS-B is provided

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

Re: PAW and other device
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 01:29:31 pm »
H2O,

To supplement Lee's reply above, we had a similar issue from a PAW and Sky-Echo User some time back over on another thread. See here, but probably worth also reading the whole thread:

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,760.msg9273.html#msg9273

If you already have a Sky-Echo and don't want to run two separate displays, you could run the Sky-Echo as a blind transmitter (providing you are NOT also running a Mode S transponder) and use your PilotAware as the common receiver (which will also continue to transmit its own position via P3i). If I remember correctly Sean decided to run two separate tablets so he can see both system displays as he has plenty of space to do so.

The Sky-Echo is otherwise a lot of money for a 'blind' low power ADSB transmitter which can't be seen by ATC or commercial traffic !

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 01:31:10 pm by exfirepro »

H2O

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 02:29:51 pm »
Thanks a lot  :) :) :) :) Exfirepro and Lee, just trying to get transmission 1090 to show on Fr 24, and with PAW i think i can´t get it
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 03:41:18 pm by H2O »

Ian Melville

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 06:49:53 pm »
The purpose of PAW is to stop you bumping into other aircraft, not to provide entertainment to the internet  :)

H2O

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 06:58:22 pm »
Ian you're right and that's the reason I bought PAW instead of Sky Echo, but if I want that a family member can track my flights specially long ones it could be a safety ad on too
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 07:10:20 pm by H2O »

Ian Melville

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 07:32:37 pm »
The cost of SkyEcho is a bit steep for that.

H2O

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 07:39:12 pm »
What you suggest ? I have a Mod C transponder.

Ian Melville

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 09:33:13 pm »
For now, I would not do anything. There is a lot of things going on in this technical field and I would wait and see what happens.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 11:33:27 pm by Ian Melville »

exfirepro

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 10:19:58 pm »
What you suggest ? I have a Mod C transponder.

....which you obviously can't upgrade to ADSB out. Not an easy decision. I can see why you are looking at the Sky-Echo, which you could certainly still use with your Mode C. The Sky-Echo transmitter only needs to be turned off if you are running a Mode S transponder, but if that was the case you could feed gps data from your PAW to upgrade Mode S to full power ADSB out. Remember that unlike most ADSB transmitters, the Sky-Echo is low powered (only 20 Watts) so might not show very reliably on FR24 anyway.

As Ian says, things are changing rapidly in this field, so very difficult to give definitive advice I"m afraid.

Regards

Peter

Moffrestorer

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 12:23:52 am »
Hi H2O,

I note you are using Sky Demon. You may not be aware that EasyVFR Nav program has a facility called Virtual Radar. This uses "spare" capacity on 3/4G to record your track and position during flight which friends or family can access on their internet site, overlaid onto Google maps. Ive tried it and very effective it is too. Probably won't work out of range of mobile phone masts though such as long water crossings. It's not ADS-B but it's free if you use EVFR.

H2O

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 12:57:50 am »
Thanks for both reply's.
Moffrestorer I have SkyDemon and Airnavigation Pro wich have that function too, I've tried it but there are a lot of areas with low coverage ( mountains and country area ) I'm from Portugal and here aswell in Spain the coverage is low in mountains and countryside.
Exfirepro, that's the issue with a adsb transceiver as Sky Echo I might not need to buy a transponder Mod S ES wich could cost 2500€ plus install. Perhaps PAW could in the future have the possibility to upgrade to transmit 1090?

Ian Melville

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 06:30:13 am »
What about the Satelite tracking options used by long distance flights?

Just picked one a random
http://www.findmespot.eu/en/index.php?cid=128 or http://www.findmespot.eu/en/index.php?cid=100

There is a monthly subscription, but it would take quite a few years to get close to the cost of SkyEcho, and would seem more suited to your needs?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 09:06:58 am by Ian Melville »

H2O

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 08:10:05 am »
Thanks Ian, going to considerer this option it's cheaper and probably more accurate.
Like exfirepro said the Sky echo transmits at 20 w and the usual transponder's do it between 160 to 200, that's a huge difference, so I think the skyecho might not be received by FR24 .
I could change to a transponder mod S adsb out 1090 ÉS but the cost could reach 3000, like the garmin GTX 335, I could change transponder but in the meantime I can keep the Mod c until it's mandatory a Mod S

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 05:15:19 am »
If you're thinking about a Mode S transponder, have a look at the Bendix King KT74.