Author Topic: First Time Builder  (Read 13617 times)

Richard

Re: First Time Builder
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 07:35:50 pm »
Hugh,
    Welcome to the club.

1.  Does the ADS-B receiver also pick up Mode C in addition to Mode S?
2.  As I have a Mode S transponder fitted to my aircraft - do I need the transmitter board in my PolitAware unit as I will be already transmitting all Mode S stuff?

The ADS-B receiver within Your New PilotAware will only receive from a mode s transponder if it is transmitting ADS-B output (That is if is connected to the aircraft's GPS)

Yes you will need the Transmitter board so that your PilotAware transmits your ADS-B output to other PilotAware units so they can see you on there screen. If you do have an ADS-B output from your aircraft's transponder they will see this.

I think I've got this correct
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 07:38:40 pm by Richard »
Richard.
Europa XS

Admin

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 11:23:52 am »
2.  As I have a Mode S transponder fitted to my aircraft - do I need the transmitter board in my PolitAware unit as I will be already

Hi Hugh
Just a follow up to Richard.
PilotAware does pickup mode C but does not currently use the data, not sure how useful this info is, because it only provides altitude, but no direction, or distance

You say you have mode S, is it connected to a GPS to provide ADS-B Out ?
If you are providing ADS-B out, then arguably we could disable the P3I-Out, any other PilotAware will receive your ADS-B transmission, but we do need the P3I-In, otherwise you will not see traffic which is ONLY transmitting from PilotAware

N6010Y

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 03:03:15 pm »
2.  As I have a Mode S transponder fitted to my aircraft - do I need the transmitter board in my PolitAware unit as I will be already

Hi Hugh
Just a follow up to Richard.
PilotAware does pickup mode C but does not currently use the data, not sure how useful this info is, because it only provides altitude, but no direction, or distance

You say you have mode S, is it connected to a GPS to provide ADS-B Out ?
If you are providing ADS-B out, then arguably we could disable the P3I-Out, any other PilotAware will receive your ADS-B transmission, but we do need the P3I-In, otherwise you will not see traffic which is ONLY transmitting from PilotAware

Hi Lee,

Not too sure if my Mode S in connected to my GPS - it should be, but I need to confirm.

Regarding my questions regarding other transponder modes; It's going to be a while until ADS-B is mandated in the UK, and although PilotAware will provide this function prior to the mandate coming into force, most of GA traffic fly with either Mode C or  Mode S (with some still Mode A).

I think that making PilotAware display Mode C (all be it limited) and Mode S (non ADS-B), will make a great product even better, but more importantly make GA airspace safer.

Any thoughts?

P.S - Still awaiting the ARF board stock availability - humph!

Hugh

Admin

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2015, 05:10:22 pm »
I think that making PilotAware display Mode C (all be it limited) and Mode S (non ADS-B), will make a great product even better, but more importantly make GA airspace safer.

I could warn about a transponder signal reporting with 250ft of our current altitude.
the problem is it may be 100 miles away, transponder signals carry a long way