Author Topic: First Time Builder  (Read 13629 times)

N6010Y

First Time Builder
« on: September 23, 2015, 06:42:40 pm »
Hi Folks,

All bits arrived except the compact ARF transceiver - have noted the other posts on when/if they are expected to come into stock again.

Also decided to go for the slice of POD construction after reading through the various threads etc.

A quick question on the ADS-B Receiver Dongle - I'm assuming (gulp) that the remote control, install CD and ariel are not used, and the signal for the ADS-B USB dongle is via the ARF transceiver when fitted - or am I totally wrong!

Many thanks - and don't be surprised if I ask a few more questions along the way....   :D

Hugh

Admin

Re: First Time Builder
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 06:46:17 pm »
Hi Folks,

All bits arrived except the compact ARF transceiver - have noted the other posts on when/if they are expected to come into stock again.

Also decided to go for the slice of POD construction after reading through the various threads etc.

A quick question on the ADS-B Receiver Dongle - I'm assuming (gulp) that the remote control, install CD and ariel are not used, and the signal for the ADS-B USB dongle is via the ARF transceiver when fitted - or am I totally wrong!

Many thanks - and don't be surprised if I ask a few more questions along the way....   :D

Hugh

You are correct, the RC and CD are not required.
The signal for the ADS-B is NOT via the ARF, it is a tuner itself, so simply connect the supplied aerial
and you are good to go.

BTW, you can get your system up and running to receive ADS-B, before the ARF arrives

Thx
Lee

N6010Y

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 06:52:12 pm »
Lee,

Many thanks for the quick reply - let me know how I can get it up and running with the ARF please - PM if required.

I live approx 4 miles from Heathrow (but fly from Blackbushe), so I should have no issues getting traffic on SkyDemon.

I have so far:

1.  Copied the operating image onto the micro SD Card.
2.  Powered the RPI, connected to a monitor and confirmed the mouse and keyboard are working.
3.  What option of Operating System do I select on the RPI boot up options?

Hugh

N6010Y

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 07:39:36 pm »
Lee,

Of course, my last post should have said "without" the ARF Board and not "with" - oops.

Hugh

Admin

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 07:42:10 pm »
Lee,

Many thanks for the quick reply - let me know how I can get it up and running with the ARF please - PM if required.

I live approx 4 miles from Heathrow (but fly from Blackbushe), so I should have no issues getting traffic on SkyDemon.

I have so far:

1.  Copied the operating image onto the micro SD Card.
2.  Powered the RPI, connected to a monitor and confirmed the mouse and keyboard are working.
3.  What option of Operating System do I select on the RPI boot up options?

Hugh

document here http://www.pilotaware.com/hardware/
section 7 installing software

Wadoadi

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 09:06:04 pm »
in case it helps the gotcha i had with my first install is the instructions on this site say:
Instructions for installing are the same as installing a NOOBS installation, instructions are here
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/

I took this literally! So i downloaded Noobs and then copied over PilotAware plugged the Ethernet cable in and got Noobs installed, but no Pilotaware!

What you actually need to do is download PilotAware build ONLY from this site not Noobs  from www.raspberrypi.org and DO NOT plug the Ethernet cable in, else it will download Noobs and you won't get Pilotaware!

so download PilotAware and copy it to the root of your microSD card and install without the network cable plugged in choosing the first menu item from the choices, if it is correct you will see the PilotAware logo while it installs ...

Hope this helps!

Adrian

N6010Y

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 09:14:44 pm »
Thanks folks,

I've installed the PilotAware operating system - all well.

Now having issues with my USB dongle.  I ordered a dongle with the correct chipset, but the boot fails during the hotspot setup.

I plugged in a (very) old TP-LINK TL-WN721N and this appears to work, (but is a huge early days dongle), but I'm waiting for a license key to see if I can get it talking to SkyDemon.

As a matter of interest Adrian - what wi-fi dongle did you order (is there an EBay link)?

Hugh

Richard

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 09:24:49 pm »
Richard.
Europa XS

Admin

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 09:37:59 pm »
Thanks folks,

Now having issues with my USB dongle.  I ordered a dongle with the correct chipset, but the boot fails during the hotspot setup.

I plugged in a (very) old TP-LINK TL-WN721N and this appears to work, (but is a huge early days dongle), but I'm waiting for a license key to see if I can get it talking to SkyDemon.

As a matter of interest Adrian - what wi-fi dongle did you order (is there an EBay link)?

Hugh

Can you post a link to what you purchased
Somebody ordered one from the pihut which is reported as rt5370, but causes hostapd to hang

N6010Y

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 09:39:20 pm »
Thanks Richard - just placed the order.

N6010Y

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 09:42:56 pm »
Lee/Folks,

This is the wi-fi adaptor I bought through Amazon that doesn't work! - It is advertised as a Raspberry Pi WiFi dongle!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EZOQFHO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01

Hugh

Admin

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 09:52:25 pm »
Lee/Folks,

This is the wi-fi adaptor I bought through Amazon that doesn't work! - It is advertised as a Raspberry Pi WiFi dongle!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EZOQFHO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01

Hugh

I noticed somebody reported this in the reviews

This doesn't work out of the box on a Raspberry Pi.

The one I got reported as 148f:7601 and this has problems according to 'elinux.org'

RT5370 USB-ID 148f:7601 Advertised on eBay as RT5370 chipset but has Mediatek 7601T chip instead. [7] DOES NOT WORK out of the box; requires compiling a driver downloadable from mediatek.com or from github.com

If you plug pilotaware into your wjired network with an rj45, go to
http://192.168.0.100

This will show the usb devices, can you report ?

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 09:55:36 pm by Admin »

Wadoadi

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 09:50:02 am »
Thanks folks,

Hugh

Hi Hugh, I'm a bit late replying and I see you have already ordered one, but in case it is of interest to anyone this is the working WIFI dongle I have from Amazon http://amzn.to/1WkwWiS 

ianfallon

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 03:20:24 pm »

N6010Y

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 06:47:09 pm »
Lee, et al,

Weyyy-heyyy - I have my PilotAware unit up and running; talking to SkyDemon, and picking up all the Heathrow traffic and even some as far out as Odiham (I live in Staines).  I'm still awaiting the transceiver board, but the Slice of POD arrived today.

Now then - a couple of quick questions:

1.  Does the ADS-B receiver also pick up Mode C in addition to Mode S?
2.  As I have a Mode S transponder fitted to my aircraft - do I need the transmitter board in my PolitAware unit as I will be already transmitting all Mode S stuff?

Really chuffed it's working - great job pulling this together for a fraction of the FLARM costs

Hugh