Author Topic: Defective SD card holder.  (Read 3504 times)

MikeD

Defective SD card holder.
« on: March 12, 2017, 06:19:32 pm »
Hi,

I purchased one of the first batch of manufactured Pilot Aware units and have been updating the versions by SD card.  While checking the unit yesterday I noticed that the SD card will not lock into place, not a good thing to find just at the beginning of the flying season!

Question: where/how can I buy a replacement board?

Just a quick comment on the design of the casing. The position of the internal SD slot is just in the right position to allow the card to completely miss the card holder and land up inside the casing (done this twice so far!)

Regards

Mike

Ian Melville

Re: Defective SD card holder.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 07:27:09 am »
Hi Mike,
The board with the SD card on is a Raspberry Pi 2B. There are many suppliers, but here is one example with stock http://cpc.farnell.com/raspberry-pi/rpi2-modb-v1-2/sbc-raspberry-pi-2-model-b-v1/dp/SC14210
Note: you will need to send Lee a PM with the old MAC address from the LAN MAC of the broken board, and the LAN MAC address from the new Ri Board. You will also need to start with a fresh install on your SD card.

I've dropped the SD card inside many times myself. Other cases are available, but the one supplied is a good all-rounder. It would be possible to reduce the opening with some bits of plasticard, but I have managed to get the knack now.

GT

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 10:59:54 am »
I have the same problem, a defective SD Card holder, the card will not stay its socket.

So i purchase a PI 3 Plus Board, but i cannot not seem to load up the system... ami doing something wrong

Regards
Gary

Ben Smith

• Engineering
  • Glider pilot, electronics engineer and Beekeeper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 11:36:31 am »
All the later raspberry boards use a friction slot (non latching) as the spring latch ones used on the pi 2 were renowned for failing, with the later boards it is often useful to add a small tab of sticky tape to the SD card otherwise it is very hard to get it out if it is in a case.
Also I don’t think the pi3+ is supported yet, only the pi3 (but I would be happy to be wrong on this)

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 11:42:03 am »
Hi Gary,

Unfortunately the current PilotAware software (Version 20180520) does not support the Raspberry Pi 3B+ Board, so if your new board is as you say the 3B+ version this solution won’t work.

We are testing on the 3B+, but still have some unresolved issues under investigation, so can’t say yet whether the next software version will include full support for the 3B+ (which would solve your problem) or not. Sorry!

In the meantime, it might be worth trying a bit of sticky tape to secure your card in your original board as a ‘temporary fix’. Very ‘low tech’, but worth a try.

Regards

Peter

GT

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 11:44:45 am »
Thnaks for the quick reply, and will try the sticky tape out

Merry Christmas and happy new year from all at LLAO Fire Station

GT