Author Topic: Help Connecting to Dynon skyview  (Read 20580 times)

skyboy999

Re: help connecting to Dynon skyview
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2017, 11:50:51 am »
Hi Lee

Configuration:
PAW:
Version 20170223
Port 3: Traffic Dynon, 9600 baud

SV:
Version 15
Serial port 3: Flarm Traffic, 9600 baud

USB/Serial lead: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/usb-to-ttl-serial-cable-cable-n74de

Thanks

Admin

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2017, 12:38:28 pm »
Hi Skyboy

I think this could be your problem.
Does the Dynon want serial TTL or RS232 ?
Most systems want RS232, which is +/-12v, TTL is 0/+5v, the logic is also inverted
Logic 0 - RS232=+12v TTL=0v
Logic 1 - RS232=-12v TTL=5v

Can anyone else confirm if the Dynon requires TTL or RS232 ?

thx
Lee

JCurtis

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2017, 01:21:50 pm »
Hi Skyboy

I think this could be your problem.
Does the Dynon want serial TTL or RS232 ?
Most systems want RS232, which is +/-12v, TTL is 0/+5v, the logic is also inverted
Logic 0 - RS232=+12v TTL=0v
Logic 1 - RS232=-12v TTL=5v

Can anyone else confirm if the Dynon requires TTL or RS232 ?

thx
Lee

As they state RS-232 in all the manuals then it will be full RS-232 and not TTL Serial - so a USB->RS-232 lead is needed rather than the TTL given above.

Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

exfirepro

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2017, 05:49:19 pm »
.....The same cable we recommend for connecting FLARM-In to PilotAware or PilotAware GPS Data Out via RS232 to most (if not all) Transponders, Brins.

Regards

Peter

skyboy999

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2017, 06:20:04 pm »
Thanks Guys, not surprised it's me being daft. I'll get the correct cable and try again. Easy when finally you find someone who understands these things.

skyboy999

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2017, 11:34:58 am »
Now working. Initially, same as before at 9600 baud but works fine once changed to 57600.
Thanks all.

Admin

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2017, 11:39:49 am »
Now working. Initially, same as before at 9600 baud but works fine once changed to 57600.
Thanks all.

Great News!

crisisguy

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2017, 09:51:00 am »
Ive given up with the PA - Dyon connectivity.  Even when working the display is no where near as readable as the ipad Skydemon setup.

I run my ipad connected to the PA and i share the flight plan with my iphone over airdrop and then have the iphone connected to the Dynon systema nd sent it over the Dynin wifi. that way i have 2 independent GPS crosschecking location.

Only issue is the SD shows loss of internet connectivity pop ups unless i set connectivity to offline. 

Admin

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2017, 11:30:33 am »
Hi crisisguy

Ive given up with the PA - Dyon connectivity.  Even when working the display is no where near as readable as the ipad Skydemon setup.

Do you mean you have given up because you cannot get it working, or because the Dynon display is not useful ?

Thx
Lee

crisisguy

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2017, 12:31:07 pm »
It works intermittently and then drops out occasionally Lee

that said, even if it worked flawlessly i am still going witht he SD as the display is much better

BobD

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2018, 11:21:02 am »
I have just posted this on the Dynon Forum and I'm guessing that Skyboy999 is Steve-D over there

Just bumped this thread to see if there is any additional information.

I am just in the process of snagging my new aircraft, and have a similar problem to the OP. My Skyview is connected to PilotAware via the RS232 connection, and on original startup, traffic shows as expected. However, after  a few minutes, the Traffic Fail message appears. My PilotAware is connected to my android phone, and that appears to be still operational in flight (although I can't swear it has "seen" other traffic in the short flights I have made, but the aircraft icon doesn't  disappear).

I haven't looked at the RX or sentence counter yet (as suggested in Reply #1), and will do next time I visit the airfield, but just wondered if anyone else had experienced a similar problem, or if the OP found a solution ?

On another point, Crisiguy's tip for having two devices connected between PilotAware, Skydemon and Skyview is good, in his case Iphone and Ipad. I decided to do something similar so I can transfer my Skydemon Flight Plan to Skyview using WiFi, but retain my PilotAware Wifi connection to SkyDemon. I use  an Android phone, and an Android Tablet. The problem is you can only connect your phone or tablet to one WiFi source at a time. To get around this, I found an Playstore App that allows you to prioritise the WiFi source on the phone and tablet, called (surprisingly!) WiFi Prioritizer I simply prioritise the phone to PilotAware, and the tablet to Skyview.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2018, 12:01:27 pm »
My friend Paul has reported some issues with his Skymap V running from the PilotAware via RS232. He said it reports "no GPS position" or similar. I give him a GPS mouse to try. However on further questioning, he said that it's completely stable on a tablet connected through Wifi, so I don't think it's the GPS.

He said that the connection is at 9600 baud currently. He thought this might be too high and that data might be getting corrupted. I suggested it might be too low and that it might be a buffering problem.

Any suggestion to the amount of data being send and the most suitable baud rates to use?

Admin

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2018, 03:05:36 pm »
9600 baud is way too low, you need at least 57600 baud, and preferably, as high as it will go
Thx
Lee

Nicotyph

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2021, 09:52:55 am »
Hello,
I don't succeed to connect PAW to the dynon.
I make all that you say. I've a ugreen cable of 3 meters. I am asking if the cable is the problem.
I have seen somebody buy this type of cable. Is he properly work ?
Thanks
Nicolas