Author Topic: Help Connecting to Dynon skyview  (Read 20187 times)

Paul_Sengupta

Re: help connecting to Dynon skyview
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 07:13:02 pm »
I think in modern times we've lost the art of RS232 communication!  ;D

When testing my USB-serial adaptors when they were first used on the PAW, I used an old "null modem" cable I had to connect the two dongles together. You can probably still buy them if you look. Just keeps things neat while experimenting.

BobD

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 08:33:29 am »
Bit of trivia/nostalgia for you Paul

https://youtu.be/CDlj0jBtYmQ

Ian Melville

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2017, 09:01:26 am »
 ;D
As someone who spent a year designing RS232 data link installations in telephone exchanges for my sins.

exfirepro

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2017, 09:14:37 am »
Nice one Bob,

Maybe Paul and Ian could get together and record a version 8) - unless of course they already have..... ;D ;D ;)

Still useful kit though!

P

JCurtis

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2017, 12:18:02 pm »
;D
As someone who spent a year designing RS232 data link installations in telephone exchanges for my sins.

Still designing and building RS232 & RS485 today, lots of gear still uses it.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

crisisguy

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 08:40:10 am »
Just to let you know all worked well in the skyview, whilst the skyview gives a traffic warning, it doesnt give the more detailed audio details of where the target is so im keeping the audio output from the PA into the music input on the Garmin GMA 240. On take off and landing i mute the music input, the skyview only gives traffic alerts when airborne.

Thanks for the great support and great product, wish it were made mandatory for all GA aircraft as am surprised how many aircraft i see visually have no conspicuity device.

exfirepro

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2017, 08:52:07 am »
Hi again David,

Thanks for the update. Glad you have got it all working.

....wish it were made mandatory for all GA aircraft as am surprised how many aircraft i see visually have no conspicuity device.

Unfortunately unless it becomes mandatory, this situation is likely to remain. All we can do is try to make sure we can 'see' as many of those aircraft / systems that are transmitting position data as possible and keep spreading the word. Oh...and make sure we don't allow ourselves to become too engrossed in our screens and ALWAYS maintain regular and effective visual scans.

Best Regards

Peter

brinzlee

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2017, 07:55:15 am »
Tried to connect a PAW to Dynon Skyview with a USB RS232 port on a friends plane. All configured and works a treat. Skyview has been configured as FLARM and the traffic is showing up on the display with direction of travel. The only issue I have is next to the traffic symbol is +99 and not the relative height. Has anybody else encountered this problem and is there a fix anywhere....I can't see any user configurable areas anywhere on the Dynon.
Kind regards
Brinsley

BobD

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2017, 07:15:06 pm »
I have just connected up my Skyview, and have the same display as Brinsley(i.e. +99 showing against traffic).
Any progress/explanation on this point ( I have tried a search with no other hits)

BobD

Admin

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2017, 09:27:52 pm »
99 I am guessing is 9900ft, I wonder if traffic above 9900 is reported as 9900 as this is the highest can be represented. Are you able to compare against RADAR or a nav tool ?

BobD

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2017, 08:08:15 am »
Could be, as I am testing it in my garage, and picking up traffic around 36K feet. As I don't live near an airfield, I seldom see traffic lower than this.
It is impressive that I pick up anything with the aircraft in the garage, and the PAW buried in the panel.
I read in some old posts that there may be plans to use Dynon Skyview GPS feed for PAW. Any progress on this ?
BobD

skyboy999

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2017, 10:51:51 am »
Apologies if I am hijacking this thread but I'm also having problems connecting PAW to Dynon SV, albeit different circumstances.

I've read previous posts and connected/configured likewise.
SV shows 'Traffic Fail' message on map. Looking at stats for the SV serial port:
-RX continuously increments and quite rapidly
-Sentence errors: 0
-Good sentences: 0
-Group errors: increments slowly

I tried posting on the Dynon forum but they were less than helpful saying only that PAW was not speaking the same language as SV. As others have successfully connected, this cannot be the problem.

PAW is configured as 'Traffic Dynon'.
SV is configured to serial3 as 'Garmin TIS Traffic'. I have also tried 'Flarm Traffic' but, in addition to above stats, that also gives a 'Flarm offline' caution message.
I've tried various baud settings; each matching.

I suspect the incrementing 'group errors', and zero 'good sentences' mean something but not sufficiently savvy to know what.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

exfirepro

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2017, 01:23:25 pm »
Have you checked you are running the latest PilotAware version? A significant part of the 20170619 update was to deal with SV issues. The latest version is 20170721 - see http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,948.0.html. Lee may be able to give further advice when he comes on.

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2017, 01:37:07 pm »
Apologies if I am hijacking this thread but I'm also having problems connecting PAW to Dynon SV, albeit different circumstances.

I've read previous posts and connected/configured likewise.
SV shows 'Traffic Fail' message on map. Looking at stats for the SV serial port:
-RX continuously increments and quite rapidly
-Sentence errors: 0
-Good sentences: 0
-Group errors: increments slowly

I tried posting on the Dynon forum but they were less than helpful saying only that PAW was not speaking the same language as SV. As others have successfully connected, this cannot be the problem.

PAW is configured as 'Traffic Dynon'.
SV is configured to serial3 as 'Garmin TIS Traffic'. I have also tried 'Flarm Traffic' but, in addition to above stats, that also gives a 'Flarm offline' caution message.
I've tried various baud settings; each matching.

Hi skyboy
The Traffic format should be 'FLARM' not Garmin.

Some questions.

1. Can you supply a reference to the USB/RS232 device you are using
2. How have you configured the USB port in PAW(a screenshot would be useful)

Thx
Lee

BobD

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2017, 06:41:42 pm »
Skyboy, I can confirm that my connection between PAW and Skyview Touch is working fine. I followed Carlp101's previous instructions. I set up Skyview port 1 as FLARM and 57600 baud. I plugged the USB/Serial cable into PAW port 1, and set it at 57600 baud also. I am running the latest PAW  hotfix, and Skyview v15

It does look as though the 99 signifies traffic above 10K, as I spotted a Ryanair flight descending this afternoon below 10K, and the Skyview display started to reduce (i.e 94)

Just to repeat the question from my earlier post, any plans to use the Skyview GPS for a PAW feed ?