Author Topic: Help Connecting to Dynon skyview  (Read 20592 times)

crisisguy

Help Connecting to Dynon skyview
« on: March 08, 2017, 06:20:29 pm »
Ive purchased a serial to USB connector https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00QUZY4WO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ive connected the Transmit out to a  serial input on the skyview and tried various settings on both the PA (which recognises the USB-serial adaptor) and the Skyview but nothing is happening - no packets are being received by the skyview.

I know the serial input works on the skyview as a gps puck was connected on this channel before and worked.

How can i test if the usb converter is sending data?

any other things i can try?

thanks

David

« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 03:09:38 pm by exfirepro »

Admin

Re: help connecting to Dynon skyview
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 07:15:58 pm »
Hi

Please take a look and post here

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,819.0.html

The only way to test that the output from the rs232, is to connect to another rs232 cable into a terminal program, eg putty

Thx
Lee

crisisguy

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 08:17:40 pm »
thanks Lee

i read this post and did as the OP suggested

Is putty freeware?

David

Admin

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 08:54:12 pm »
Is putty freeware?

Yes, you can use any terminal emulator you wish, PuTTY, RealTERM, HyperTERM ...

Thx
Lee

crisisguy

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 06:04:01 am »
thxs Lee

Ive noticed the USB port settings only list a FLARM -IN , is this the correct one to use?

Ian Melville

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 06:59:26 am »
No, you want the 'Traffic Dynon' option.

crisisguy

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 05:44:40 pm »
Ive purchased another serial - usb cable, have connected the 2 together (both are recognised by the PC and the PA box). Ive set putty to serial connection and same com port on the PC but nothing is showing on  the putty screen

im attached a log file of the pilot aware

pilot Awre is running latest version PilotAware Version(20161222) and ive attached a grab of the home page

any further suggestions?

thxs for the help as would be great to get this working on the skyview

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 06:10:26 pm »
Silly question, but you have set the correct port to Dynon haven't you?

All baud rates correct?

Admin

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 06:24:31 pm »
Looks like you have configured the wrong port ?
All those errors mean it is unable to send data

can you post your config page, and tell us which of the 4 USB sockets you have connected your USB/RS232 dongle

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 06:26:04 pm by Admin »

crisisguy

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 08:05:13 pm »
thxs Lee

I tried the cable on both USB ports 1 and port 4 (does it make a difference?) - that said i've used the port the PA shows on the config page - as attached

The baud rates were set the same on both output on PA and the PC - I tried various baud rates, matching them on botht he PA and the PC

i set the output on the PA to dynon traffic and also tried auto

config page attached

thxs again Lee and others

« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 08:06:58 pm by crisisguy »

crisisguy

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 08:22:10 pm »
hers ascreen shot with the cable on usb port 4

Ian Melville

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 12:14:12 am »
David can you supply a photo of the USB/RS232 cable in the port, so we can see which port you are using. Also a screen shot of the config page showing the USB ports?

Can you also confirm which colour wires you connected together to link the two cables. They must cross-over.

We will get there in the end!

exfirepro

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 12:36:12 am »
David,

We need to see which port you have the USB / RS232 cable in. With the ethernet port on the left hand side, the PilotAware ports are numbered as follows: -

Ethernet    1, 3

Ethernet    2, 4

This is NOT THE SAME order as the port numbering shown on the quick start setup instructions.

You need to know the correct numbering to allow you to configure the ports on the PAW 'Configure' Page, which is why we need a screenshot of that to tell us which ports are configured as what settings - the USB Port reporting on the PilotAware 'Home' Page - which you have posted twice - tell us what is connected, but NOT in which port - as the order they are listed in doesn't bear a direct resemblance to the actual USB port numbering.

Also, you need to connect the Paw Tx to your Dynon (or PC) input, hence why Ian has asked for details of which pins/wires you have used. Simply connecting two Serial cables together by for example using a double male adaptor, doesn't ensure connection of the correct wires between the two devices.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 08:50:44 am by exfirepro »

crisisguy

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 07:25:59 am »
thanks Peter and Ian - i got it working through putty

2 things i did wrong - i used a gender changer connector for the 2 cables, I didn't appreciate i needed to crossover the Tx and Rx pins

I had configured port 4 as the Dynon traffic and not appreciated the usb assignments as per Peter's post. The usb serial cable is actually plugged into port 1 (top left next to the Ethernet plug)

Ill take it down to the plane later today and check it there, however, this is now looking promising as lots of data is flowing into the putty screen where as before there was nothing

David

« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 07:49:40 am by crisisguy »

exfirepro

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 08:46:45 am »
Hi David,

Well done and thanks for posting your 'mistakes'. That really helps everyone else avoid them! Glad you have now got the data flowing via PuTTY. It should work fine in the plane now. Please let us know.

Regards

Peter

P.s. just edited my earlier post as I noticed I was talking about 'transponders' instead of Dynon systems. One of the hazards of replying to multiple Forum posts when you should really be in bed  :-[ Fortunately the principles are the same, so no harm done.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 08:57:44 am by exfirepro »