Author Topic: SOLVED - Connecting Pilot Aware to SkyView  (Read 12996 times)

carlp101

SOLVED - Connecting Pilot Aware to SkyView
« on: March 05, 2017, 05:53:04 pm »
Hi All,

Further to a question I received I thought I'd share the details of how I connected my Pilot Aware to my SkyView Touch.

To connect the Pilot Aware unit to the SkyView you'll need to source a USB to Serial cable. I used this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-to-Serial-Adapter-High-Quality-FTDI-CHIPSET-RS232-BT232-WIN-7-8-10-DB9-/151406431857?hash=item234086ce71:g:aWgAAOSwhlZYsbrR.

You will also need to solder TX and RX of one of an unused SkyView serial ports to an RS232 female connector. This is connected to the USB to RS232 cable above.

Configure the SkyView serial port connected to the USB cable in SERIAL PORT x SETUP, SERIAL IN DEVICE. I may have set it to GARMIN TIS TRAFFIC, but I can't remember at the moment. It may have been FLARM. Anyway, page 4-23 of the SkyView installation manual (v15.0) describes it (http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?action=downloadfile;file=SkyView_System_Installation_Guide-Rev_AA_v15_0.pdf). Configure the port to use 57600 baud.

Configure the USB port on the Pilot Aware to output FLARM traffic and set it to 57600 baud. All being well you should start to see the traffic symbols on the map and in the synthetic vision of the SkyView unit.

I tweaked the colours and some styles used on the SkyView maps to make them much easier to see. My post on the Dynon SV forum describes how to achieve it: http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1484509086

All the best.
Carl
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 08:24:43 am by Admin »

Keithvinning

Re: Connecting Pilot Aware to SkyView
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 06:00:17 pm »
Hi Carl

Top marks for publishing this to help others. Great Post

Keith

Easy Cruising

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 08:04:17 am »
Looks good. Just wondering : Does the Dynon Sykview show bearingless targets?

carlp101

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 03:36:58 pm »
No. You get a verbal warning from SV, but nothing on the screen.

mutley

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 02:16:41 pm »
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread.

Can anyone let me know what pins on the female D9 RS232 connector the Tx and Rx wires from the Dynon should be connected to?  I'm thinking that the Tx for the device on one side of the plug would be the Rx for the device on the other side - or am I overthinking it?

Thanks

Steve

BobD

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 08:30:11 am »
You are correct, pin 2 is RD, pin 3 is TD, and pin 5 is GRD on the 9 pin DSub Connector. See https://www.db9-pinout.com/

Buy a good quality USB to serial cable as suggested by Carl, I tried a cheapo one and had no end of trouble, until I changed it.

mutley

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 10:11:55 am »
That's great, thanks.  Have ordered the USB connector from the link above, when the d-sub connector arrives I will give it a go.

mutley

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 10:57:27 am »
Any thoughts on why my setup might not be working?

Cable purchased from link at the top of the thread.

Using serial port 3 on the Dynon, set to "FLARM TRAFFIC", 57600 baud, serial out device = NONE

USB port 2 on the PAW, set to FLARM OUT with a baud rate of 57600.

Next steps are to check the ground connection and maybe try swapping the TX/RX wires over.

I would have posted photos but my attempts have failed!

Thanks

Steve

Raven22

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 10:15:28 pm »
Hi Steve
If you have used a 9 pin D sub to connect the RS232 to the Skyview you should have the orange wire (TX) in the cable from the PAW to pin 3 and the black to pin 5 if using a male half of the connector.  The female should have pin 3 (RX) routed to pin 7 on your Skyview 37 pin connector and pin 5 to ground. Same principle if you have just soldered the connections.
I assume that on your Skyview you are currently getting "Traffic Fail" as a message.  Once this is working you should get “Flarn Ok” and you should see your RS232 device on one of the USB lines on the PAW configuration page.
Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 05:56:08 pm by Raven22 »

exfirepro

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 08:57:08 am »
Hi All,

A bit of clarification.

The RS232 cable (and other connected devices) will appear in the USB devices list at the bottom of the Home Screen, but in no particular order.

The USB Ports on the PAW Classic and Rosetta are numbered.....

Ethernet    Port 1    Port 3
Ethernet    Port 2    Port 4

So be careful to configure the correct port in the Configure Screen.

IME, this is the cause of most configuration errors with external devices.

Also be careful when buying cables advertised as FTDI on internet sites - there are a lot of fakes out there. I normally buy from RS (dearer but next day delivery) or Farnell (cheaper but postage is extra).

Let us know when you get it working.

Regards

Peter

mutley

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 10:05:31 am »
Thanks all, will have another go at it tomorrow!

BobD

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 08:53:10 am »
Mutley, You can get an idea if data is flowing between PAW and Skyview from the Serial Port configuration page (SETUP MENU > SYSTEM SETUP >SERIAL PORT SETUP), if you look at the TX & RX  & Error Counters . You can also take a screenshot to a USB stick at any time by pressing buttons 2 & 7 simultaneously (Page 21,2 of the Installation Manual explains this and how to download various error logs), which can be useful in debugging the system

I have attached a screenshot from one of my tests when I was troubleshooting my installation, that showed a problem. I have also attached a copy of my D37 Connector cabling, showing the wiring connections I was using for Serial Port 2. I'll take a screenshot of my working configuration when I am next at the airport.

mutley

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 07:40:37 am »
Swapped the Tx and Rx wires over, all working now!

exfirepro

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 10:30:39 pm »
Swapped the Tx and Rx wires over, all working now!

Sorry, that’s the other common fault - I should have added that to my earlier post.

Regards

Peter

BobD

Re: SOLVED - Connecting Pilot Aware to SkyView
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 07:25:54 am »
Glad you got it sorted Mutley.
For the avoidance of doubt, I have attached the screenshot I took yesterday of my working system, showing what the serial port on the Skyview should report, i e. Traffic on RX, none on TX.