Author Topic: Radar View  (Read 7537 times)

turkeysneck

Radar View
« on: February 23, 2017, 09:03:05 pm »
Does anybody know if a permant radar view guage is available to permanently fit into the dash panel. This would be so much easier and neater than another tablet to get in the way.

Keithvinning

Re: Radar View
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 09:51:07 pm »
Hi turkeysneck

There isn't one available at the moment but its a thought. How much would you pay for it?
Round or square?

Ian Melville

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 09:57:16 pm »
None that I am aware of. Flarm has a range of displays that could potentially be used by PilotAware, but Lee would have to add code to ensure it showed all traffic types in a consistent way.

Flarm displays are not cheap. Another option would be to utilise a second Pi running as a web browser and using one of the touch displays available for Pi. Home brew but a darn sight cheaper. Might just take a punt and try it myself.

Ian Melville

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 10:03:49 pm »
Seeing Keiths Post, I think there is a market if the price is right to undercut Flarm Displays. I have seen several comments that  a very simple direction/threat level displayed on LEDs would be desirable. Lee would need to add threat levels to all messages rather than just mode C/S messages and messages originating from a Flarm unit.

There are a lot of options out there for wanabe tinkerers if the messages are fully populated  :o

turkeysneck

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 10:29:12 pm »
I want it round to match my other guages, I don't care about the cost I just want it.
The radar view is the way to go by far.

Ian Melville

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 10:43:25 pm »
Round LCD displays could be a bit of an issue. A square LCD within a round display would be too small for the radar display. The other option is something like this.

turkeysneck

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 10:56:13 pm »
Do they do a larger lcd display the same size as the altimeter, surely that would be large enough ?

Ian Melville

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 11:12:47 pm »
These are57mm
http://www.air-avionics.com/air/index.php/en/products/collision-avoidance/air-traffic-display-increase-traffic-awareness
http://www.air-store.eu/epages/AIRStore-LuftfahrtbedarfundAvionik.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/AIRStore-LuftfahrtbedarfundAvionik/Products/B102
http://www.lxnav.com/accessories/flarmview-57.html

Cannot see any 80mm which is the usual altimeter size. I suspect because glider generally use the smaller instruments. I still think Radar display at this size would be a mistake. LEDs as the image above is a better idea.

BTW, none of these currently work with PAW, but show what can be done.

grahambaker

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 06:05:41 am »
A cheap second hand phone off eBay?

tnowak

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 08:55:37 am »
No idea if it is feasible but what about utilizing a display like Trig use for their radio and TT21 transponder?
No separate LED indicators etc. but might just be big enough to display the essential information.
Tony

Ian Melville

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 09:18:40 am »
Graham, I agree that is a more sensible option but I can understand where the OP is coming from. Just turn it on an go, completely intergrated in the panel.

I'm wondering if it is possible to shoehorn a 3.5" display into a bezel that can fit a 80mm cutout, an still keep it circular.

turkeysneck

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 08:07:31 pm »
I think something like this is probably the way forward. Just a simple panel mountable LCD screen.

http://uk.farnell.com/midas/mct035u6tw320240lmlc/lcd-graphic-display-320-x-240/dp/2483368

As the PAW is basically a minature computer it's just a case of figuring out the correct cable to connect it. Unless I'm totally wrong. I can't see why this wouldn't work.

Ian Melville

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 08:19:21 pm »
Not sure that screen would work with Pi, but there are plenty at that size that will, touch screen as well. Not to mention that price is fourfold what you could pay elsewhere.

turkeysneck

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 08:47:55 pm »
I'm sure connecting it isn't an issue, my concern is the software though.

Richard

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 09:06:58 pm »
Just another suggestion but if your looking for a second display for the radar. How about a smart watch running android? There are some with larger screens they may be ok. Has anyone got a smart watch they could try?

Richard.
Europa XS