Author Topic: Setup  (Read 16737 times)

Richard

Setup
« on: August 06, 2015, 12:03:21 am »
Hi All,
     I have just finished building the hardware... after plugging into the TV I get just a flashing color screen, and nothing ells. ( SD Card Installed)

On the Hardware... the PI lights up OK but should the Digole also light up on first power or does it not light up until the software in full installed? As I have no lights on the Digole.

Also I have the 1GB PI Is anyone using this successfully or should I have got the PI B+ the earlier version?

Thank You in advance.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 12:05:45 am by Richrd »
Richard.
Europa XS

Admin

Re: Setup
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 07:47:55 am »
Hi All,
     I have just finished building the hardware... after plugging into the TV I get just a flashing color screen, and nothing ells. ( SD Card Installed)

On the Hardware... the PI lights up OK but should the Digole also light up on first power or does it not light up until the software in full installed? As I have no lights on the Digole.

Also I have the 1GB PI Is anyone using this successfully or should I have got the PI B+ the earlier version?

Thank You in advance.

Hi Richard
Sorry to say this is incompatible as it stand, there is an article here :-
http://thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry-pi-tutorials/16982376-updating-raspbian-on-your-microsd-for-the-raspberry-pi-2

Looks like there would be some porting work to support the pi2

ADDENDUM:

I could take a look at applying the patches and building an EXPERIMENTAL disk image if you want to try that ?
The problem is that I do not have access to a PI 2 to verify this myself.

Probably be a few days before I could get to doing this work

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 09:41:39 am by Admin »

Richard

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 10:40:35 am »
Lee,
    Thank you for your reply. I have ordered the B+

I can send you the PI 2 for you to work on if you like... It will only sit here doing nothing.... If you get it working OK I could Pay for the remaining parts for you to complete it.  Can you send me you Address as where to post.

ThX Richard
Richard.
Europa XS

Admin

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 06:39:46 pm »
Lee,
    Thank you for your reply. I have ordered the B+

I can send you the PI 2 for you to work on if you like... It will only sit here doing nothing.... If you get it working OK I could Pay for the remaining parts for you to complete it.  Can you send me you Address as where to post.

ThX Richard

Sent email
Thx
Lee

Richard

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 07:55:14 pm »
Lee,
 Thank You. I will pop it in the post on Monday. 

OK The Pi arrived today I have the same problem. I can not get it to boot. (I have the Image file unpacked and in the root of the SD card) All i get is a flashing color screen on the TV with no options to install the OS. Same thing on different TV's.
   The Pi also came with a copy of its own OS and also does the same thing. I Have tried with no hardware connected too, but just the same. Can any one help!!!

HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!  OK Its booted. I have used a mobile phone charger And all is Good.    It was the USB power cable. I will leave the above comment incase some ells has the same problem 

Richard
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 08:27:50 pm by Richrd »
Richard.
Europa XS

Admin

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 09:02:47 pm »
I was just about to post that it is a power issue.
I suggest you try the pi2, another user reported installation was successful on pi2, although not yet run the software

Have you given me your wifi dongle mac address for the license code ?
Thx
Lee

Richard

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 10:29:38 pm »
Lee,
     I have just Emailed the MAC to you

I will try the Pi2

Richard
Richard.
Europa XS

Richard

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 06:31:54 pm »
Lee,
    I'm Still having problems !!!!  It is looking more like a compatibility or something....

OK I can get the IPad to see the PilotWare  ( the Unit you have put together for me. Thank you for this) I Know it works because you have tested it. It keeps dropping out before I've even got it sorted with in Sky demon.  Sometimes the WIFI lights are on And sometimes they don't come on at all unless I restart the unit. Some times the Ipad will see it and sometime it will not. That is as far as I can get with it. If I plug the DV Receiver back it I cant get the WiFi to even light up and nothing can see it If Removed The PC and Ipad can see it. but drops out. I was wondering if it could be a power supply fault too. I'm awaiting a better cable but not yet arrived.

Do you also have any Ideas?

Richard.
Europa XS

Admin

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 07:26:32 pm »
Lee,
    I'm Still having problems !!!!  It is looking more like a compatibility or something....

OK I can get the IPad to see the PilotWare  ( the Unit you have put together for me. Thank you for this) I Know it works because you have tested it. It keeps dropping out before I've even got it sorted with in Sky demon.  Sometimes the WIFI lights are on And sometimes they don't come on at all unless I restart the unit. Some times the Ipad will see it and sometime it will not. That is as far as I can get with it. If I plug the DV Receiver back it I cant get the WiFi to even light up and nothing can see it If Removed The PC and Ipad can see it. but drops out. I was wondering if it could be a power supply fault too. I'm awaiting a better cable but not yet arrived.

Do you also have any Ideas?

Hi Richard
Yup, power, power, power.

Is this the one you sent to me which I had working ?

Can you tell me your configuration ?
What is the power source ?
What is the usb cable, how long is it, does it have an AWG rating ?
Post some pics
I have seen massive differences due to power source and usb cable

Thx
Lee

peastlake

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 09:18:50 pm »
This is probably going to sound dumb, but I've assumed that the DTV receiver dongle has to have its supplied antenna attached. It's not shown on the "finished" pictures in the build manual, but I'm guessing it's needed?

Richard

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 09:38:51 pm »
Lee,
   You are Correct. All working now. I managed to find another USB power cable and tried that (Its a Old Galaxy Phone USB) and hay!!! presto!!! all fired into action.
   You are on the ball with the Power Cable and Power supply. I gave myself a good slap for not trying it (earlier. (Sorry to be a pain)

Thank you for all your help.

Richard
Richard.
Europa XS

Admin

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 09:58:23 pm »
Lee,
   You are Correct. All working now. I managed to find another USB power cable and tried that (Its a Old Galaxy Phone USB) and hay!!! presto!!! all fired into action.
   You are on the ball with the Power Cable and Power supply. I gave myself a good slap for not trying it (earlier. (Sorry to be a pain)

Thank you for all your help.

Richard

Hi Richard
I can tell you I am breathing a sigh of relief, but it is clear the quality of supply is critical.
Thx
Lee

Admin

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 10:00:17 pm »
This is probably going to sound dumb, but I've assumed that the DTV receiver dongle has to have its supplied antenna attached. It's not shown on the "finished" pictures in the build manual, but I'm guessing it's needed?

Hi Paul
Yes you are right, I should update the pics, this could be confusing
I dont think you would get any traffic without the antenna.

Thx
Lee

BobD

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 04:47:44 pm »
Hi Lee,

I have ordered all the parts, and they have started arriving, so I hope to start the Hardware Build in the next few days.

IN the Hardware section of the Documentation, you state :

"By default the board will provide 5V to the ARF
THIS WILL DESTROY THE ARF
in order to make it 3.3v you MUST remove the JMP connector
Circuit diagram attached."

There is no circuit diagram apart from that in the Documentation.

Excuse my ignorance, but is this as simple as cutting the thread that leads from  JMP to the square hole above the words PWR ?
I have looked at the unit under a magnifying glass, and the two halves of the JMP do not appear to be connected ?

I am going to build two units, but have only been able to source one regulator board from the UK, I am waiting for the second to arrive from China, so I don't want to destroy the only one I have !

TIA

BobD

Aerial

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 07:17:10 pm »
Hi Richard, like you I am also collecting parts. My regulator boards came with nothing bridging the space between the square pads where the letters JMP are.

Closely examining this area, I saw nothing connected on them and there were traces of a component having been removed from the pads. I  haven't run the boards up yet but fully expect there to be 3.3V on the output as they were delivered, as we require. There is no need to cut the tracks to the pads. I'm sure that I have seen a close-up picture of this area but can't find it anywhere now, sorry. Hopefully, Lee will be along soon to explain more fully.
I hope that helps.