Author Topic: AVMAP EKP V now able to receive Flarm  (Read 9294 times)

tfede

AVMAP EKP V now able to receive Flarm
« on: February 14, 2017, 10:37:09 pm »
Hi,

with the latet software update my AVMAP EKP V is able to receive Flarm traffic information via RS232 connection.
As far as i know my PAW is not able to send the information by RS232, am i right ?
Will be possible somehow to implement RS232 transmission of such information ? It would be a very nice function to to have the traffic also on my GPS.

Federico

Ian Melville

Re: AVMAP EKP V now able to receive Flarm
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 10:42:10 pm »
PAW can send RS232 to your AVMAP. You need a USB to RS232 lead and the port it is on needs to be configured to Dynon, and the correct speed to match your AVMAP.

Google FTDI  USB-RS232-WE-1800-BT-0.0  CABLE, but get it from a reputable sourc as I understand there are a few fakes around.

tfede

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 03:34:18 pm »
Thank you Ian!

More complicated question is: may i also use a serial connection to feed PAW wit my AVMAP GPS ?
I tried several different cockpit positions for the GMOUSE GPS but i frequently loos the signal (or at least my Ipad with SkyDemon is telling me this) so i would like to use a stable GPS receiver like the AVMAP.
At the moment the AVMAP is connected to my Dynon D100.

Thank you for your suggestions, if any  ;D

Regards

Federico

Admin

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 04:55:00 pm »
I have been thinking that maybe we can simplify what data goes to/from RS232, rather than the method we have right now
in most cases you either want traffic or gps, in or out, So I was thinking of an interface

PORT := 1,2,3,4
BAUD := 4800, 9600, ...
GPS := None, In, Out
TRAFFIC := None, In, Out

This would probably work in all cases, so for example for a transponder for ADS-B
PORT=n, BAUD=x, GPS=Out, TRAFFIC=None

For Flarm-In
PORT=n, BAUD=x, GPS=In, TRAFFIC=In

For Flarm-Out & GPS-Out
PORT=n, BAUD=x, GPS=Out, TRAFFIC=Out

In this particular case of AVMAP
PORT=n, BAUD=x, GPS=In, TRAFFIC=Out

This kind of covers all bases I think
Thx
Lee

tfede

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 09:26:34 pm »
Hi Lee,

suggested config i think is perfect, one port and 2 functions would be great!

Federico

tfede

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 12:00:06 am »
Just form my knowledge, does PAW support 2 usb2serial ports like for instance 1 with TTL levels and a second with standard RS232 levels ?

And... as far as i remember Raspberry embed a TTL levels serial, may this be also used ?

Regards

Federico

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 01:56:20 am »
Am I right in thinking there's a data format switch as well, that you support either Flarm or GDL-90 output?

Admin

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 07:49:05 am »
Am I right in thinking there's a data format switch as well, that you support either Flarm or GDL-90 output?

Hi Paul

I prototyped GDL90 over RS232 to use with a Garmin system. When I pressed Garmin over the interface spec, they changed their mind and said, actually its GDL39, and we cannot give you details.
So in fact there are no systems that seem to require a wired GDL90 interface. So this could be deprecated

Thx
Lee

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 10:45:53 am »
Ah, ok, I thought I'd seen someone use it for something built-in recently. Could have been mistaken.

Ian Melville

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 04:36:44 pm »
Lee, I wanted to check this out myself and get some more facts after experimenting a bit.

Can the Dynon out setting be used for FLARM displays to show FLARM  and other traffic? IIRC FLARM has a threat level in the message, not sure if this is used by the displays?

Admin

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 05:17:53 pm »
Lee, I wanted to check this out myself and get some more facts after experimenting a bit.

Can the Dynon out setting be used for FLARM displays to show FLARM  and other traffic? IIRC FLARM has a threat level in the message, not sure if this is used by the displays?

I am pretty certain the Dynon setting simply sends the flarm PFLAA, PFLAU messages without any GPS messages.
I only set the threat level for bearingless targets, in order to get the colored rings as seen in SD

I remember another request for Dynon to take GPS in from the Dynon system, which is why I thought the ability to control
Traffic In/Out and GPS In/Out on a per RS232 interface would be useful

Thx
Lee

Admin

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 05:21:06 pm »
Just form my knowledge, does PAW support 2 usb2serial ports like for instance 1 with TTL levels and a second with standard RS232 levels ?

And... as far as i remember Raspberry embed a TTL levels serial, may this be also used ?
Regards
Federico

The voltage levels in the interface are nothing to do with PAW.
The lead you connect could either be
- USB -> Serial TTL
- USB -> Serial RS232

As far as the Software is concerned its sending and receiving characters, whether those characters are represented in TTL or RS232 logic is down to the hardware lead utilised.

In terms of number of leads, you can configure all 4 USB ports independantly

Thx
Lee

tfede

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 10:07:09 pm »
Lee,

my question about the Raspberry serial port was intended to avoid the use of other usb devices and use the integrated one straight as it is.

Question is due because AVMAP EKP V docking station have 2 serial ports, one is rs232 standard level and the second is TTL level.

Federico

JCurtis

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 11:01:23 pm »
I'm pretty sure the Pi uses 3.3v for all the IO pins and none are 5v tolerant, so be wary. Not all TTL levels are the same and they are easily damaged.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Admin

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 11:13:19 pm »
My misunderstanding, the gpio serial port is already in use by the bridge
Thx
Lee