Author Topic: Skydemon time out  (Read 8208 times)

Jim13

Skydemon time out
« on: February 01, 2017, 01:14:54 pm »
Hi there,

just finally got all the requisite prts including 20Awg power cable and am testing unit (home built) on my IPad before using it aloft. One thing I am experiencing is Skydemon losing GPS.

This happens if I have, for example, switched to the PAW instruction manual in Ibooks to readup on particular items. On returning to Slydemon it has lost GPS.

Is this a normal  "timeout" issue?

Thanks,

Jim

exfirepro

Re: Skydemon time out
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 04:31:06 pm »
Hi Jim,

It probably hasn't actually lost gps, but if you aren't careful how you switch between apps, the iPad effectively disconnects SkyDemon from PilotAware, which it reports as 'lost connection to gps'. The easiest way to prevent this happening is to 'double click' the home button on your iPad which brings up all open windows and just reselect the relevant app 'window'. This usually avoids the problem as SD keeps running in the background.

Regards
Peter

Jim13

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 04:34:33 pm »
Thank you Peter will give it a try

Admin

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 10:10:13 pm »
I thought no what happens is the following, skydemon gets put into the background, then the connection is lost.
This is a *feature* of ios

Thx
Lee

Robski

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 07:27:55 am »
Yet another reason to use Android...  ;)

Rob.
Rob
If the good Lord had intended man to fly He would have given him more money.

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 09:22:31 am »
Hi Rob,

FWIW I use both in testing - though I tend to 'prefer' the iPad mini mainly because of its 4x3 screen format as I can't fit a tablet in 'Portrait' orientation in the flexwing without it potentially being smacked by the control bar and a landscape screen limits the view ahead. Our AFI has recently started using a 4x3 android tablet (Samsung I think) which I need to investigate.

The beauty of PilotAware is that you can quickly swap between systems or use a combination, e.g. my iPad mini for the main screen and my Galaxy phone for radar display. Plus often during testing AlanG in my back seat using a separate Android / EasyVFR setup for comparison.

Horses for Courses  ;)

Regards

Peter

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 11:09:04 pm »
Yet another reason to use Android...  ;)

I'm not sure Android is much better, if you pull up another program, the nav one goes into the background. Not sure how much keeps running in the background.

The best way to deal with this is a whole row of phones or tablets!  :o

grahambaker

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 06:48:27 am »
It's not been my experience that iOS drops the connection when pulling up another app. I have often done this when checking the PAW browser screen for traffic details, or changing a setting, and still been able to go back to SkyDemon with no problems. As a precaution, I aways try to restart the machine just before flying and only load apps which I actually will want to use, just to eliminate any chance that an irrelevant app running silently in the background interferes with things.

Closing the lid on the cover, if you have one, or otherwise putting the device to sleep will drop the connection.

Ian Melville

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 07:49:27 am »
My experience is mixed, and there seems to be no set rule as to when SkyDemon disconnects the flight due to lost GPS while switching apps. I have not had the iPad drop the Wi-Fi due to switching. When flying I just make a point of never switching to another app, and it has never been an issue.

No experience of Android so cannot comment on that OS.

tfede

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 01:41:20 pm »
Hi, i also have  random "GPS timeout" issues with my Ipad mini and Skydemon

When i get this Skydemon error there are no other apps running on the ipad, GPS signal is ok (i have the traffic still workin on my AVMAP GPS through RS232) and WiFi is not lost. PAW and Ipad are Always running with battery power (no power from Airplane).
It happens randomly only during flight, usually within 5 to 10 minutes from airborne and then again and again and again...
It never happens if not Flying.

Suggestions are very welcome !

Federico

Admin

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 03:04:42 pm »
Hi Federico

Could you be specific about the error message you get, because there are 2 messages very similar, I think what you are seeing is probably the message

SkyDemon for iPad
The connection to your GPS has been lost

Is this correct ?

This indicates a general connection error, usually due to a Wifi disconnect.
This could be due to WiFi interfence or Power issues

Could you describe the exact power setup to PilotAware and your iPad, are they on the same power source ?
Are there any other WiFi devices in operation (phones etc)

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 03:16:09 pm by Admin »

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 02:28:45 am »
Try altering the Wifi settings. Also if the units are close together, try separating them a bit.

tfede

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 10:41:38 pm »
@Admin: you are right, the message is that. PAW power is fed through a powerbank with a 3 Amps output (benchtested), Ipad runs on it's own battery. And yes, there are other devices running wifi, my iphone for sure.

@Paul: i will try this, first i will reduce the wifi dongle power to minimum and test again.

I'll keep you all posted on the result.

Federico

tfede

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 10:23:25 pm »
Short update, changed PAW WiFi power from 100 mW to 10mW, still getting " connection to gps lost".

exfirepro

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 09:16:59 am »
Frederico,

What version of iOS are you running? There was a period a few months back where some of us were experiencing this type of problem when we first upgraded our pads to iOS 10. The problem seems to have sorted itself out with newer updates (I'm now running iOS 10.2.1).

Also worth trying intermediate WiFi power levels (I am currently running 20mW) and also try changing WiFi mode to see if this helps - though preferably only make 1 change at a time and test before making any further changes.

Regards

Peter