Author Topic: Stock levels and Micro SD card  (Read 4905 times)

mo0g

Stock levels and Micro SD card
« on: February 01, 2017, 07:26:01 am »
Hi all,

I am intending to buy the components to build my own PAW, a couple of questions;

1) The bridge is out of stock on the website, how does new stock get added or when is new stock expected?
2) Is the SD card only used for data storage where the transfer rate does not matter?  The link on the hardware page to the the sd card doesn't work so I can't see what class the recommended one is.

Thanks

Mark

Admin

Re: Stock levels and Micro SD card
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 07:41:52 am »
Hi Mark,

PilotAware seems to be having a run at the moment, I know Dave Styles is working to replenish stock, he may give an update here.

regarding the SD Cards, this is the definitive answer from the foundation as far as I can see
http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards

Thx
Lee

mo0g

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 08:04:40 am »
Thanks, I'll order an 8gb class 10 micro sd I think, anything smaller is hard to come by and I don't trust ebay for memory cards.

I look forward to the stock update.

mo0g

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 09:03:11 am »
Any news on new stock yet?

Admin

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 09:24:35 am »

I see there is stock available at the moment,
all for complete units at the moment

Thx
Lee

mo0g

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 09:31:19 am »

I see there is stock available at the moment,
all for complete units at the moment

Thx
Lee

I am waiting for just the bridge, I am doing my own build, do you know when this is likely to be back in stock?

Thanks

DaveStyles

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 08:33:57 pm »
Hi,

a few PAW Bridges back in stock.

regards

Dave.

Robski

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 04:08:06 am »
Hi mo0g,

Unless you have most of the bits already I would buy a ready built and tested PAW.

I built mine back in the early days using a model B+ using a slice of pi and soldering iron etc, so assembling one doesn't bother me. It's just a question of economics now. There's very little to be saved building your own, and the chances of getting a wrong bit (wrong wireless network usb for example) is quite high (e.g. suppliers advertise one chipset but supply another).

Rob
Rob
If the good Lord had intended man to fly He would have given him more money.

mo0g

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 04:48:10 pm »
I had ordered everything by then, and received everything apart from the GPS dongle.

If any dongle chipset is wrong I can always send it back for a refund and get it from elsewhere.  Although I didnt do it for cost reasons, sourcing the various bits separately was about £10 cheaper in the end I think, but yeah, buying from ebay is always a bit of a gamble for these things, not being sure if the 'UK versions' are the same but marked up in price, or there are counterfeit items from China.  I buy all memory cards etc from amazon now as that is definitely one area where there are too many fakes on ebay!

Keithvinning

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 04:52:09 pm »
Interesting that you calculate the difference when building it yourself, to be £10 cheaper which is what we calculated. Building yourself is a labour of love not an economic triumph. Good fun though if you are that way inclined.