Author Topic: Radar3D - New Pilot Aware traffic display.  (Read 8057 times)

Deker

Radar3D - New Pilot Aware traffic display.
« on: January 22, 2017, 02:52:49 pm »
I am proud to show off the work of my nephew, James Rose, a young and talented student software developer, .

Myself, not being absolutely happy with the way in which current navigation displays show traffic, I wanted something clearer and less cluttered and a separate dedicated traffic display.
Also, I find assimilating the track, relative height and climb / decent information on the "birds eye view" style traffic displays not as intuitive it could be, hence Radar3D was born.

The typical TIS display puts your view directly above your own aircraft.
Radar3D positions your 'view' behind and above your own aircraft so that other aircraft can be show in a perspective view.

Your own aircraft is shown in the centre of the "Radar disc".
The relative height of other aircraft is shown with a vertical "tape measure", stopping at your level, either from above or below.
Track is shown by a direction line attached to the intruder aircraft.
Climb / decent / level flight is presented as a square for level flight, upward or downward triangles show the change the vertical separation of the intruder.

It is quick to distinguish which aircraft is the greatest threat without needing to read individual heights and climb information found on a typical TIS type display.

Photo below is of simultaneous screen grabs from sky demon (which I use and find excellent) and Radar3D showing a direct comparison of Radar3D and other style of display.

Next screen shot shows that the highest risk intruded is the aircraft with no "tape measure"  and is at or close to your level, also on a converging track.

Photo showing an aircraft below but climbing towards your level, low threat as is passing behind.

The radar display operates in Track up mode so that all other aircraft positions are shown relative to your own heading.
The display can be configured to suit, being able to set the distance of the range rings and also to ignore aircraft above or below your level by any preferred figure, etc etc.
i.e. you can set the display to show aircraft withing reception range of over 100miles or set to a more local level of 5 miles range and +- 2,000ft for example.
The display will show all traffic received by Pilot Aware and also show mode C and Mode S warning banners.
Radar3D connects to Pilot Aware wirelessly and is intended to be loaded onto a smart phone or tablet (currently android only).

Radar3D is IN BETA TEST. i.e for testing and evaluation.
If you choose to install and use the application, it is on the understanding that it is used entirely at you own risk.
Familiarisation  with the APP is recommended whilst being on the ground and if any airborne tests are to be made, it is advisable to do this whilst only being a passenger. As always, do not allow any device to become a distraction. To reiterate,  it is used entirely at you own risk.

The application if free :thumleft:  to download and to use without any time limitation.

James would be grateful of any suggestions, improvements  and reports of bugs / feedback, and for even the smallest of donations to help with the continuation of development.
More info will be loaded into the Pilot Aware forum Ecosystem.
Please see his web page where more information can be found as well as a link to the Google App store where the application can be downloaded (or search Radar3D on the app store).
http://www.jameserose.co.uk/radar3d.html

King regards,

Uncle Deker.

Admin

Re: Radar3D - New Pilot Aware traffic display.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 04:56:46 pm »
Great work James, I know Paul Sengupta will be pleased with this display  :)
Thx
Lee

AlanG

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 05:50:37 pm »
Hi Deker

I've already given my congrats to James in a brief email exchange with him.  Initially I couldn't get the download link to work which he fixed toot sweet and since trying it out have made the suggestion that he needs to incorporate the ability to keep the screen on whilst the app is active.  He has taken this on board and will make this change in his next update.  It will be interesting to see how he gets on with this.  I personally think it's a winner.   ;D

Alan

Keithvinning

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 07:45:47 pm »
Hi James and Dekker

Fantastic and totally within the Spirit of PilotAware and open systems. Is your app free? you should charge a nominal amount to pay for beer and pizzas no one will object to that. If they do then they are freeloaders who don't realise the time and effort that goes into stuff like this.

Well done James be proud without being proud, if you know what i mean. Top Man worthy of support.

Keith

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 11:50:54 am »
Great work James, I know Paul Sengupta will be pleased with this display  :)

Yep! Nice one!  ;D

flyingalan

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 04:23:31 pm »
Really nice display, congratulations.
A couple of comments;
does it remember last used settings when opening ?
Any chance of iPad (ios) version in future as many of us have iPads for display ?
regards

Deker

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 08:13:26 pm »
does it remember last used settings when opening ?
Any chance of iPad (ios) version in future as many of us have iPads for display ?

Hello Alan,

Thank you.
The app does remember settings and you can save a preferred configuration and restore that as required.
We've already had a number of requests for an iOS version, however apple demand $99 to set up a developer account so James wants to determine it's a display app that will have modest demand before further platforms are included.
However he is a programmer student, so to be able to tick the apple iOS box on the CV will be another motivation to do this.
Cheers,
Deker.

drvale

• Now 50 hrs with PAW from Scotland to Senegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 08:17:55 pm »
Very impressive, I purchased a cheap Android for the radar display as per PAW which I thought was impressive. Just downloaded James's version to it, will use this instead. As for keeping an Android on. You can do this by turning on developer mode. Go to Settings, About, click fairly quickly seven times on Build Number and set to Developer. This gives you a lot more Settings options including being able to keep the screen on when the unit is charging. For an iPad etc you have to be more cunning. Download a tune called Silence on iTunes and play this on repeat!!
David Vale, G-OCAD

flyingalan

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 09:28:33 pm »
Thanks for info about IOS, I suspect a bunch of us would be prepared to make small contribution each to pay Apple fee if needed ?
Also some of us have Windows phones and tablets, maybe an alternative also ?
great work
Alan

ianfallon

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 07:28:58 pm »
I love the Elite-style display - really makes the height differences stand out.

Feedback : Running it on my Asus tablet I can't edit the text fields in Settings (SSID etc). I get the keyboard but no cursor in the box. Seemed to connect to my PilotAware Wifi anyway as my SSID is "PilotAware-GSARV".

neilld

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 09:53:05 am »
I have the same issue with my ASUS tablet (Android 4.2.1).    James is aware and working on a fix.

DFN

Easy Cruising

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 08:08:11 am »
Have been flying with the Radar3D. It's really good. Wanted to ask whether it would be possible to 'activate' it for the Android 6 'split screen' capability ? The point is that I dont want my Android tablet to only show Radar3D .. I want to display my mapping application also. If the 'split screen' option were enabled, that would be possible for compatible apps.

Easy Cruising

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 06:43:03 pm »
 ... looks like that function was only for Samsung devices on Android 6 and its included in Android 7 anyway, so no need for it.