Author Topic: LAA validation requirements  (Read 5768 times)

tnowak

LAA validation requirements
« on: January 06, 2017, 02:38:32 pm »
Just wondered, is there any technical reason why a PAW/Mode S transponder configured to give ADS-B out, can't "self validate" the flag settings as required by the LAA?
The PAW will pickup the transponder transmissions but, usually, are "blocked" by PAW (adding the hex address).
Perhaps a software enhancement required to provide this capability?
Tony

exfirepro

Re: LAA validation requirements
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 04:13:45 pm »
Tony,

Your own PAW ADSB OUT will show up on your PAW Traffic Page - usually right at the top. It is filtered (by Hex Address) AFTER this stage, so it doesn't present as a target to your Nav System, but you can still see it and take a screen grab to support your Mod application. IIRC however, the LAA Mod procedure requires your 'Inspector' to witness and validate the Traffic Screen entry from a 'remote' (second) PilotAware, so best speak to him/her to see if they are OK to verify from your own display instead. If not, you will need to track down another local PAW user to help, or persuade your Inspector of the benefits of becoming a PAW owner of course! Where are you based?

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 04:15:47 pm by exfirepro »

tnowak

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 06:10:49 pm »
Peter,

I was asking on behalf of  a friend (as they say!).

We looked at the traffic status page and, I may be wrong, but I didn't think it showed the flag settings for his aircraft transponder's transmissions. However, this could have been for a technical issue which has been resolved.
I take your point about what the LAA have requested.
Thanks
Tony

Admin

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 06:21:56 pm »
Hi Tony
If the flag settings are empty, its most likely an issue is ith the transponder.
We have seen a few which required firmware upgrades
Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 10:20:24 pm »
Understood Tony,

Regards

Peter

tnowak

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 05:58:37 pm »
All sorted now thanks.
Flags are correctly displayed as well as the "Mode" status (CSA--).
Thanks for your help.

Tony

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 08:40:58 pm »
Glad to hear you have got it all sorted Tony. Well done!

Regards

Peter

MarkS

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 09:38:06 pm »
One of the reasons that the LAA require an inspectors look over is, for a fresh set of eyes to do a secondary inspection, to avoid inadvertent transmission of an erroneous HEX code. This wrong code transmission has the potential of "over transmission " of a real allocated HEX code from another aircraft. With ADS-B out position about to overtake radar surveillance outside CTA's and other congested Controlled airspace then there's  a good potential for misidentification.

When my mode S transponder was installed, the HEX code was left at factory fit of all the zero's. The Funke handbook talked about 24 bit but had no reference to the 6 digit HEX code and how that was set up. So one test flight later, I asked the local ATC centre to confirm my mode S output and had an affirmative answer, so all was well or so I thought - I'd leave the HEX code till later.
Anyway one wigging letter from OFCOM later I did a full set up and the correct codes eventually sorted
out.

That said I would expect that some inspectors know less about this system than some of the installers.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 09:39:51 pm by MarkS »

T67M

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 07:51:08 am »
24-bit = HEX code, it's just that one is easier to read and write. A bit like 20floz = 1 pint.

MarkS

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 08:23:55 pm »
 Unless you are American.

It's just a poor show with the manufacturer talking in code, when simple words would suffice.

exfirepro

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 09:37:43 am »
Hi Mark,

I wasn't for a minute suggesting that an inspection is NOT required. I fully agree with the principle that anything transmitting your location on 1090MHz should be checked to make sure it is working properly. I was simply saying that it is possible to pre-check the required SDA and SIL settings using your own PilotAware.

Whether it is acceptable for the relevant inspector to use your PAW or their own separate one to confirm those settings is of course a matter for that certifying authority.

Best Regards

Peter
(On helpdesk 'duty' from holiday in India) ???

AlanG

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 08:22:57 pm »

Peter
(On helpdesk 'duty' from holiday in India) ???

Hi Lee

I'm not happy about this, Moving the help desk to India already,   :o ;D

Alan

exfirepro

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 12:51:07 am »
Hi Alan,

Just keeping up to speed with what you lot are up to  >:( >:(

Peter