Author Topic: The latest version and FLARM  (Read 15904 times)

MikeD

The latest version and FLARM
« on: December 04, 2016, 04:56:21 pm »
Can anyone point me to the instructions on how we integrate FLARM using the latest version.  We don't have the FLARM Mouse in our motor glider but do have the LX Navigation Flarm Mini Box - Non-IGC which is capable of driving secondary Flarm displays, PDA and also LX Voice Module (via LX Flarm Splitter or Splitting Unit)

Thanks in advance.
Mike
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 05:01:24 pm by MikeD »

Ian Melville

Re: The latest version and FLARM
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 07:38:03 pm »
Hi Mike,
I ordered on of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351825013804 and a RJ12 connector to the free wires. You only need the Ground and Receive of the cable to connect to Ground and Transmit of the FLARM device.
Then you need to configure the correct USB port o the config page od the PAW to be used fro FLARM.

Admin

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 07:40:57 pm »
Hi Ian, MikeD

I would recommend connecting the TX/RX/GND
Although at the moment PilotAware does not transmit to the FLARM device, I can foresee the possibility of programming the FLARM from the PilotAware device - eg ICAO code.

Thx
Lee

MikeD

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 07:54:40 pm »
Ian.Lee,

Many thanks for the info. I will start making tracks to integrate (or try to!) with our FLARM unit. Because we operate from a gliding site the combination of PAW and FLARM will be of great benefit to all.

Mike 

Richard

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 08:12:14 pm »
 I hope to help... OK I have just integrated My FLARM RedBox with My PAW.... (See Photo) The instillation you see in the Photo is all covered inside the aircraft panel behind a hinged door for access and updates. The IPad is fixed to the door (Photo to follow) All very neat and tidy.

Here is how I connected. You need a USB to RS232 converter See Link
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162222711346?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It comes with open weirs on the end so you need to crimp a RJ11/RJ12 to the ends As Lee has mention above connect GRD/RX/TX You must get the 6pin RJ11/RJ12 as some have 4 pins and will not do your job.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200931321588?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You will also be able to complete your FLARM updates via your PC with the same cable.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 08:54:44 pm by Richard »
Richard.
Europa XS

MikeD

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 09:26:48 pm »
Richard,

Thanks very much for the info, that installation looks very good.  Every little bit of information makes things a little easier for me to understand and will help eliminate the inevitable trial and error cycle.

Mike

MikeD

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 03:05:39 pm »
I now have a  USB to RS232 converter cable and the 6 pin RJ12 along with a crimping tool.  Could someone guide me with the correct wire colour sequence within the RJ12 and possibly any testing required before flight?

Regrds
Mike

Richard

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 03:23:59 pm »
Mike
     If no one replays befor I get home I will let you know the wire order.  have you got a copy if the FLARM redbox instruction, this tells you which pins to connect
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 03:25:40 pm by Richard »
Richard.
Europa XS

MikeD

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 04:19:53 pm »
Richard,

That would be appreciated.  We have the ' LX Navigation Flarm Mini Box - Non-IGC' so I will start searching for the pin-out info.

Mike

Richard

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 08:31:32 pm »
Mike
     OK... You need to connect from your USB To RS232 converter lead

GRD (Black).......  rj12 pin 1
TXD (Orange).....  rj12  Pin 2
RXD (Yellow).....   rj 12  Pin3

The wire colour is from the diagram link suplyed for the RS232 to USB the colours may be difrent from an alternative RS232 supplier please check with the supplier.

The Diagram can be found on page 7 from the link below

http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/DataSheets/Cables/DS_USB_RS232_CABLES.pdf

The Pin order for the rj12 for LX FLARM are shown on the Redbox instructions page 10 See link below

http://lxnavigation.com/downloads/manuals/Flarm/Flarm-red-Box-SD-IGC-26-6-2013.pdf

Looking at the instructions on the FLARM Mini box it indicates the pins out are the same so it should work, they are on page 3 and states .....

• Pin 6 power input (8-16V), 4 and 1 GND (near to RF connector), 2 data in, 3 data out, 5 power for
external display

You do not need the power on pin 6. Do not bother with pin 4 & 5 ether.

Instructions here ....
http://www.cssleszno.eu/files/LXFlarmMiniBox.pdf

Hopefully you have now all the info needed. Just make sure you put the rj12 the correct way around when you crimp the plug onto your RS232 usb. (I did my first one the wrong way around) The wires are a little tricky to push into the rj12 plug too

If you are still un-sure we could make one up for you.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:29:06 pm by Richard »
Richard.
Europa XS

Admin

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 09:08:25 pm »
Thanks for posting Richard
Are we sure the cable colors are equivalent to your lead ?

I think tx/rx are green and white on my lead, I could be wrong

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:17:14 pm by Admin »

drvale

• Now 50 hrs with PAW from Scotland to Senegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 09:10:33 pm »
While on this subject and in the same vein. I currently have a Power Flarm connected to an MGL iEFIS via RS232. The MGL iEFIS has a menu setting to accept Power FLARM input and does so without hesitation. I also have the PAW that currently via WiFi provides all the PAW features to SkyDemon on an iPAD via WiFi.
The latest PAW apparently allows the addition of a FLARM Dongle - which product is this? However by adding this to the PAW will I guess use up all my USB ports.
So to get an RS232 output in a compatible Power FLARM output I would need an USB - RS232 converter and an extra USB port. The essential elements are therefore to obtain a dual full FLARM, ADS-B to both the iEFIS and SkyDemon are:
1) if I replaced the Power FLARM with a FLARM Dongle into the PAW. ( hopefully selling the former on EBay to fund the latter)
2) added a USB Hub to give an additional USB port
3) added a USB to RS232 converter ( already got one)
4) connected RS232  to MGL iEFIS using existing Power FLARM setting. ( Noting that both PAW and Power FLARM can communicate to SkyDemon via FLARM protocol and Butterfly Connect can do RS232 to SkyDemon via WiFi also)
5) Assuming RS232 out from PAW is a simple TX - RX, GND and not asynchronous.

Theory says it should work and as the claim is that the PAW has four potential output nodes then A = WiFi to SkyDemon, B = WiFi for Radar output, C = RS232 to iEFIS and D = the weather data you have not developed yet!!

So if this is doable will someone let me know please.
David Vale, G-OCAD

Richard

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 09:18:35 pm »
Thanks for posting Richard
Are we sure the cable colors are equivalent to your lead ?

I think tx/rx are green and white on my lead, I could be wrong

Thx
Lee

Hi Lee
  The wire colur is correct as long as Mike has got the correct RS232 lead and not an alternative. To be sure please check with the RS232 to USB suplyer for the wiring diagram.
Richard.
Europa XS

exfirepro

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 09:28:57 pm »
Lee,

Richard's colours are right for the FTDI lead (same as mine). As Richard has said, Mike obviously needs to check if his lead is not the same.

Regards

Peter

MikeD

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 09:33:47 pm »
Richard,

Thanks for all you trouble, the info you supplied is really appreciated.  I tried to obtain the USB -RS232 cable from the ebay link but it was unavailable so I purchased one from RS (http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/6877828/).  I will check the wire colours.

Mike