Author Topic: Sky Demon and Radar on one screen  (Read 5203 times)

Richard

Sky Demon and Radar on one screen
« on: December 04, 2016, 03:47:41 pm »
Hi All,
    Now here is a challenge !!!  Wouldn't it be cool if we could have our favorite navigation app running alongside the radar in one split screen on our Tablet device  :o I have looked already for this sort of app on Apple but there are only split screen browsers and not for running apps.  Any Ideas???
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 10:08:22 pm by Richard »
Richard.
Europa XS

Keithvinning

Re: Sky Demon and Radar on one screen
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 04:50:35 pm »
Hi Richard
Yes that would be very cool. I was Told that the new IPad Air and pro? Can do this but haven't tried this. Any users out there got one?

The side by side app available for free from the App Store does stuff from 2 browsers at the same time and I have been using this for some while now so that I can see the radar and the traffic screen at the same time.
Xcode soar does something similar so I guess it won't be long before this innovation is available on other navigation apps.

What we need to do is collectively evangelise PilotAware so that there are enough of us out there to make it worthwhile.

Keith

efrenken

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 09:54:11 pm »
Hi Richard
Yes that would be very cool. I was Told that the new IPad Air and pro? Can do this but haven't tried this. Any users out there got one?

Keith,

Just tried it with an iPad Air with Skydemon installed.

Short story: It doesn't work.

Long story: Launching SD in Flarm mode shows my position and traffic around me. Everything's alright. Bringing up Safari in split screen besides SD shows the radar screen of PAW with traffic moving all around my position. Sounds good so far, but while split screen is activated, the SD screen freezes. As soon as split screen is disabled the SD screen refreshes and keeps working as usual.

Too bad!

Best regards

Eric

Admin

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 10:14:33 pm »
I think there is a solution under Android.
A user on the flyer stand showed a split screen of radar/sd

Thx
Lee

grahambaker

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 07:22:02 pm »
@efrenken

AIUI, the iPad Air does not support full dual screen multitasking - it just plays at it.

I believe the Air 2 does, and the iPad Pro's definitely do. I have a Pro 12.9" and have dispensed with kneeboards and charts, and now run SkyDemon on the left hand side of the screen, and an note pad app called Goodnotes on the right hand side, in which I have created a simplistic plog template. Using an Apple Pencil, I can scribble on the plog with SD running perfectly on the left.

When I get home this weekend I'll be trying it out with a browser on the right hand side, displaying PAW Radar!

GarethHorne

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 08:32:44 pm »
Only just tried it with the PAW on the ground, but yes, the split screen function appears to work with radar and SkyDemon in Android 7.0 (here on a Nexus 9)

GarethHorne

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 08:34:58 pm »
Also on a Motorola Nexus 6 (bit small for using SkyDemon though..)

Keithvinning

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 11:01:48 pm »
Thanks Guy's

This really shows the power of using your existing technology and sharing your findings.
Someone on the Flyer Forum tried to say that Pilotaware was expensive and got the price of ownership up to about £700. Clearly misunderstood the power that you are demonstrating of using your existing kit.

Ho Hum

Keith