Author Topic: Cannot make PAW update to latest software 20161124  (Read 7400 times)

Easy Cruising

Cannot make PAW update to latest software 20161124
« on: December 03, 2016, 10:46:08 pm »
I just followed these instructions :

Log onto pilotaware.lode.co.uk and download the latest pilotaware.pgp file.
Transfer this file onto the memory stick.
Power up your PilotAware unit and type in 192.168.1.1 and select Updates from the menu list
Insert the memory stick into a USB slot (anyone except the WiFi one will do as the WiFi needs to be enabled..for example try the USB dongle one)
Select  Check for Updates
After about 20-30 seconds you will see some lines of code followed by PilotAware Version 20161124.

... but on the final step I never see the 'lines of code' and no update is done. The PilotAware.pgp is definitely saved on my USB stick, and it's plugged in to the 1 spare USB port I have in my PAW. PAW is powered from mains. I select 'Updates' and it shows 'Checking for Updates' .. but never gets further. I really don't know what to do from here because the PAW update process offers zero information about what it's looking for or cannot find. It just doesn't work.

Has anyone experienced the same ? Any suggestions as to what may be wrong ?

Richard

Re: Cannot make PAW update to latest software 20161124
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 08:28:05 am »
Hi
   It could be the version of your current PAW. Just to help eliminating a few things.

What version of PAW is currently installed.

If it's an older version it my not have the ability to update via USB. If this is the case. You can update via the connecting to your route or do a compleat SDCard format. Then you will be able to update via a memory stick.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 09:18:25 am by Richard »
Richard.
Europa XS

Easy Cruising

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 09:33:17 am »
Current version is 20160708. I've tried again to do this update from the USB stick (used Firefox and Chrome), but neither works. I also tried the 'connect to lan cable and wait' update method, but that won't work either, although it did work to update me to the 20160708 version. The PAW software seems to be working correctly for all other purposes. Don't think I messed with any settings either.

James Rose

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 09:55:19 am »
Hi Richard,

If you have a MicroSD to USB or any other means to plug a microSD you could try a full reinstall

Step 1) download "Full Installation Image" from http://pilotaware.lode.co.uk
Step 2) Take the Micro SD card out the PAW located at the back and plug it into a computer,
Step 3) Click accept at the bottom of here and install SDFormatter https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/eula_windows/index.html
Step 4) Run SDFormatter and select the Drive letter that is the MicroSD (if you open up my computer it should be called Recovery and then a drive letter next to it)
Step 5) Open up the PilotAware.zip file, open up the PilotAware.2016.1201 folder and copy everything inside that folder onto the MicroSD card.
Step 6) Plug it back into the PAW and it will take 10-20 minutes to automatically reinstall. You can watch the progress by plugging a HDMI lead into the PAW and then into a TV or monitor but this isn't necessary

Easy Cruising

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 09:57:16 am »
Does a full reinstall mean I lose all my settings etc ?

James Rose

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 09:58:38 am »
Yes, so if you want to do this make sure you copy down your licence key and other settings

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 10:02:54 am »
Easy C,

Much better/simpler/quicker to do a direct update by connecting your PAW by ethernet cable to your home router as per instructions on page 39 of the PAW Operating manual, see here  http://www.pilotaware.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/160914-Operational-manual.pdf

That way you don't lose your settings.

You will then be able to do subsequent updates by the Memory Stick method.

The manual update method suggested by JJ is now old hat as it is long winded and effectively means a complete re-format of your card and re-install every time. Nowadays we reserve it as a 'last resort' only if all else fails (which isn't often).

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 10:06:53 am by exfirepro »

James Rose

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 10:09:35 am »
exfirepro,

I only recommended the full reinstall as it seems he tried both the Ethernet and memory stick method

The PilotAware.pgp is definitely saved on my USB stick, and it's plugged in to the 1 spare USB
I also tried the 'connect to lan cable and wait' update method, but that won't work either,

exfirepro

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 10:22:09 am »
Hi again,

Sorry, JJ I missed that bit! :-[

OK, USB update won't work unless you have version 20160820 installed. I suggest removing all dongles from the PAW, reconnecting to the router with the ethernet cable before powering up the PAW and give the ethernet method another try. (The problem is likely to be a conflict between the WiFi and Wired router IP addresses).

Removing the dongles is the simplest and quickest way to get round this.

Regards

Peter

Easy Cruising

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 11:43:05 am »
Thanks exfirepro, the 'LAN cable' update with all dongles removed has worked, so I got the latest version. Really appreciate the help from those who responded.

ianfallon

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 11:28:54 am »
I've also not managed to get the upgrade via USB to work - in the same way, from the previous software version. The last step doesn't work for me.

Worse than that - it appears to have trashed my USB stick (which had other things on it!) to the point of reformatting :-(

Admin

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 12:06:04 pm »
Hi Ian,

I've also not managed to get the upgrade via USB to work - in the same way, from the previous software version. The last step doesn't work for me.

Worse than that - it appears to have trashed my USB stick (which had other things on it!) to the point of reformatting :-(

By any chance, did you have the port you were using configured as something else, such as 'transponder out' ?
If so, it will simply use it as a raw device and blat data to it.
We saw a similar issue of the the port configured as Flarm-IN, which gave very strange results when reading raw data from the USB stick

When using USB/RS232 bridge configuration, there is no way of knowing what the end device is, in the same way you can know for a GPS, or an RTL-SDR.

Sorry to hear it trashed the USB, I hope you have a backup

Thx
Lee

ianfallon

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 12:11:41 pm »
I think it might be worth looking to see if it has a regular USB filesystem that will mount before blatting data to it.
I'm not entirely sure what I had on the stick - ho hum.

exfirepro

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 04:12:39 pm »
Hi Ian,

It was one of my 'spare' test PAWs that went crazy when trying to do a '.pgp' engineering update through Port 1. I had forgotten that I previously configured Port 1 for 'FLARM-IN' and it started reading all the PAW track logs stored in a PilotAware folder from my previous flights and went completely crazy, zooming all over the UK with literally hundreds of aircraft on screen at the same time.

Fortunately I had nothing else on the stick and have since confirmed that the .pgp USB updates work fine as long as you don't use a port which is configured for FLARM-IN or presumably ADSB-OUT!! Now we know!! Sorry you had to be the one to find out!

Regards

Peter

Robski

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 05:15:24 am »
Current version is 20160708.
That is the problem.

USB update only arrived with the September release, I believe.

Made the same mistake myself. RTFM.
Rob
If the good Lord had intended man to fly He would have given him more money.