Author Topic: Sky Demon ?  (Read 3335 times)

turkeysneck

Sky Demon ?
« on: February 12, 2017, 10:13:58 pm »
I've followed all the instructions, hooked it up to Sky Demon but I can't tell if it's actually working. All the lights are green in the home page settings, so I presume everything is fine.
I'm still not sure if it's working. In Sky Demon my aircraft icon is displayed with no information such as registration or height etc, is this correct ? I thought that once it was set up correctly it would display some information on the icon or is this just the case for other aircraft not my own ?

Ian Melville

Re: Sky Demon ?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 11:12:37 pm »
Only details for other aircraft. Has SkyDemon connected and is displaying the correct location of your current position? Zoom out until you see more of the country, by Default SD zooms in read close.

turkeysneck

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 06:00:00 pm »
Thanks, not sure what you mean by connected but it shows the current aircraft location and appears to be working. I suppose I need to fly it next.

Ian Melville

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 06:59:55 pm »
Yes that is what I meant by connected.
You shouldn't need to go flying to see traffic, unless you are a long way from any airline routes you should see something at almost any time of the day or night.

Unless you are sure that you do not have metal coated windows take your PAW outside to give it a clear view of the sky.

Then go to the 'Traffic' page on your PAW and check that your PAW has a table of aircraft visible to it. If that is good, then fire up SkyDemon on the tablet.

Now to to the settings (the gear thingy)>Navigation Options, and scroll right down to the bottom. In the section'Show other Traffic', set the 'Show within Vertically' to something silly like 50,000ft. While you are there select 'Show Bearingless Targets', though we are not testing this at the moment.
Close the settings window, then Click 'Go Flyig' and select 'Use FLARM'.
Once SkyDemon has found the Satellites and displays your position, zoom out to see a fair bit of the country. You should see the ADSB traffic that was in that table.

turkeysneck

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 09:19:57 pm »
Thanks did that, seems to be working fine. Thanks again.

Ian Melville

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 12:15:23 am »
Great, now you can turn down that height to something sensible, otherwise you will get more in-flight alerts that are good for you, say 2 or 3000 feet?