Author Topic: Sky Demon Question  (Read 5224 times)

turkeysneck

Sky Demon Question
« on: February 08, 2017, 08:15:59 pm »
A new user and quite confused.

After following the intructions, I think I have it working correctly but yet to try it.

A couple of things I'm unsure about.

Am I right in thinking I have to select flarm when I first go flying even though I don't have a flarm mouse ?

Also it says that live data when planning needs to be selected. When I do this and I am connected to the Pilotaware I get an error trying to communicate with the Skydemon server.  How do I get around this ?

DaveStyles

Re: Sky Demon Question
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 08:42:18 pm »
I can only help with the first question.

FLARM in this context is the name of the open interface to SkyDemon used to supply traffic to SD.
So yes, choosing FLARM means you are using that interface to SD.

Don't forget to choose FLARM in the settings menu for traffic input and set the PIN.

PS. It works on the ground, you don't need to go flying to test it!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 08:44:02 pm by DaveStyles »

turkeysneck

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 08:53:07 pm »
Thanks for that.

Do you mean, in the connectivity options under traffic source ? I have that selected to Flarm and the air connect key set to 6000 ?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 09:01:15 pm by turkeysneck »

Keithvinning

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 10:43:13 pm »
That is correct
If you go to pilotaware.com it tells you how to connect to the most popular navigation packages including sky demon

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 11:44:51 pm »
A new user and quite confused.

After following the intructions, I think I have it working correctly but yet to try it.

A couple of things I'm unsure about.

Am I right in thinking I have to select flarm when I first go flying even though I don't have a flarm mouse ?

Also it says that live data when planning needs to be selected. When I do this and I am connected to the Pilotaware I get an error trying to communicate with the Skydemon server.  How do I get around this ?

Hi,

Hopefully Dave and Keith have now clarified the reason for selection of the 'Flarm' Data Protocol in SkyDemon/Settings/Connectivity Settings and the need to select 'Go Flying - Use FLARM' to start SkyDemon and enable data transfer from PilotAware to your Navigation System.

The issue with the selection of 'Live Data when Planning' is that when you are planning or downloading a route you need to have your tablet WiFi connected to the internet so you can obtain data such as Notams and Airfield Information. To fly, however, you need to connect your Tablet WiFi to your PilotAware WiFi hotspot, so you no longer have access to external data from the internet via WiFi. If you try to access this data while connected to the PilotAware hotspot, you will get an error message as you can't connected to two WiFi sources (i.e. PilotAware and the Internet) via WiFi at the same time (though this is technically possible if you can configure your tablet to connect via Bluetooth to an internet enabled mobile phone). See this thread for further info...

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,606.msg7526.html#msg7526

Let me know how you get on.

Regards

Peter

Edit: Text adjusted slightly to acknowledge Jeremy Curtis's post below, which is of course correct. If using a 3G/4G tablet or Bluetooth tethering to a 3G/4G mobile phone, you can choose to run SkyDemon on the 'Live Data when Planning and Flying' Setting and SkyDemon will continue to receive 'Live' updates in flight - providing the tablet/phone can obtain a 3G/4G internet connection.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 09:44:22 am by exfirepro »

turkeysneck

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 06:01:33 pm »
All makes sense now thanks very much.

JCurtis

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 06:30:06 pm »
If you have a tablet with 3G/4G as well as WiFi then when connected to PilotAware the cellular side is still connected to the internet.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.